• Status
    Please reply by conversation.

SGT Dave

Very Tired
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 5, 2012
    Kyle, TX
    I need a trombone for my middle schooler. The band teacher/dictator insists on one of the following models:
    • Yamaha YSL448G
    • Bach 42BO
    • Yamaha YSL882O Xeno
    • Getzen 1047F
    • Blessing BTB 88O
    Must have F attachment

If you have any of these models please send me your asking price. Alternatively, I can trade for an almost new Jericho RS9 Steel 9mm.
    Military Camp

Last edited:

SGT Dave

Very Tired
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 5, 2012
    Kyle, TX
    I have a couple of trombones, but none of those. Your kid's band commissar has fancy tastes. Good luck keeping up with them.

I'd say delusions of grandeur if he thinks 11-year-olds need professional-grade instruments. Either that, or the teacher and/or school are getting kickbacks from Strait Music.

SGT Dave

Very Tired
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 5, 2012
    Kyle, TX
    Is Reitz Music in Austin still in business? You might be able to rent one from them.

I don't think they're still around. A couple of other stores rent, but they want $60/mo for trombones. So we'd still be out $600 with nothing to show for it. Their "rent-to-own" plans are 50% rental fees, so you end up paying double.

The whole thing's a racket.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Requiring instruments of that caliber for a middle schooler is freaking ridiculous. I went to school back when Hays High was the only high school for Buda and Kyle, and the band directors didn't even suggest better than a student trumpet for me until my sophomore year in high school.

SGT Dave

Very Tired
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 5, 2012
    Kyle, TX
    Requiring instruments of that caliber for a middle schooler is freaking ridiculous. I went to school back when Hays High was the only high school for Buda and Kyle, and the band directors didn't even suggest better than a student trumpet for me until my sophomore year in high school.
    It's been this way in Kyle for awhile. We went through the same thing with our oldest boy seven years ago.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Ugh. For all the flaws they had, the band directors when I was in that district at least had less focus on fancy image and more on quality of instruction. Half the kids in middle school band won't stay in through high school, and 90% of the kids in high school band won't continue in college. Forcing parents to shell out thousands for a fancy instrument is nothing but stupid.

SGT Dave

Very Tired
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 5, 2012
    Kyle, TX
    It all seems to be about the teacher. All this notwithstanding the fact that the school district is delaying live school for 3 weeks for "COVID safety concerns" but band, football, soccer, and softball teams are already holding live practices. The lack of proportion when it comes to certain extracurriculars is staggering.

After a bit of back and forth with the band teacher, my wife finally pulled the boy out of band this afternoon. We let our son ultimately make the decision. The fact that we bribed him with guitar lessons might have helped.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    I have a step up model with the F attachment that Mom scraped up the cash for when I was in High School. I had it serviced a few years back so the slide is in good shape. I forget what model it is but if you are interested, PM me and I will pull it out for pics and such.

It is not a high end model, but more than sufficient for middle school and high school.

SGT Dave

Very Tired
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 5, 2012
    Kyle, TX
    I have a step up model with the F attachment that Mom scraped up the cash for when I was in High School. I had it serviced a few years back so the slide is in good shape. I forget what model it is but if you are interested, PM me and I will pull it out for pics and such.

It is not a high end model, but more than sufficient for middle school and high school.

I appreciate the offer, but we signed him up for piano lessons instead.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    I appreciate the offer, but we signed him up for piano lessons instead.
    I'm curious what would have happened if your kid showed up with a model not on the "approved" list. If there was any retaliatory action against your child I would think you'd have a solid case that the school/district admin would have to deal with.... and 'OL Commissar would have some explaining to do.
    I played trombone from 7th to 12th grade. The band director was happy as long as you had your instrument with you...and if you didn't, there were loaners owned by the school.

Status
    Please reply by conversation.
    Top Bottom