• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I've ridden dirt bikes and Harleys all my life. Getting older and retired I bought a Yamaha tw200 to ride the back roads and logging roads of Angelina County. The Harleys were too heavy and geared too high.
    But the Yamaha tw200 is too small/slow/light for cruising to 55 with all these logging trucks around here. With my 280 lb 6'5 frame, it just scares the s*** out of me at highway speeds.

Although it does get about a hundred miles per gallon.

I'm looking at a used Triumph Bonneville, 2012 model with less than 500 miles on it. About $7k.

What are your thoughts? I'll probably keep the Yamaha Big tire for the dirt roads and logging trails. It's the 15 Mile trips to town that become dangerous on the Yamaha. What do you think about adding the Triumph to the repertoire?
    Capitol Armory ad

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Haven't ridden a Triumph since the 70s but I really did like it before a little old lady put it down in oncoming traffic.

Could be a bit cantankerous to kick sometimes, cold natured.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    I have a 06 865 and a new 1200 Bonnie. They're great for around town and are big enough for hwy trips.

20200319_100704.jpg

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Completely off topic (Surprised?) the across-the-street neighbor had a Triumph drag bike. He'd fire that thing up and it would rattle our windows.

EdLaCrosse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    North Richland Hills, TX
    If you interested in logging and back roads, you might want to consider the Kawasaki KLR 650. It's a thumper. About $8K brand new.

I used to ride quite a bit. I never got into logging/back road experience, but several of my friends did. Most of them bought KLRs and were very happy with them.

Dead Roman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2019
    Pearland
    If you interested in logging and back roads, you might want to consider the Kawasaki KLR 650. It's a thumper. About $8K brand new.

I used to ride quite a bit. I never got into logging/back road experience, but several of my friends did. Most of them bought KLRs and were very happy with them.

If you wanna do back roads and dirt, the tenere 700 is where its at bro. That will 100% be my next bike.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    might want to look into maintenance cost on a Triumph if that is a thing that might concern you.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    I have a '14 Bonneville, probably an identical bike you're looking at. I've had it for about 3 years now, only trouble its ever given me were because a dead/old battery. The guys at the local dealership kinda joke that its a competent bike, but theres no frills and nothing exciting, not even breakdowns. The guy I bought my bike from understood he was selling it to a first time rider, and described it as a "grandma's bike" simply because its very sedate, capable of turning on city streets, but comfortable and not crazy. 60 horsepower is more than enough even for this heavy bike to get up, going, and around highway traffic. The only times i've wanted more power is being in the left lane at 80mph and someone is coming up on me really fast. It'll do 80-90 without a real struggle, but other bikes just do it faster.

I highly recommend one because of how reliable and well built they are. Aftermarket is huge, and every time I stop some old guy comes up to me to tell me about how he had one in the 70s. I'm actually looking ot sell mine for about $4500 and I know I'm going to regret it but I want something like an Indian Scout, or Thruxton R.

For what you're looking for however, you may look into the Bonneville Scrambler; comes similar to a T100, but has knobby tires, different exhaust, and is expected to do jeep trails and bump around the hills but still abouta step down from an ADV or Dual sport.

IMAG0584.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom