• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    I recently had a large ash tree cut down in my yard and the people ground the stump up and left a big pile of mulch. I had plans to plant a new pecan sapling in its place but when I went to dig, the shovel went 5” deep and bounced off what looks like the stump! Do tree removal services grind up the entire stump or is it common to go shallow and let it rot over time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Stump grind can only go so deep & that deepends on how big the gringers are. If they walked it over you are about the right depth. A huge one that towed will go 20+ inches.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I've only had stumps ground a couple of times but both times they ground it enough so that it could be covered with dirt and grass planted. The root system and a most of the underground stump remained.

Depending on the type of tree, wouldn't "grinding" and "removal" be completely different things, the latter typically requiring one heck of a lot of digging?

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    I've only had stumps ground a couple of times but both times they ground it enough so that it could be covered with dirt and grass planted. The root system and a most of the underground stump remained.

Depending on the type of tree, wouldn't "grinding" and "removal" be completely different things, the latter typically requiring one heck of a lot of digging?

Now that I’ve been thinking about it. I’m not surprised. The trunk was over 2’ in diameter so in order to remove the entire stump would be a massive hole in my yard. Oh well I’ll just keep watering the sapling

Jarine88

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2018
    Tomball
    My neighbor had three trees cut and the stumps ground about two years ago. Unfortunately, we have since discovered the extent of the root system as saplings keep popping up all over the place. Can’t kill the dang thing.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    My neighbor had three trees cut and the stumps ground about two years ago. Unfortunately, we have since discovered the extent of the root system as saplings keep popping up all over the place. Can’t kill the dang thing.

A good herbicide applied to those saplings will eventually. Best results would be letting quite a few pop up, then applying it to all of 'em as quickly as possible to maximize the amount of herbicide being drawn back into the old root system.

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    How so, If I may?

Edit: Hell... I guess all trees are mess in their own way

Ash trees drop these little sharp spade shaped seeds that get everywhere, including the bottom of your foot.
    The oak trees roots will randomly surface in places around the yard (including under my fire pit area raising a cement block) and drop acorns and twigs.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ash trees drop these little sharp spade shaped seeds that get everywhere, including the bottom of your foot.
    The oak trees roots will randomly surface in places around the yard (including under my fire pit area raising a cement block) and drop acorns and twigs.

Are those the ones that the seed is at one end and if your drop it twirls around like a helicopter blade?

Top Bottom