DK Firearms

Transferring NFA Between ALREADY KNOWN Collectors??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • APynckel

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Houston, Tx
    I know the answer to this is "go to a dealer, do a form 4, and transfer it", buuuut...

The tax has already been paid, the two persons are known and already stamp collectors.. WHY THE HELL isn't the transfer of an NFA device not a simple "change of ownership" form / notice?

The rant already being the rant, WHY IS THERE NOT A FAST TRACK SYSTEM FOR ALREADY KNOWN INDIVIDUALS / TRUSTS / COLLECTORS??

Back on topic, who holds the can in the interim? The original owner, or an intermediary Class III dealer? Damnit I miss Sean Cody not being around.
    Guns International

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    When buying NFA always try to buy in state! You do not need a dealer to transfer from an individual in state! An item is held by the person holding the stamp. When the transfer of stamp happen then so does the item. As far as the tax you know damn well why it's in place! Just be glad is is what it has been all these years!

There are plenty of great lawyers who know NFA laws.

or.slacker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2018
    US
    Private transfers don't need and FFL. I've done several.
    Buyer pays seller for the can.
    Seller fills out F4 paperwork and gives to buyer. Buyer finishes F4, and pays for the stamp when mailing in form4. Then when the stamp is approved seller gives the Buyer the can.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    Because having a "frequent flier" program for NFA items makes sense, is flawlessly logical, and so of course our benevolent masters cannot allow it.

It cracks me up every time I have to wait eight to twelve months to transfer a can from my dealer account to...me...

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I know the answer to this is "go to a dealer, do a form 4, and transfer it", buuuut...

The tax has already been paid, the two persons are known and already stamp collectors.. WHY THE HELL isn't the transfer of an NFA device not a simple "change of ownership" form / notice?

The rant already being the rant, WHY IS THERE NOT A FAST TRACK SYSTEM FOR ALREADY KNOWN INDIVIDUALS / TRUSTS / COLLECTORS??

Back on topic, who holds the can in the interim? The original owner, or an intermediary Class III dealer? Damnit I miss Sean Cody not being around.

In-state does not require FFL. F4 direct. Owner holds item till xfer.

Out -of-state must go to FFL on F4. Owner holds item till xfer.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I don’t think the trust has anything to do with the physical stamp as much as e-filing. I had heard non trust are quicker because there’s generally more people on the trust to check out.

APynckel

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Houston, Tx
    I don’t think the trust has anything to do with the physical stamp as much as e-filing. I had heard non trust are quicker because there’s generally more people on the trust to check out.

Well you can't efile a form 4 with a trust.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!

My buying of NFA has come to an end some time back. IIRC there was talk of of opening e-file to trust.

At this point I would have to win a Powerball or Mega Million to buy some belt feds and a vehicle to mount them on!

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area

You can’t efile a form 4 period. It will be on paper so trust or not you will get a physical stamp. A single person trust with a beneficiary goes about as fast as an individual since there is only 1 responsible person. Add others later when you finish getting items… That is where I like the single shot trusts through Silencer Shop for items purchased through them. This way each item is separate and can be easily designated to others on my passing…and I can add specific people to specific trusts.

APynckel

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Houston, Tx
    You can’t efile a form 4 period. It will be on paper so trust or not you will get a physical stamp. A single person trust with a beneficiary goes about as fast as an individual since there is only 1 responsible person. Add others later when you finish getting items… That is where I like the single shot trusts through Silencer Shop for items purchased through them. This way each item is separate and can be easily designated to others on my passing…and I can add specific people to specific trusts.
    Gotta love Sean's post 41F trust!

GeorgeS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2018
    San Antonio
    The point is to delay your transfer as long as possible. I've had some Form 4s take five months (last year), and as long as eleven months (under the Obama administration).

E-filed Form 1s are fast, especially for individuals. My latest two took fourteen days.

E-filing of Form 4s is on the way. How long it takes to get here is the question.

APynckel

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Houston, Tx
    The point is to delay your transfer as long as possible. I've had some Form 4s take five months (last year), and as long as eleven months (under the Obama administration).

E-filed Form 1s are fast, especially for individuals. My latest two took fourteen days.

E-filing of Form 4s is on the way. How long it takes to get here is the question.
    Well it looks like they just launched efile for form 4s. Now, how to do so between 2 trusts?

GeorgeS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2018
    San Antonio
    The receiving trust would file the Form 4 (if the transferring trust is in the same state) with all required 'Responsible Persons' forms, photos, and fingerprints. If the transferring trust is in a different state, a Form 3 would be required first.

GeorgeS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2018
    San Antonio
    Thanks! So if both participants are non-dealers and in different states, they can send the item across state lines once the Form 4 is approved?

So many nuances.

Top Bottom