• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GeorgeS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2018
    San Antonio
    Can anyone recommend a shop to install a tow hitch and wiring kit on my Highlander?

The stealership quoted me an absurd price; they told me they'd have to drop the rear end (they don't), blah, blah, blah.

Installation must be clean, and error-free (no butchered parts, all bolts torqued correctly, etc.).

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Can anyone recommend a shop to install a tow hitch and wiring kit on my Highlander?

The stealership quoted me an absurd price; they told me they'd have to drop the rear end (they don't), blah, blah, blah.

Installation must be clean, and error-free (no butchered parts, all bolts torqued correctly, etc.).

GeorgeS,

Email me for my mechanic's name/phone. = He works on my Mercedes, Lincolns, Grand Marquis routinely & he is REASONABLE in price, too.
    (Steve can put the hitch on your Highlander with his eyes closed.)

Have you got the hitch already??

yours, satx
    texasnative46@gmail.com

Last edited:

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    I was going to post Uhaul also but with that said

Some of the installers are animals that use hammers pick ax and duct tape so make sure you check on local shops.

For the most part if you buy a hitch the right class and for your car 90% of the time its a simple jack the hitch in place and use an impact wrench on the bolts.

Use wire taps into the brake light wires or get a plug and play splitter if they make it for your ride.

GeorgeS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2018
    San Antonio
    No, I haven't bought the hitch yet (I just bought the car)a CPO)). I lean towards the OEM Toyota Class III hitch and wring kit, but since I'm not going to be hauling 5000lbs, I'm open to other brands.

I've been warned away from having U-Haul do it because of the likelihood of a poor product and/or butchered installation.

As for doing it myself, I don't have the room to undertake the installation.

satx78247, I will send you an e-mail shortly.

Thanks!

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    GeorgeS,

Did you ever buy & get your hitch installed?? - Just curious.

yours, satx

bbrwbmw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2020
    Houston, TX

Check with your local Uhual center.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Check with your local Uhual center.

bbrwbmw,

UNLESS U-Haul at a Houston dealer is different than the ones that I know, you'd better better off employing any random drunk, that's passed out in the nearest gutter. = BAD/SLOW SERVICE & EXPENSIVE, too is my SAD experience with several such places.
    (When Steve put the hitch on my 1992 Town Car, it took him all of 30 minutes & he charged me 25.oo for the work.)

yours, satx

bbrwbmw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2020
    Houston, TX
    bbrwbmw,

UNLESS U-Haul at a Houston dealer is different than the ones that I know, you'd better better off employing any random drunk, that's passed out in the nearest gutter. = BAD/SLOW SERVICE & EXPENSIVE, too is my SAD experience with several such places.
    (When Steve put the hitch on my 1992 Town Car, it took him all of 30 minutes & he charged me 25.oo for the work.)

yours, satx

LOL... that bad?

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Avoid UHaul - I was looking into getting a hitch installed on my Dodge Durango. It would've been over $500 if they had done it. $150 for the hitch receiver, $150 to install it, $100 for the wiring, $50 for the ball, plus taxes and fees and all kinds of bullshit. Plus...you never know if they'll even install it right.

Luckily, we wound up buying a Toyota Sequoia with a factory towing package a couple of months later, so I didn't have to bother.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    LOL... that bad?

bbrwbmw,

YEP. When I was stationed at Ft Drum, the U-Haul dealer made such a mess of the rear of my car that I had to sue them in small claims court to have another mechanic fix the MESS that U-Haul made of my rig.

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Wow, sorry to hear that.

bbrwbmw,

I was sorry too, as the car was but about 6-8 weeks since new, with less than 5K. = We had bought a new car for the trip, as our then current car (a large Buick 4DR) was about 4-5 years old & had about 100K on the clock, including considerable time running "flat out" on the autobahn.
    (My ex believed that cars had but 2 speeds: OFF & ON.)

yours, satx

Top Bottom