• ...and so much more!
  • kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    Anybody does this ?

I usually sleep alert since childhood and even a small click sound wakes me up at night. I have used this to my advantage,

I basically keep my handgun in a safe place but 2-3 times a week just when I hear something I try to take the gun and get in a ready position (ofcourse empty mag, empty chamber for training purpose only). But after some training I really feel soo many things can go bad if you are not alert and trained. Not with handling the gun but also if opening door, closet, grabbing the gun fast.

Any pointers from experts would help improvise ?
    Texas SOT

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    Not really, I have slept through mortar attacks and more recently fire alarms. LOL!!

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    My little dog with the Radar ears makes all of that unnecessary! I have him trained to give graded alerts from a quiet "woof" to a growl to a full blown barking and running around the house raising Hell! The little guy is amazing and I know my safety is well taken care of! If he barks, he's damned serious and my hand is on a 9mm or a 12 gauge immediately. I slept through a fire drill in college so being a deep sleeper was a concern. Jake will come to get me if he needs me for security issues and I wake up for him easily. He places his paws on the side of my bed and jingles his collar tags.......I'm up!

Jake is an inside dog who has a comfy bed right by the front door. He doesn't miss a thing and he is super protective of me.....and I am protective of him! I only had one dog before Jake and he was just a yard dog. Jake is the only dog that I really bonded with. I didn't train him to do tricks. He is my companion and his role in our relationship is to protect me.

Dogs and men have had a special relationship for thousands of years. I strongly suggest that you USE that special bond to protect yourself, then sleep well!

Flash

Last edited:

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Well if you want an alarm system then there is NO BETTER than some Guinea fowl. They will roost in trees around the house and nothing works better. Very common for folks out in the country to keep Guinea fowl for that exact purpose.

I personally do not sleep well if at all if its quiet. When it gets quiet I wake up instantly. Quiet means something bad is gonna happen and always has. Many heavy combat vets like me sleep with the TV on all night, I cannot stand quiet, my dad was the same way from WWII.

Chinookman

Two-burning-Six a-turning
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Republic of TEXAS near Victoria
    My little dog with the Radar ears makes all of that unnecessary! I have him trained to give graded alerts from a quiet "woof" to a growl to a full blown barking and running around the house raising Hell! The little guy is amazing and I know my safety is well taken care of! If he barks, he's damned serious and my hand is on a 9mm or a 12 gauge immediately. I slept through a fire drill in college so being a deep sleeper was a concern. Jake will come to get me if he needs me for security issues and I wake up for him easily. He places his paws on the side of my bed and jingles his collar tags.......I'm up!

Jake is an inside dog who has a comfy bed right by the front door. He doesn't miss a thing and he is super protective of me.....and I am protective of him! I only had one dog before Jake and he was just a yard dog. Jake is the only dog that I really bonded with. I didn't train him to do tricks. He is my companion and his role in our relationship is to protect me.

Dogs and men have had a special relationship for thousands of years. I strongly suggest that you USE that special bond to protect yourself, then sleep well!

Flash

We inherited a 7 lb Yorkie and of all our rescue dogs she has really bonded to me. After Katrina era months later, wife went out of town do girly stuff with her sisters. This night Izzy jumped off the bed and ran to the patio door awakening my two other dogs and I let them out. Noticing the garage door open I figured it was a case of CRS being old and we go back to bed. 1/2 hour later the local PD rings door bell and all 3 are at the ready by the door. The officer was confident no one had gotten in our house with that alarm system but told me to inspect our trucks. One had been broken into and the garage opener was missing. Officer got a radio call and the kid was collared. He was on a bike drunk with a freezer bag full of phones CD's etc.....he had been a busy ticker around our block. The dog saved this kid because had I heard him rummaging around the garage my Winchester 1300 Defender is normally handy soooooo this kid will never know how lucky he was we had a Yorkie....

Body never adjusted after getting off night shift but sleep very light and have her to warn us.....Man and his dog best combo around oh yeah and our side arm....lol...

dustycorgill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Garland, Texas
    I am a heavy sleeper as well. Plus I cannot sleep in total silence, I have to have a fan or something going. That is why I have my sidekick Maximus. He is a 105 pound Doberman. If his bark doesnt wake you nothing will. And if they happen to get in and he gets to them first, good luck.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I've got two small dogs. They both have amazing hearing, are quick as hell, and very loud. I'll let them throw off the intruder while I'm coming out with a gun or two.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    In college I lived in a run-down apartment complex on Riverside Drive in Austin, back before all the effort that's being put into making that area nicer. One night, in the wee hours, I was awakened by the sound of shattering glass that I was almost certain was my sliding glass patio door. In one movement, as I woke up, I rolled out of bed, retrieved my pistol, and chambered a round without needing to pause to be more alert. In fact, I was as alert as I had ever been up to that point in my life...

In fact, I had trouble getting myself to relax enough after checking the apartment (the glass breaking was drunk idiots throwing beer bottles at the back of the neighboring building) to go back to sleep afterward.

Adrenaline is a wonderful thing.

Ready.Fire.Aim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    True story. I woke up to a threat in the bedroom scared shxtless one night. I went into attack mode, knocked the intruder down and transitioned to hands on throat choking with all I had. Then I realized......

It was my wife. She was scared shxtless, then royally pissed. She was not impressed with my " defense skills". She refused to sleep with me for a month and of course NO NOOKIE.

I never did that again. She still talks about it ten years later.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I don't know if you can be an expert in such a thing, but my advice would be to first, lay still and identify the situation. Coming out of a deep or light sleep can leave you disoriented or confused. Sudden movements can draw attention to you if you're not fully aware of the situation and there is a bad guy present, so playing asleep while you gain your bearings might be beneficial. Or jumping out of bed and crouching at a ready position might be better, but before you grab a firearm, be sure you're fully awake, alert, and aware of what's going on. Dreams, noises, firearms, and family members don't mix well.

Practice on becoming aware of when you're fully alert first. Then decide from there your best course of action.

digitaltrip

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Mesquite
    True story. I woke up to a threat in the bedroom scared shxtless one night. I went into attack mode, knocked the intruder down and transitioned to hands on throat choking with all I had. Then I realized......

It was my wife. She was scared shxtless, then royally pissed. She was not impressed with my " defense skills". She refused to sleep with me for a month and of course NO NOOKIE.

Damn dude.

Good right woman right there, mine would not have been so forgiving.

dvmpiper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Terrell, Tx
    The military prepared me. I used to wake up when the 1MC on my ship turned on. I mean, that light hiss of powering up was enough to wake me up before reveille. My company commanders couldn't surprise me during boot camp either. I could hear them come in and they were good about the air horn and throwing a trash can down the compartment. Never surprised me. Nowadays, with the ac running in the bedroom window, I can hear one of the dogs whine in the living room and be instantly awake. It drives me bananas, because it takes me a while to settle down and go back to sleep.

Last edited:

Chinookman

Two-burning-Six a-turning
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Republic of TEXAS near Victoria

That there be funny ....... oh yeah and no matter what .... I think it's genetics from the book of Genesis women NEVER fo-git ....unless dey wannah....any 'scuse to hold back on nookie oh man dat ain't rat...... especially after you showed her how much you loved her in the act of defending the home front.....lol... :cool:

Top Bottom