• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

I have spent lots of time in “civilized”, but crime-ridden parts of the World, in which I was not allowed to have my carry-gun.

After beng accosted by street ruffians on a Boston street one night, I decided to look to other defensive items.

Wherever guns are prohibited, knives & batons usually are, too.

What I developed was a basic kit of TSA allowed items: 2 Tac-lights, a police whistle on a lanyard, and a long solid wood, oak or maple, “walking stick”. I have carried the cane much longer than I’ve had my official “disabled” ID.

I have seen a “defensive umbrella” advertised, but don’t have one. I do have my P G-GF Judge’s 3’ blackjack / cane combo, but it stays in the safe as an heirloom.

I’m no “martial arts” guy, by a long-shot.

Although not as formidable as a good pistol, those items are much better than nothing. In weapons restricted regions, street attacks are likely to be from gunless assailants, often with knives.

I have used the cane and whistle in 3 Parisian street incidents.

One caveat: In LA & SE TX, a “walking stick” is referred t as a “baton” or “baton-marche” in Cajun French; but in France, a “baton” is always a weapon, so while in Europe take care to call it a “cane”. I once got a lecture on this from a French Army Captain overseeing security at Charkes de Gaulle Airport.

I’d like to hear what others do in those situations ?

leVieux
    Capitol Armory ad

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    VZ grips makes some G10 stabby pencils

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    I have many levels of edc depending on where I am going and how long I will be there. If I can't carry a gun, I carry a larger knife and flashlight. I also have some "tactical" pens, pencils, markers. I have occasionally taken G10 dagger/pencils when metal detection is probable.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I don't think in my adult life I have boarded a plane without a Delta Dart. That includes immediately after 9/11.

I don't think I've flown since they started installing those body scanners, though. If I ever do any traveling again, a cane will be in my future.
    a long solid wood, oak or maple, “walking stick”
    Who makes good ones?

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    I don't think in my adult life I have boarded a plane without a Delta Dart. That includes immediately after 9/11.

I don't think I've flown since they started installing those body scanners, though. If I ever do any traveling again, a cane will be in my future.

Who makes good ones?

Cold Steel and Cane Masters are two that come to mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Who makes good ones?
    >

Good question.

Precipitated an Old Doc “lecture”.

Many of my canes are from the “Harvy” Co. see: https://www.harvycanes.com/

or,

Those are not cheap.

One BIG, no, GIGANTIC word of advice for all seeking travel or protection canes: Your cane should be some 3 or 4” LONGER than those recommended for medical/surgical purposes.

One major use of a “travel cane” is to prevent falls. Even with modern surgery & physical therapy, a fall may break a hip which can precipitate “terminal events” in us elders. Longer canes & staffs are very, very useful for preventing falls.

But, for indoors, staffs keep getting in their user’s way.

Do not use length directions found on-line, as they ALL specify lengths used to relieve joint pain or help post-operative or post-trauma pain. They are nearly useless for fall prevention & are less useful for defense.

I guess I was prescient a bit, as I’ve always worn sunglasses and used canes, long before I needed them, so progression with aging came naturally.

I recall leaving a bullfight in Seville, held in an old Roman amphitheater with no stair-rails of hand-holds, and thanking the Lord that I had my long cane. A shorter one wouldn’t have helped any in that situation.

If traveling with my weapons, I usually take an adjustable “drug store cane”, as it will entend those extra 3 or 4”; and if lost, I’m out only $16.

I hope this info helps, some was learned the hard way.

leVieux

Last edited:

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ohe consideration some may have missed: If you try to pass TSA inspection with any concealed weapon, you will be caught and will be in trouble.

That is why my o.p. listed items which should be TSA “safe”. I have had numerous non-weapon items confiscated, including tiny blunt surgical devices “mini-pliers”, small blunt scissors, and small steel clamps. I couldn’t imagine how any of those could be considered as a “weapon”,

In would think that a “Delta Dart”, whic was designed as a weapoh, would treated nsame as a non-metal “CIA Letteropener”, which would get one arrested, same as a hidden gun.

Leaving Paris, my solid oak cane was Xray’ed several times, then taken off for some private inspection; later returned as “approved” w/o comment.

BTW, both TSA and all individual airlines have their specifics on websites. I always print and place copies into my bags, as most workers don’t have any clue.

leVieux

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    In would think that a “Delta Dart”, whic was designed as a weapoh, would treated nsame as a non-metal “CIA Letteropener”, which would get one arrested, same as a hidden gun.
    Yes. However, prior to 9/11 the number of people whose persons were searched by hand was vanishingly close to zero.

I always made absolutely sure that I was free of ferrous metal and always got through the metal detector on the first pass. My body was never searched. It was always a possibility but one I thought so small that I was willing to risk it.

I stopped flying for business about a year after 9/11, before the TSA was up and running and many years before body scanners and hand searches became common. After that, my flights were very infrequent and I no longer carried the Delta Dart(s).

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Leaving Paris, my solid oak cane was Xray’ed several times, then taken off for some private inspection; later returned as “approved” w/o comment.
    The only cane I ever had trouble with was a CamCane, an extendable monopod for photographic use. It has internal workings that look suspicious but a quick demonstration was all that was needed. Besides, I rarely flew for the jobs that required me to use that device; they were mostly just press junkets.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    One of my favorite tactics is my keys. Place a key between your index and middle finger and jab into an eye. This one is not the best for people with no understanding of footwork or boxing in the event your bad guy knows how to fight.

Try pepper gel. Good brands do work. Only crappy thing is it takes about 20 seconds to work. But with practice you could spray then back off with a cane or club at the ready. 20 seconds is a lot and I wouldn’t give your back up.

Don’t go to locations that strip you of guns

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    A branch off a Bois D' Arc tree makes a fantastic cane, as well as a defensive tool.

Any Bic pen, or any pen/pencil, will also work in close quarters defense.

And a rolled up magazine (reading type(with pages that have words and pictures on them)) will also help in a defensive position.

Keys, as stated above, are also an accessible tool. As well as one almost all of us have on hand when traveling.

Since 9/11, I've only traveled by air a total of three (3) times, and all the above have been on, or very close to my person during those forays.

Granted, after my last flight, I'll NEVER willingly fly commercial again, TSA screwed the pooch on that one, most of the above are on me anyway.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A branch off a Bois D' Arc tree makes a fantastic cane, as well as a defensive tool.

Any Bic pen, or any pen/pencil, will also work in close quarters defense.

And a rolled up magazine (reading type(with pages that have words and pictures on them)) will also help in a defensive position.

Keys, as stated above, are also an accessible tool. As well as one almost all of us have on hand when traveling.

Since 9/11, I've only traveled by air a total of three (3) times, and all the above have been on, or very close to my person during those forays.

Granted, after my last flight, I'll NEVER willingly fly commercial again, TSA screwed the pooch on that one, most of the above are on me anyway.
    >
    OK, BUT,

None of those is anywhere near as good as a good hardwood cane, police whistle& tac-lights.

I faced-off an assailant of my Wife in daytime downtown Paris with my cane, while two on-duty Gens d’Armes stood-by and laughed. But, it worked well.

leVieux
    .;

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    If the government let me I’d trade in all my guns for an m249. Hunting, protecting, it’s all covered

Top Bottom