Military Camp

Tomorrow: Lone Star or A Place to Shoot?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dancing Heretik

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    I'm going to the range tomorrow morning. Which range should I go to? Lone Star or A Place to Shoot? Eenie, meanie, miney, moe.

I want to try out A Place to Shoot. But, I've never been there and feel comfortable at Lone Star. I've already been there twice. Has anyone been to A Place to Shoot?

If anyone wants to meet me at a particular range, I'll go with that one.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Never been to A Place to Shoot. I've never had anything but great experiences at Lone Star. You get that piatola yet?

Dancing Heretik

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Nope, not yet. $500 is going to take a while to save.

Someone did come into the store today trying to sell a Springfield. But, he didn't like the price my brother offered. Then, after he left, my brother tells me that my gun just walked out the door!

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    A place to shoot isn’t bad. Get there early, cause it’ll be hot.

We had a small meet there last summer. Ate at B&B smokehouse beforehand.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Bummer. I've paid more than the going price for a few guns. They were worth it to me. I'm probably going to Dietz tomorrow. Going to bring things you're probably not interested in....yet.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Oooh, what ya gonna bring?
    You were all worried about the recoil in the .45 in a 1911, and you handled it with aplomb. I don't like to torture myself. Lots of .22 lr's. Forgive me, but I get the idea that you haven't shot a lot of rifles. I can help with that. You need to expand your horizons. Hitting a tiny target a long distance away is very satisfying. Hitting a reasonable sized target with with open sights is very similar.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    I'm going to the range tomorrow morning. Which range should I go to? Lone Star or A Place to Shoot? Eenie, meanie, miney, moe.

I want to try out A Place to Shoot. But, I've never been there and feel comfortable at Lone Star. I've already been there twice. Has anyone been to A Place to Shoot?

If anyone wants to meet me at a particular range, I'll go with that one.

APTS is a solid range. Lots of ROs and they seem helpful.

I go there to shoot steel with the AASA crew on 2d and 4th Saturday’s. They will be at Lone Star tomorrow (3D & 5th Saturday’s).

Dancing Heretik

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    You were all worried about the recoil in the .45 in a 1911, and you handled it with aplomb. I don't like to torture myself. Lots of .22 lr's. Forgive me, but I get the idea that you haven't shot a lot of rifles. I can help with that. You need to expand your horizons. Hitting a tiny target a long distance away is very satisfying. Hitting a reasonable sized target with with open sights is very similar.
    I'm not sure I'm up to worrying too much about my aim just yet. I might want to wait until I get my new glasses.
    blind.as.a.bat.dracula.optometrist.jpg

Attachments

• blind.as.a.bat.dracula.optometrist.jpg
      blind.as.a.bat.dracula.optometrist.jpg
      62.3 KB · Views: 448

Dancing Heretik

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    At this point, I'm really trying to get to know handguns, especially my own handguns.

I got my first handgun on May 1st of 2017. Th e first couple of years I only went to the range twice (aside from taking the LTC class). I didn't want to go alone because I thought it would be wiser to go with someone who would watch me and make sure I'm following all the safety rules. It takes a while to develop new habits.

In the last month and a half, I've been 4 times, only once alone. A lot more than in the previous 2 years. My habits are improving. And, I actually enjoyed going alone because it gave me time with my own guns, getting to know them better.

Going with other people is more fun. And, it's fun to try new guns. But, I really need more time with my own guns! I have 5 now. That's a lot to get to know. Each one unique and special.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Going with other people is more fun. And, it's fun to try new guns. But, I really need more time with my own guns! I have 5 now. That's a lot to get to know. Each one unique and special.
    Hell I enjoy going with someone because the ride is an hour one way to the gun club. The bonus of another person is they can watch your stuff if you have to go down range to hang targets. I knew a guy that lost his & his sons hunting rifles by going down range together.

Dancing Heretik

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Range.6.15.2019.cut.jpg

I loaded all my magazines plus brought 2 full boxes of ammo. I was trying to avoid extra weight.

IT WAS NOT ENOUGH!

What did I learn today?
    • My Mark IV is a lot of fun to shoot. This is the first time that I 've spent any real time with it. I shot at least 100 rounds through it.
    • I do not have to pull the hammer back on my 22 revolver in order to shoot it (like I do my other revolver).
    • Lone Star doesn't start getting crowded until after 11 am. So, I don't need to be in such a rush next time.
    • I don't think I like Speed Strips. I might try them one more time, loaded a little differently. We'll see.
    • The only pistol I have that I can drop the mag with one hand is my Walther because of it's paddle ejection button.
    • I need to BRING MORE AMMO!
    Plus, I think it's time I started paying more attention to my aim. It's really bad! But, so far I've been paying more attention to making sure I hold the gun right, not sweeping anyone, and getting comfortable with each gun and how it works.

Being so stubborn about not wanting to go to the range alone meant that I wasn't getting to know my guns well as I still kept collecting them. I think I'm just about caught up with that minimal comfort level with each of them now.

I have 2 more magazines coming next week, plus some mag holders in case I go to Dietz and don't have a table right there while I'm shooting.

Next time, more ammo!!!

Attachments

• Range.6.15.2019.cut.jpg
      Range.6.15.2019.cut.jpg
      70.3 KB · Views: 386

Dancing Heretik

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    How heavy is the trigger pull on the gun you shoot the worst? Could be you pulling off while pulling a heavy trigger.
    The revolver has the heaviest trigger pull. So, maybe I should pull the hammer back before I shoot it eventhough I don't absolutely have to.

But, I didn't hear a lot of steel being hit no matter which gun I was shooting! Of course, the 22's are so small that I might just not have heard them hit because of all the other people shooting.

There was enough noise that I'm not sure.

Either way, it's time to start actually paying attention to hitting the target now, like a normal person. I just hadn't been paying much attention to it to start with so I could focus on getting more comfortable with my guns and with shooting first.

Of course, it may be a long time before I'm willing to show off my used targets to anyone!

Top Bottom