Touching Up Matte Black Gun Metal Finishes

Glenn B

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sep 5, 2019
Texarkana Area
I have a couple of firearms with a matte black finish on the metal on which I'd like to do some touch up work to the finish. I know I can get instant cold bluing liquid but would appreciate it if someone could clue me in as to whether or not there is a solution to use cold to touch up matte black finishes such as on a Remington 870 Express. Thanks.

Sasquatch

Well-Known
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Apr 20, 2020
Magnolia
I have a couple of firearms with a matte black finish on the metal on which I'd like to do some touch up work to the finish. I know I can get instant cold bluing liquid but would appreciate it if someone could clue me in as to whether or not there is a solution to use cold to touch up matte black finishes such as on a Remington 870 Express. Thanks.

I'll say this about the cold blue... its not really a good matte finish, and its not a good gloss finish. A few years ago I got a Sig 220 that had next to no factory finish left on it. As a stop-gap I used Birchwood Casey's cold blue paste. It didn't look terrible, but it wasn't beautiful either. If you're going for black black - you'll be disappointed with the cold blue finish. Honestly - matte black krylon camo would be a better solution if having the gun cerakoted or otherwise refinished is out of the question.

Dawico

Uncoiled
Lifetime Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Oct 15, 2009
Lampasas, Texas
I'll say this about the cold blue... its not really a good matte finish, and its not a good gloss finish. A few years ago I got a Sig 220 that had next to no factory finish left on it. As a stop-gap I used Birchwood Casey's cold blue paste. It didn't look terrible, but it wasn't beautiful either. If you're going for black black - you'll be disappointed with the cold blue finish. Honestly - matte black krylon camo would be a better solution if having the gun cerakoted or otherwise refinished is out of the question.
Camo black is a good flat black paint. And yes, it is flatter than regular flat black spray paint.

Tape off small sections for minor touch up work. Works well.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom