• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Of all my gunsmithing adventures, this one was not for the faint of heart. After a mere 300 rounds or so of mixed specials and magnum rounds, I experienced the dreaded loose barrel nut issue that seems to plague the shrouded barrel Smiths.

I originally used a couple of torx bits between the jaws of a pair of vise grips to snug the barrel nut when I noticed it was loose. Put a dab of blue loctite on it and called it a day. It was only during some Chrono work that I noticed the ridiculously large cylinder gap. Bad enough to roast some holes in my denim sandbag in less than 100 rounds.

Naturally I decided to buy a tool myself rather than send it in. Figured if it already happened once it will inevitably do it again. Turns out EWK is pretty much the only one out there making them. $40 later it was in the mail.

Fast forward to today and I'm trying to figure the best way to hold the barrel while I loosen the nut. So I applied a lil electric tape where I thought my tools would contact the finish and went after it. Feeling the tight grittiness of the tool as I turned the nut was gut wrenching. I just knew it had to be chewing into the rifling and crown.

Turns out though the tool works as advertised and left no scarring on my barrel. The toughest part was setting the cylinder gap and trying to hold what you got as the left handed nut tries to run the barrel out as it's tightened. I admit the needle nose visegrips left their mark albeit minor scrapes around the barrels forcing cone.

In the end I'm looking at a .005" to .006" cylinder gap that was previously at .022". Needless to say I think I'll see some more velocity now but overall that whole experience was no picnic. As a mechanic by trade, I'll always try a diy approach but for the average Joe, you may do best by sending it in.

Here's a lil pic of the gun and tool post op...

Attachments

• IMG_20210318_230957227~2.jpg
      IMG_20210318_230957227~2.jpg
      1.7 MB · Views: 121
    Top Bottom