• ...and so much more!
  • Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I have a couple of firearms with a matte black finish on the metal on which I'd like to do some touch up work to the finish. I know I can get instant cold bluing liquid but would appreciate it if someone could clue me in as to whether or not there is a solution to use cold to touch up matte black finishes such as on a Remington 870 Express. Thanks.
    Texas SOT

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I have a couple of firearms with a matte black finish on the metal on which I'd like to do some touch up work to the finish. I know I can get instant cold bluing liquid but would appreciate it if someone could clue me in as to whether or not there is a solution to use cold to touch up matte black finishes such as on a Remington 870 Express. Thanks.

I'll say this about the cold blue... its not really a good matte finish, and its not a good gloss finish. A few years ago I got a Sig 220 that had next to no factory finish left on it. As a stop-gap I used Birchwood Casey's cold blue paste. It didn't look terrible, but it wasn't beautiful either. If you're going for black black - you'll be disappointed with the cold blue finish. Honestly - matte black krylon camo would be a better solution if having the gun cerakoted or otherwise refinished is out of the question.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I'll say this about the cold blue... its not really a good matte finish, and its not a good gloss finish. A few years ago I got a Sig 220 that had next to no factory finish left on it. As a stop-gap I used Birchwood Casey's cold blue paste. It didn't look terrible, but it wasn't beautiful either. If you're going for black black - you'll be disappointed with the cold blue finish. Honestly - matte black krylon camo would be a better solution if having the gun cerakoted or otherwise refinished is out of the question.
    Camo black is a good flat black paint. And yes, it is flatter than regular flat black spray paint.

Tape off small sections for minor touch up work. Works well.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

kp321

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    Tuscola, Texas
    Lay a piece of 80 to 100 grit emery cloth or sand paper on the polished metal, grit side down, and hammer it lightly to produce a matte finish then blue with Oxpho Blue Creme from Brownells. With some experimentation on how hard to hammer, a good match can be achieved.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Try plastidip. It comes in many of the colors and lusters as regular paint, but it allows removal if it doesn’t work out. I’ve never applied the stuff myself, but I did remove it from a second hand pelican box a few months back. Took a little elbow grease, but didn’t need any chemicals, abrasives, or tools to do it. This is the same stuff folks use to change their wheels to black on their cars, so it’s got to be somewhat durable I would think. Worst case if it doesn’t work, peel it off.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Birchwood Casey makes a pen for this
    They make a bluing pen and one for black finishes also
    I have a few.they work well on AR lowers and barrels

GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Cooke County, TX
    For touch-up on matte finished blueing AND most matte finished aluminum, use the Birchwood Casey pen ---> CLICK HERE TO BUY

For refinish of larger areas use the special paint from Brownells ---> CLICK HERE TO BUY.

For repairs to bluing (non-matte), ONLY use Oxpho-Blue NOT anything else ---> CLICK HERE TO BUY

The pin works well on textured cast like AR receivers, etc. Daub it on then use your finger to blot it (experiment with wait times to get the best result) for the desired sheen and texture. The spray paint is special. Do not substitute others if you care about the appearance and value of the gun. It costs a lot and the can generally does not work well after the initial use (doesn't store well after use) but when used properly is great. See below. Oxpho-Blue is the only "cold blue" I would ever use any more. You HAVE to use it properly and make sure the surface is clean. Also helps to warm up the metal.

This Old Model Single Six had a DL etched into the butt of the grip frame when I got it. I filed it flat and refinished just the single plane surface with the Brownells paint linked above by blending the edges.

uydfshjg.jpg

This Marlin was stripped of the paint on the receiver and refinished with the Brownell's paint. The barrel and magazine tube had hardly any blue left and I sanded, polished, and cleaned the metal before applying cold blue to hot metal. (refinished the stock too).

mlml.jpg

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    Birchwood Casey makes a pen for this
    They make a bluing pen and one for black finishes also
    I have a few.they work well on AR lowers and barrels
    I have used this to fill in scratches and dings on a Sig P226 black anodized frame where bare aluminum was showing.

GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Cooke County, TX
    Blueing salts and chemicals are ineffective on aluminum including the pen. The BC blueing pen has been discontinued (kinda) but the matte paint pen has not. The blueing pens are not nearly as good as Oxpho-Blue, they don't last long, and they're $13. The paint pen and spray I mentioned above are permanent.

Top Bottom