Join TexasGunTalk

Top Ten San Antonio Guns Shops!

Discussion in 'San Antonio' started by Wolfwood, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Red78

Red78 Member

Sep 27, 2010
    San Antonio
    Never been to the Powderhorn. Just read the reviews, and with the exception of one they get very high marks. Will make it a point to go by there.

2. London

London The advocate's Devil. TGT Supporter

Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Forgot to mention the Junk Bin at Nagel's. I've picked up a few deals there over the years. Last time I picked up about 50 rounds of .38, 357, and .45 for, I think $3.00. All reloadable. Be VERY careful when buying a gun there, though. Had a guy try to sell me a very beat up Mosin-Nagant for "Only" $400, claiming it was a Mauser 98k. I asked him why the bolt handle was straight and he said," That's just a variation."

Hmmm....

3. majormadmax

majormadmax Úlfhéðnar

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    I gotta agree with the first part of that, the one thing the Powderhorn has over Dury's or Nagel's is they are very attentive towards their customers. Within seconds of setting foot in their store, someone will greet you and ask if there is anything they can help you with. If not, they will leave you alone to look around (which is what I usually do). It is the right balance of being taken care of without being annoying.

But their prices aren't that great, yet neither is any another other shop in SA. If you want a deal, order online or buy privately. But with Hoguns closing, the Powderhorn is pretty much the best shop in town.

I would still like to know where Wayne's gunsmith, Chris, went/is going...

Cheers! M2

4. London

London The advocate's Devil. TGT Supporter

Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Yes, there are very few "Steals" to be had in any S.A. gun shop. I also recommend the O.P. check out the gun shows. Definitely a few deals to be had there.

5. majormadmax

majormadmax Úlfhéðnar

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Speaking of which, the monthly SAXET show is this weekend (2-3 Oct) at the SA Event Center, 410 & Marbach...

Cheers! M2

6. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck 1911 Nut Lifetime Member

Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    You can reach him at: 210-521-2288 (it's their old store number)

An' don't tell me 'bout Powderhorn...didja see the Ed Brown they had in there for months? Since YOU didn't see fit to give it a new home......

7. Adionik

Adionik Active Member

Sep 16, 2009
    san antonio
    Anyone know where to get a kel tec sub 2000 locally?

I saw one in Corpus for $369.99 which was kind of pricey...

8. GlockontheRocks

GlockontheRocks Active Member

Jan 17, 2010
    McAllen, TX
    Nagel's really surprised me on our last family outing to SA. I've been in there probably 3 times a year for the last 10 years. I had issues being waited on (might be appearance). I'd ask for help most times and get the "We'll be right with you." The only reason I had been going in was for .32acp silvertips for a BUG. They were the only place I could find them at for a while. My son (13 Y.O.) went in with me on the last trip and was looking at the knife displays while I tried to buy .32. There was a lady who waited on him, made small talk with him, and sharpened a knife for him. When I asked her how much the knife sharpening was, she said it would be on the house. I'm glad his first experience with them was better than my previous 29 or so. It's an interesting place. Some of the staff needs a customer svc. lesson. Kudos to the lady that helped my Son. It reminds me of an old sporting goods store that I worked at as a teenager.

9. suhsjake

suhsjake Member

Oct 9, 2010
    San Antonio
    Don's on 410 and Fredricksberg has two that accept glock mags.

10. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck 1911 Nut Lifetime Member

Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Funny that Nagel's was recently mentioned....went by there Saturday, and on a lark asked if they had a Remington 788 in .243. Nothing up front, but the guy went out back and came back with one w/a 3 x 9 Bushnell on it for $595. I told him I was a buyer at $500 - he went and checked, and they accepted the offer! Not a "killer" deal perhaps - but one I was very pleased with. HAD to buy it - had a mag for it in my safe I've kept for years, the original rifle went away durin' the last divorce...

BTW - anyone looking for a double-door safe, Wayne still has his (Hogun's). Says $1250 and it's yours....