• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Looked over the website a few times but most of the hunts required a mess of paperwork and had all kinds of restrictions(hunt times, weapon,etc.) If you decide to try it out, let us know how your hunt turns out.

supersampson12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    forney
    I was also wondering about public land. I've never been hunting before and thought the public land may be a good place to start. I didnt know there was paperwork. I thought you just bought the license and went out hunting. The lake tawakoni land is closest to me. Anyone been out there?

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    Never been on public land in TX, but I know you don't have to go on a scheduled hunt.. You have to read about each one, and it's restrictions...some only allow shotgun, some you can use rifle...calibers may be restricted as well... Go to one of the offices that where you would buy the license and grill them for answers.. Nothing like getting it str8 from the horses mouth!

redfred

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    La Porte
    I've had a Public license for two years now. I consider it worth the money because I get a lot of chances to hunt doves, in several different areas. Sure, the public lands aren't prime hunting areas, and sometimes they can be pretty crowded (don't even think about going the first day or two of dove season - it's like a shooting gallery and not everyone took safety classes) but since most ranches charge $50 for ONE DAY of hunting, at least you can go as often as you like on public lands. My best luck has been on weekdays. The good part about dove hunting is that you don't need to pack a lot of stuff, and you can go on a moment's notice.
    Deer hunting is another story. Most of the deer hunting is archery only, except in East or West Texas, or some of the National Forests and Grasslands. I have been to a few public sites, and saw deer, but they were too far for an archery shot. Maybe if my skills were better, my luck would be too.
    When you get the public license, you get a map booklet that shows you where you can go, and tells you what game can be hunted at each place. Some are dove only, some you can hunt just about any game animal. The ones that allow deer and other game usually allow hog hunting, but only with the same weapons allowed for deer. Some of the sites for dove hunting allow hog hunting, but only with shotguns.
    Be aware that the Game Wardens seem to cover the public areas pretty well.

robbf213

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Jefferson, TX
    There are some good hunting opportunities available. Make sure you get the Public Hunting Lands books and read it. Every area has different dates and requirements.

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    Hey Stump. New Mexico is closer to you than any Texas public hunting lands. Why not get an out of state NM license? You have a lot of choices over there.
    New Mexico is 100x better than the other Mexico because it's new'r.

I never even thought about that option :-/

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    If you plan on hunting hogs on public land anything goes..suppressors, night vision, lasers etc..deer hunting is the same for private land no suppressors or lasers. I call my local game warden when I plan on hunting in a certain area(including public land) at night with a suppressor. I will even meet with them to introduce myself. They really appreciate that. Since they will be the ones giving the tickets it is a good time to ask questions. I have had some say they don't have problems with suppressors for deer hunting. I have not been brave enough to test them on that.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    If you plan on hunting hogs on public land anything goes..suppressors, night vision, lasers etc..deer hunting is the same for private land no suppressors or lasers. I call my local game warden when I plan on hunting in a certain area(including public land) at night with a suppressor. I will even meet with them to introduce myself. They really appreciate that. Since they will be the ones giving the tickets it is a good time to ask questions. I have had some say they don't have problems with suppressors for deer hunting. I have not been brave enough to test them on that.

You might have misunderstood their stance on suppressors...................firearms equipped with silencers or sound-suppressing devices are NOT LEGAL.
    That is copied from Texas 2011 Hunting Regulations. Game animal & game bird section so hogs maybe but deer definite no!

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock

Not sure about the anything goes for even hogs. Was looking through the parks web site and there were weapon restrictions for even hogs in some areas. I may have misread the page, but it seemed to me thatbit they had weapons restrictions for any game they also applied to hogs. My logic was that the weapons restrictions were there due to safety ie close to urban areas where stray rounds can have a VERY negative impact, so they'd apply to all hunting.

It's definitely a good idea to get answers straight from the area you're interested in hunting along with the wardens as well if possible. Funny thing about laws and how different people interpret them.

Top Bottom