• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • good_time_charlie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2019
    Austin, Tx
    First a question, for all you home do-it-yourself-ers, what brands of power tools do you favor?

I have a cheap Skil jigsaw, a cheap Ryobi mouse sander with a nice case, a cheap Black n Decker 3/8" cord drill with a nice storage bag, a rechargeable Ryobi power driver kit in a case and a WEN rotary tool kit. They all serve me well for once-in-a-blue-moon small projects. I'm no carpenter by trade.

Tips:

A jigsaw can make an occasional straight crosscut. You don't need a Skilsaw with a circular blade for small-scale stuff. A simple fence or guide for the saw can be a combination square and a bar-type wood clamp or two.

Those bar-type clamps for woodworking have plastic no-mar caps on the jaws. They are not for holding any metal parts winch may get hot as from drilling. Use only steel clamp to hold metal work piece which may get hot from friction as from cutting with a high-speed power tool. I just ruined my cheap Walmart clamp with plastic jaws. They melted while holding a metal L bracket I was drilling a hole through!

How to precisely position a center punch for a pre-drill in metal. You will have intersecting scribe lines or a small ink mark on your work piece already. You want to have plenty of bright light for this kind of work. Cover the mark on the metal with small piece of clear packing tape. Place another piece of tape over the top to make it double thick. You can see the ink mark under the clear tape layers. Take your carpenter's awl and press a small dimple while twisting the tool where the ink mark is. It is much easier to observe the sharp point of a narrow awl that the point of the thick tapered shank of a typical center punch. Now, you can easily feel the point of the center punch into the dimple you made with the awl by carefully walking the point into the dimple. You made the tape double thick to make a deeper impression in the tape that even the blunt point of the relatively-blunt center punch can easily land in like a golf ball in the cup. Now that punch is positioned, give it a smart tap with a hammer to make the dimple in the metal for starting the drill.
    Gun Zone Deals

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The only time I have had an issue with lining up a hole to drill is when going at an angle. That is kind of a different issue though. Start straight and then slowly angle the bit as needed.

If you are melting plastic trying to drill a hole then you have other issues. Remember, high pressure and low speed. Add oil as needed (any kind will work). Your bits will thank you by lasting much longer.

Sharpening them is the same. Don't get them too hot. Once you overheat them they won't hold a good cutting edge.

As far as do it yourselfer home tools, I use my professional tools so I can't tell you much about that stuff. I can tell you my help and I have destroyed some cheap tools in short order on the job. But that's a different issue all together.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    I know a ton of people that crap on Harbor Freight but I have had HUGE success with most of my power tools from them.

If the tool works like crap you can take it back and invest in a different brand.

I also watch slickdeals.com like a hawk and have scored a ton of cordless stuff from top rated manufactures at very cheep prices.

As far as the HF tools if you find you use it a lot and burn one up then I would say step up and get a better brand btw they do offer better tools there than the bargain basement stuff. You can also check out each tool on youtube to get an idea if its good or bad.

I do not use them daily or even weekly for the most part but when I do I tend to beat on tools and the only one I have ever really killed was a variable speed car polisher lol.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Do your homework when buying battery powered tools. Pick a family of tools and stick with it. Day dewalt. Get the 20-60 flexvolt circular saw, saber saw, impact drill and 1/2” impact gun with hex bit conversion. Buy a good eswing hammer and hollow ground bits. I would go Klein for lineman’s pliers and wire strippers. Get a plastic bucket and packet caddy to keep them in.

You will need a lot more tools if you start working but that will get you started.

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    My main corded drills are over 40 years old from my father. I have porter-cable cordless drill and impact. Stanley owns alot of brands - porter-cable , dewalt , stanley now craftsman. Pro-tip If your cordless battery will not charge on your changing stand hook a low amp charger to it overnight. You can google to find what pins on the battery to hook it to.

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    Last Christmas the Craftsman line made its big debut in Lowes. My family decided to go with them <sonny boy bought everyone a kit>.

Been very impressed with them so far and have used them tons. Keep the flashlight in the handy spot inside, for bumps in the night.

Used the little circular saw on a paver project. Knew it would burn up but thats ok. Got the project started. Ended up going to a electric saw, not because there was a problem with the little saw but just because I needed a bigger blade to cut through large pavers.

Little saw never checked up. Did about 2/3's the job. Cut like a champ.

good_time_charlie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2019
    Austin, Tx
    Do your homework when buying battery powered tools. Pick a family of tools and stick with it. Day dewalt. Get the 20-60 flexvolt circular saw, saber saw, impact drill and 1/2” impact gun with hex bit conversion. Buy a good eswing hammer and hollow ground bits. I would go Klein for lineman’s pliers and wire strippers. Get a plastic bucket and packet caddy to keep them in.

You will need a lot more tools if you start working but that will get you started.

I have a small portable Dewalt compressor and it's so-so. It was in the shop under warranty once because of a bad pressure safety valve that was cutting it off at too low pressure. The pressure regulator knob is rather tricky. It is not very accurate. You have to fool with it often as it has a bad memory. If I have to fill a portable air tank to 120 psi, it might stop at 120 one time then maybe 110 the next time if the dial wasn't touched.
    You can't just set the regulator and forget it. It just won't consistently cut off at the same dialed-in pressure level each and every time. My portable air tank has maximum safe rating of 125 psi, and I don't like to go over 120. You have to keep an eye on the pressure gauge. The regulator is not trustworthy enough to leave the compressor work on its own unwatched.

Top Bottom