• ...and so much more!
  • satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    busykngt,

Fwiw, I remember when that song first came out in the town when I was in college.

For days, that seemed to be ALL that anybody was talking about on campus.
    (I must have heard at least 100 theories about the 2 young lovers were throwing off the bridge. - SOME of the theories were downright WEIRD.)

Btw, have you ever heard the "supposed answer" of "That nice young Preacher" Brother Taylor to the mystery??
    (I "disremember" who sang it these nearly a half-century later.)

Fwiw, I had a "severe case of the hots for" Bobbi Gentry, after she had a local variety show on a Little Rock TV station for a few weeks in the early Fall of 1967.
    (The variety show was a FLOP & lasted I believe only 4 or 5 weeks.)

Incidentally, when FANCY was released in 1970 as a single on 45RPM, MANY radio stations in the Southland REFUSED to play it on-air because The Catholic League for Decency said that it was "UTTERLY INDECENT".
    (Things in the late 1960s & early 1970s, at least in the South, were much more innocent, at least in public venues, than most younger folks would believe.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Satx,
    I’ll whimp out on my answer. Everybody has their own “pet” belief. There was even a movie made, based on the song. All I can really say is, after more than half a century.... the mystery continues...

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Satx,
    I’ll whimp out on my answer. Everybody has their own “pet” belief. There was even a movie made, based on the song. All I can really say is, after more than half a century.... the mystery continues...

busykngt,

Me TOO.

The theory of "certain coeds" in the Summer of 1967 was that the lovers threw their newborn off the bridge. = Inasmuch as this was a teenage girl living at home, I find that the MOST UNLIKELY of many weird theories.

WISHING that I could remember the name of the "answer record" by "Brother Taylor", with him standing over her grave.

yours, satx

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    busykngt,

Me TOO.

The theory of "certain coeds" in the Summer of 1967 was that the lovers threw their newborn off the bridge. = Inasmuch as this was a teenage girl living at home, I find that the MOST UNLIKELY of many weird theories.

WISHING that I could remember the name of the "answer record" by "Brother Taylor", with him standing over her grave.

yours, satx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Younggun,

WOW. - That recording I had NOT heard, ever.

There are TWO recordings. = The other one is a slow, sad ballad that makes it clear the "Brother Taylor" was deeply in love with "Billie Jean".
    And that there was another local girl involved.
    (I remember that she was mentioned by name in one of the other verses to the "Ode", that were written by Bobbi Gentry. = The ORIGINAL version was over 7 1/3 minutes long & the recording studio cut it to about 4 minutes "to better fit" into the radio show formats of 1967.)

Evidently, Bobbi Gentry saw this "whole deal" as a LOVE/JEALOSY QUADRANGLE rather than a TRIANGLE, with at least 2 of the 4 either killing themselves AND/OR perhaps killing the other local girl.
    (I've forgotten the other girl's name. - I'll see if I can find it.)

Fwiw, Bobbi Gentry sang the WHOLE song on KARK TV during her variety show's brief stint on TV.

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Takes me to a good time in my life.

FireInTheWire,

AGREED 100%. = The 2nd Summer session (1967) at college was when I met "the love of my life", i.e., the girl who was in love with me BUT wouldn't offend her family by marrying "a poor boy from Nowheresville, TX". - Her family "had money" & was "socially prominent" in Arkansas.
    (After I was widowed & she divorced the USAF COL, who she married instead of me, we got back together in 1999, until she was permanently/severely disabled by a doctor's mistake in 2011. - About 3 years ago she said, "J_____, you've got to get on with your life. I'll never be any better than I am now & I will NOT burden you with caring for an invalid. - I won't let you continue to sit by my bed & hold my hand for the next maybe 20 years. Nonetheless, I will always love you.")

Note: As several friends here know, I'm writing an "alternative history" novel about the 2nd WBTS, set in the 1st half of the 21st Century. - Our over half-century romance is ONE of the several sub-plots in SONS OF BLOOD & DAUGHTERS OF FIRE.
    (Fwiw, the book is definitely NOT anything like GONE WITH THE WIND. = Several people, who have read "bits & pieces", call it "an all too believable" NIGHTMARE, when the USA is split into several warring factions/"nations" & a LONG, BLOODY war ensues. ALL of the factions, except "The Restored Kingdom of Hawaii", want to dominate the rest of the "new nations"..)

yours, satx

Last edited:

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FireInTheWire,

AGREED 100%. = The Summer session at college was when I met "the love of my life", i.e., the girl who was in love with me BUT wouldn't offend her family by marrying "a poor boy from Nowheresville, TX". - Her family "had money" & was "socially prominent" in Arkansas.
    (After I was widowed & she divorced the USAF COL, who she married instead of me, we got back together in 1999, until she was permanently/severely disabled by a doctor's mistake in 2011. - About 3 years ago she said, "J_____, you've got to get on with your life. I'll never be any better than I am now & I will NOT burden you with caring for an invalid. - I won't let you continue to sit by my bed & hold my hand for the next maybe 20 years. Nonetheless, I will always love you.")

