• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indisputabull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2019
    Arlington
    Hey all! I'm a commercial diver/ underwater welder and I'm looking for a career change, something a little less seasonal. I have UT and MT levels I&II, I can weld, I have done some tower climbing even though I wasn't a huge fan, inspections with ROV's, some carpentry work, etc. What I really want to get into is Electrical work, I have my Texas Apprentice Electrician License which is basically just a background check saying I'm not a felon and am eligible to work in the state. Is anyone here currently doing electrical work that can give me some pointers on places to start?

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land

Indisputabull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2019
    Arlington
    My goal is to work as an apprentice for a couple years and then start working through journeyman school, I will check out those links thank you! I hope I won't have to relocate too far, I really enjoy where I am now but I'll do what I have to do! Journeyman pay is great, especially with that much time in!

Indisputabull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2019
    Arlington
    Lineman make great money! I worked as a federal contractor right out of the military and spent some time with lineman during hurricane relief and those boys were bank rolling for sure

Indisputabull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2019
    Arlington
    Walk on to any job and ask who to talk to.

Everybody is looking for help.
    Does that go for construction only or do you think the residential companies are looking hard to? I've only had time between tower inspections to go into one place and it seems promising but I don't count my chickens before they hatch (Got home after a six day, and left again for six more days after 12 hours at home)

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Does that go for construction only or do you think the residential companies are looking hard to? I've only had time between tower inspections to go into one place and it seems promising but I don't count my chickens before they hatch (Got home after a six day, and left again for six more days after 12 hours at home)
    Commercial or residential. Just stop in and ask.

Most electrical company employees will refer you to their supervisor who will probably ask a few questions and send you to their office or website to apply.

I recommend commercial but that is up to you. More consistent, generally better pay, more structure, safer, bigger companies with more room for advancement, etc. I have done plenty of both and commercial is the only way to go for me.

Try a few too and shop the pay and "extras" (company vehicle, paid vacation, 401k, on call, etc.).

If they aren't looking for help right now then you don't want to work for them anyways. All the good companies are booked up for months and need help.

Top Bottom