• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    I keep a variety of hand and power tools. Hand tools serve their purpose, but power tools speed up the process. Since I have a limited budget, I buy the best I can afford. Cordless tools I tend to buy Makita 20V tools. My trusty OLD Delta contractor table saw finally died a good death. I purchased this in the late 1990's for $99 regular list price was $129. This was by no means a Jet, Powermatic, Grizzly or other high-end table saw, BUT it served many years of DIY projects. So, I replaced this with a Ridgid product, the 10" contractor saw with base, holiday special of $399, $150 off regular price. IT was scheduled to arrive December 2, but it arrived today 11/28. So I assembled everything this afternoon, this does not have a heavy cast iron deck or anything, but a lightweight alloy. For my simple use, I think it will suffice, out of the box everything was properly calibrated, this really surprised me, I was expecting to have to make adjustments, but none were needed. I made a few simple test cuts in pine and everything was on. Longevity and durability, I cannot comment on, just initial impressions.
    Hurley's Gold

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I keep a variety of hand and power tools. Hand tools serve their purpose, but power tools speed up the process. Since I have a limited budget, I buy the best I can afford. Cordless tools I tend to buy Makita 20V tools. My trusty OLD Delta contractor table saw finally died a good death. I purchased this in the late 1990's for $99 regular list price was $129. This was by no means a Jet, Powermatic, Grizzly or other high-end table saw, BUT it served many years of DIY projects. So, I replaced this with a Ridgid product, the 10" contractor saw with base, holiday special of $399, $150 off regular price. IT was scheduled to arrive December 2, but it arrived today 11/28. So I assembled everything this afternoon, this does not have a heavy cast iron deck or anything, but a lightweight alloy. For my simple use, I think it will suffice, out of the box everything was properly calibrated, this really surprised me, I was expecting to have to make adjustments, but none were needed. I made a few simple test cuts in pine and everything was on. Longevity and durability, I cannot comment on, just initial impressions.
    I used Makita power tools for many years, but about 15 years ago, started switching to Porter Cable power tools. Much cheaper and perform just as well as the Makita brand tools.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    The nearest pawn store would be in Victoria, not worth the drive there, most of the ones I have shopped at in the Houston area had junk. I have an old Shop Smith that I plan to refurbish, I need to get a new v-belt and some set screws, nothing major, I need a wheel kit for it also, it is to damn heavy for me to move alone.

Sock Puppet

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2015
    cruise local pawn joints or yard sales, and if you know how to do basic wiring or soldering you can fix old power tools as well.

Yeah, that's good advice. I have my stepdad's old corded drill that only runs in one direction. I hate to give it up but haven't taken the time to get it working right. I have saved some other electronics by knowing how to solder though.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    The nearest pawn store would be in Victoria, not worth the drive there, most of the ones I have shopped at in the Houston area had junk. I have an old Shop Smith that I plan to refurbish, I need to get a new v-belt and some set screws, nothing major, I need a wheel kit for it also, it is to damn heavy for me to move alone.
    That should be a pretty easy project to fix up.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I'm in the market for a new table saw myself. I have been hobbling along with an old "Craftsman" 10 inch bench top with a stamped metal stand for too many years. The rip fence locks at any angle it feels like, and itself is simply thin aluminum U-channel with plastic caps on the ends. If you push on it, it deflects. The miter gauge is plastic, and the aluminum guide is a full 1/16" narrower than the slot. It's useless. The motor is rubber mounted, which leads to a little (ok, a lot) of variability. I've done some pretty good work with it, but you have to build jigs and be VERY careful to do it. Probably should do some pawn shop trolling again, I got lucky a few years back and scored a complete Dewalt DW618 router kit for 80 bucks. Router, fixed base, plunge base, the bag, tools, etc. were all there. Damned near new condition, even came with a handful of nice sharp bits.

I've looked at the Ridgid saws and they seem like they get good really good reviews. Been eyeballing the Dewalt as well, since I have a nice Dewalt compound miter saw too. I'm not brand loyal, but it might be nice to have "matching" tools lol.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    A couple of the next larger shop tools I'm looking are a 14" metal chop saw, and a smaller band saw.

On the band saw, I'm leaning towards the Bauer portable band saw, and making a stand and table for it like I have seen others on YouTube make for them.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I like to re-purpose things. Older tools can also be repurposed as well into a different tool. There are lots of videos on YouTube of people re-purposing tools into new tools.

A little over a year ago, I was going to buy a 4" x 36" Harbor Freight belt sander. More I looked at them, I realized how they were just cheap junk, and decided to I wanted a 2" x 72" belt sander. Problem there, is the cheapest ones start at over $1000. Not in my budget. So after watching many YT videos, I built my own belt sander. I spent about $150 in material and things I didn't have, but I saved a huge amount by building it myself.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia

Ooh, that Shop Smith is a good saw! My grand dad that raised me was a wood worker - he had quite the Shop Smith setup - the table saw which converted into a lathe, we had the attached drill press, band saw, scroll saw, a stand alone Shop Smith planer, dust vaccuum, stand alone router, and a jointer. The old man built a LOT of stuff - it was his hobby business. He built everything from tiny music boxes shaped like grand pianos to a 16' boat, built-in book shelves, china hutches, tables - the only thing he never got good at was chairs. Chairs are a pain in the ass and a whole different art than other furniture.

I bet you'll love that Shop Smith setup once you get her fixed up!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Picture of my DIY 2" x 72" belt grinder.

hgohObWl.jpg

2mA6GXRl.jpg

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Wood 1.jpg

Wood 2.jpg

I finished work early today so I was in by 2 pm. The first photo is one-half of the salvaged oak 2X4 in its original condition, the second photo is ripped down to 3/4" X 3". I have not sanded or planed at all, this was cut with the factory blade. At no time did the saw bog down while doing this, I am moderately impressed with this saw in this price range. While not a "standard size" this can be cut down thinner and smaller to use to trim end cuts on plywood or even glued up for tabletops. All of the cuts are very flat with no light showing when I placed a 4 foot level on the edges and sides.
    At this early stage of usage, I am giving this saw a B+ to A- rating. This rating is because the stand could be a bit more stable, heavier, but then that would lessen its portability.

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    Yeah, that's good advice. I have my stepdad's old corded drill that only runs in one direction. I hate to give it up but haven't taken the time to get it working right. I have saved some other electronics by knowing how to solder though.
    you should check out post apocalyptic inventor, he is a german guy who finds old tools in scrapyards and fixes them, has some really insightful stuff to say as well.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePostApocalypticInventor here is his youtube channel.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Nice looking sander, Axxe!
    Thank you. Next year, I'm building a 4' x 7' work table in the garage that it and several other tools will be mounted on, with my welder stored under the other side, and drawers for storing supplies and tools underneath as well.

My plan is when it gets moved to the work table is to build a new metal base and platform and get rid of the wooden one it has now.

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    I have used old brake rotors to weigh down a saw that was too light. 4 bolts and 4 rotors anchor that sucker, and compensate for the stand being too damn short!

Top Bottom