Note: As several friends here know, I'm writing an "alternative history" novel about the 2nd WBTS, set in the 1st half of the 21st Century. - Our over half-century romance is ONE of the several sub-plots in SONS OF BLOOD & DAUGHTERS OF FIRE.
    (Fwiw, the book is definitely NOT anything like GONE WITH THE WIND. = Several people, who have read "bits & pieces", call it "an all too believable" NIGHTMARE, when the USA is split into several warring factions/"nations" & a LONG, BLOODY war ensues. ALL of the factions want to dominate the rest of the areas..)

yours, satx
    Mine isn't flavorful like yours. Thanks for sharing though.

It takes me to my childhood.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What I remember most is how easy on the eyes Gentry was.
    Agreed.

hqdefault.jpg

Attachments

• hqdefault.jpg
      hqdefault.jpg
      11.3 KB · Views: 202

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    BRD66; FireInTheWire; All,

Fyi, Bobbi Gentry was a professional fashion model for about 2 years (circa 1970) & "dressed to kill", she was UTTERLY LOVELY, SEDUCTIVE & completely ALLURING. = She, in those long ago "DAZE", made the other Elite models look, by comparison, like "pre-teen" boys.

yours, satx

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Mine isn't flavorful like yours. Thanks for sharing though.

It takes me to my childhood.

FireInTheWire & 4 other members, who asked about my book "in progress",

OK already, I'll give you a "nibble" of the book & introduce you to LETICIA FEY DAWES, "the mistress of the small sharp blade, that comes unbidden from the darkness", "the Beauty of a hundred names" & just possibly, "the most notorious Rebel spy & assassin".

Chapter 1, page 6ff.

2:14AM, - - October 20- -, Knoxville, TN,

Leticia Fey kissed down her lovers face, then trailed her tongue down the side of the neck, gently pinched & gently nibbled the left nipple.
    She said, "Open your legs, Honey Lamb. I going to eat you up."
    Within seconds, her lover pushed closer to the caressing hand & searching tongue, reached & got a handful of Leticia's long black hair & began to squirm closer to Leticia's slim, tomboyish body & moaned, "OH GOD, I LOVE THAT. - PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, DO THAT SOME MORE. Oh, Oh, Oh, PLEASE DON'T STOP. DON'T STOP".

As her lover's back arched, shook uncontrollably & then relaxed, Leticia said, "Gotta catch my breath for a second. Don't move even a single inch Honey, as I have a WONDERFUL SURPRISE for you."

In one silent motion, Leticia reclaimed the left breast, slid her hand under her pillow, grasped the stiletto & swiftly drove all 4 inches of the blade into her lover's right eye. - The body jerked once & went still.

Leticia swung her long legs off the bed, stood up, looked down at the body & said, "Martha Dear, I hated to do that because I really liked you but it's all your fault. I warned you that if you even looked at another woman that I'd kill you. - I keep my promises." Then she said, "I doubt if you felt a thing. At least, I hope that you didn't, as I'm not a cruel sort of girl."

Leticia gathered her clothes, took a long shower, dressed, turned down the temperature on the A/C system so that the body wouldn't be found soon, wiped her fingerprints off of everything that she might have touched, took Martha's car keys & left the neighborhood, just after 4:00 AM. - Nobody noticed the CRV drive away

Less than an hour later, Leticia parked the SUV in a "long-term space" at the airport where it wouldn't be noticed for a while, wiped her prints off the Honda, took a bus back into town, picked up her own car & disappeared with the other early commuters into morning traffic..

She headed east on I-40 & even with a stop for a leisurely brunch, Leticia was home to her fashionable studio in downtown Charlotte by 2PM. - It had been an interesting 3 days & of course was far from Leticia's first kill..

Four days later, a coworker at her office, went to check on Martha J. Wray not coming to work, found the "hidden" key, got into the house, found the body & reported the death to Knoxville Police.
    A pair of KPD officers responded to the 9-1-1 call, notified the crime scene team & the 2 patrolmen then secured the house.
    The Crime Scene Team arrived, found little obvious evidence of who the attacker might have been, filed their report & the case was referred to a homicide detective by 5PM.

Nothing was ever done with the case, as at about 3:30 AM the following morning, downtown Knoxville was essentially leveled by an 8.0 earthquake. - With hundreds of dead & thousands of wounded to deal with, nobody was much interested in investigating the death of an "30-something" insurance clerk. She was regarded as just "one more death" among the many.- Several days later, the homicide report was mis-filed away under "R" & thereafter forgotten.
    ------------------------------
    Friends, that is all that you get for now.

yours, satx

Last edited:
    Top Bottom