• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nofir55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2016
    Katy Texas
    I've been doing some research on the benefits or necessity of gas checks in powder coated cast bullets.

what is your experience with it ?

Any accuracy to gain?

Any difference between pistol to rifle loads?

Regular to magnum loads?

I have not yet casted bullets, still in the ingots casting and research stage, so any tips are very welcome and appreciated.
    ARJ Defense ad

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
      Capture.JPG
      29.8 KB · Views: 70

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    I've been doing some research on the benefits or necessity of gas checks in powder coated cast bullets.

what is your experience with it ?

Any accuracy to gain?

Any difference between pistol to rifle loads?

Regular to magnum loads?

I have not yet casted bullets, still in the ingots casting and research stage, so any tips are very welcome and appreciated.
    Velocity.

1100 to 1200fps +? add a gas check.

Some gas check molds are more difficult to deal with, than others....(SAECO, RCBS are good molds...sure there are others)

Hardness of bullets.

45 acp/38Spec? 800fps? You want a softer alloy. (no gas check)

Gas checks add a good bit to the price of the cast bullet....also? not all gas check molds play well if you do not use the gas check.

Hope this helps....

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    I don't care much for gas checks in my cast loads used in revolvers, even cast 357 and 44 Magnum loads. I can run with velocities in the 1200 FPS range, and still have no issues with leading. Rifle cast loads are a different critter entirely. I use gas check bullets in all my cast loads for rifles, unless they are very low level plinking loads.

Nofir55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2016
    Katy Texas
    I don't care much for gas checks in my cast loads used in revolvers, even cast 357 and 44 Magnum loads. I can run with velocities in the 1200 FPS range, and still have no issues with leading. Rifle cast loads are a different critter entirely. I use gas check bullets in all my cast loads for rifles, unless they are very low level plinking loads.
    do you powder coat and gas check your high velocity rifle loads?

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    I don't powder coat. In my experience, proper bullet size and appropriate bullet lube are the most important factors for cast bullet loads. I do use gas check molds for my rifles, except for BP velocity loads, and very light plinking loads.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Depends. Some bullets need them, some don't. You just have to try them and see. There's more to the equation than just gas check or plain base. The fit of the bullet, and what lube you use can play a bigger role. Pressure can too, it's not just velocity. I've pushed some plain based 44 mag bullets in excess of 2000 FPS (in a 20" rifle) with no issues whatsoever, so velocity alone is not a deciding factor. You can however push checked bullets faster as a general rule. I think the fastest load I have for a cast bullet is around 2300 FPS, and those are checked. I don't think there is a single handgun round I shoot that would need a gas check, and I load my magnum rounds the way Elmer Keith intended them to be loaded. Hot. If you want to learn about what a cast bullet can do, learn from him. I believe the alloy of lead he used was even softer than what we generally use today for magnum rounds, and it obviously worked well for him. IIRC, he didn't care for gas checks in handguns either.

Rifles can be a different story. Generally, if the bullet is designed for one, I put one on it unless it's going to be fired at very low velocities. A lot of the time when I want to do that though, I just order a plain based mold because I don't like dealing with gas checks if I don't need one. I also think the gas check aids in accuracy on bullets designed for a gas check. I think the unchecked shank of a cast bullet has the potential to cause issues. That's not guaranteed, but I have heard of other casters getting these results. Plain base vs gas check? I don't think there's any meaningful accuracy difference, at least not that I've seen.

Cast bullets are part science, part art. There's some general rules for success, but they are not written in stone. Every gun is different, as is every mold. Some guns won't shoot cast no matter what you do, others couldn't care less what you shove into their chamber.

This site is an encyclopedia for cast bullets. Look around it, and you'll learn a lot.

And this book is probably the best on the subject.

This chapter in particular should interest you.

BTW, if you're looking to buy some gas checks, check out Sage's Outdoors. He sells them cheaper than you can buy elsewhere. I have bought quite a few of his aluminum ones.

Now, just wait until you discover powder coating bullets. That's a whole new can of worms. ;)

Last edited:

rickt300

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2022
    Texas
    I powder coat, add the gas check and size all my 35 caliber rifle bullets. Powder coating lets you use softer alloys without leading to speeds up past 2100 fps.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    9mm & 40sw, no GCs. 30 cal rifle HV loads get GC. Getting to 14-1500 fps PB is simple, 1800 is more difficult. I PC it all. Sizer installs GC, then PC.

rickt300

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2022
    Texas
    I did it once and forgot about it. I saw Zero effect and time and money spent for nothing. I was right on edge with velocity almost MAX reason I tried it.
    If a bullet is designed to use a gas check supposedly that bullet will be more accurate if it has a gas check on it.

JandK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2021
    Cherokee County
    When my father and I used gas checks it was typically for higher pressure loadings. My father used to claim though he seen a difference in groups from gas check to not gas checked. I never seen much of a difference but in theory I guess he is right.
    I have not casted in over 15 years now but I did like using them in our 45 long colts 44 mags and other big bore revolvers.

Top Bottom