ARJ Defense ad

To cut, or not to cut, that is the... I need TGT's wisdom!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Good morn'n my beautiful fellow Texans.

So I have a 7.5", .300 AAC pistol. It's a New Frontier Armory with a folding st... BRAAAACE. Problem with this AR is that the LOP is too long, by about .5". So I need to remedy that before I become a one man Ruby Ridge/Waco.

To do this, almost a year ago I ordered an LWRC compact buffer tube, buffer, and spring kit. It came with a shorter buffer so that the BCG has room to move, but here's the part that makes me want to punch myself in the nuts, it needs a spacer. See the Frontier buffer DOES have this spacer built in, but the rest is too long. So I figured, what if I just cut the Frontier buffer down to the length of the LWRC? It has the spacer built in, so it should work, right?

Here is a picture that hopefully demonstrates what I'm planning on.

Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 3.36.56 AM.png

The RED line is where I would cut it to use the LWRC tip and the BLUE line to use the Frontier tip. Either way, after drilling the pin holes, it SHOULD work just fine, right?

I know I may need a lighter, or heavier spring, but for now, please let me know if this is a good idea.

Also, I thought about getting a Law Tactical spacer, but I don't have the cash right now.

Please let me know what you think and if you think this will work, or fail hard.

Thanks and God bless,

-Jon
    DK Firearms

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Some of those are weighted weirdly and weight is important. You can easily redo the roll pin hole for the bumper but the weight may be an issue.

I would tru a different way.

How is the brace attached? Is there a way to get your half inch there?

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Some of those are weighted weirdly and weight is important. You can easily redo the roll pin hole for the bumper but the weight may be an issue.

I would tru a different way.

How is the brace attached? Is there a way to get your half inch there?

@candcallen
    There is no other way to get that inch. I do have other options as far as hardware, but those options require more money than I'd be willing to spend, even if I had it.

But lower in the post is good new and a solution.

I do believe I would start at the link below.

https://www.newfrontierarmory.com/contact-us/

@Byrd666
    I tried. They seem like nice folks but more interested in selling me another buffer than offering any advise.

I would just order a new one just for the piece of mind and hopefully be done with it !

@contender buff
    I don't have the money for that right now, but I AM going to give it a shot.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

OK, so I am in serious luck!

I've found out that the buffer I need to cut down is actually a tad lighter than the one that came with the LWRC kit. Better yet, it is empty. The one that came with the kit has two rubber spacers and what I presume to be two tungsten weights. This is GREAT news because I can now cut down the Frontier buffer, and since that will take some weight away AND was empty, I have a lot of room to work with for putting that weight back, and adding more, if needed.

My only challenge will be that the Frontier buffer has a lip inside of it, for some reason. I imagine that lip was built in to bring it to the weight they designed for it to be. So my options now are, one, I use a lathe to remove that lip so the weights can fit inside and two, I use a lathe to take some diameter off of the cylinders, to fit inside.

Whatever the case, I'm going to slice each of the two weights into quarters, so that I can more precisely put the correct amount of weight. My question now is, will I be ok with either one of the springs? One is a little light than the other. Or should I go significantly lighter/heavier? Common sense tells me that I shouldn't have to worry about the spring.

Alright, so I plan to hit this project full force on Friday and test it that day, or the next. I'll keep you all posted and take pictures of the progress, just in case it can help someone else, in the future.

Please give me some final advise, tips, or whatever that I may be failing to consider.

Thanks again guys.

IMG_5526.jpg
    IMG_5527.jpg

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    I'd modify the weights or cylinder based on which is cheaper to replace if it fails.

I don't understand what you mean. There's only one buffer that can be modified to work with what I'm trying to do. However, I do realize now that since I am modifying the Frontier buffer anyway, I should open up in inside diameter, instead of messing with the cylinders.

At the end of the day, if all else fails, I'll just have to buy another Frontier buffer. I really think it's going to work though. There's no reason it shouldn't.

Gummi Bear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2015
    Arlington
    You’re overthinking it.

Use the short, proper weighted buffer.

Take your buffer tube with you to the hardware store, and find the dowel rod that fits in there tightly.

Cut off a short piece of the dowel rod to get the proper length of travel for the buffer. Tap it in to the end of the tube, and you’re good to go.

It works.

I’ve been running a rifle length buffer tube and stock on a carbine length system, with never a failure.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    I don't understand what you mean. There's only one buffer that can be modified to work with what I'm trying to do. However, I do realize now that since I am modifying the Frontier buffer anyway, I should open up in inside diameter, instead of messing with the cylinders.

At the end of the day, if all else fails, I'll just have to buy another Frontier buffer. I really think it's going to work though. There's no reason it shouldn't.
    I was responding to this:

"So my options now are, one, I use a lathe to remove that lip so the weights can fit inside and two, I use a lathe to take some diameter off of the cylinders, to fit inside."

I would pick option one or two based on which is cheaper to fix if it gets screwed up or doesn't work.

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    I know the Spike's Tactical ST-2 buffers use a tungsten powder instead of weights. If you could find some, you could dial in and make buffer almost whatever weight you need.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    I was responding to this:

"So my options now are, one, I use a lathe to remove that lip so the weights can fit inside and two, I use a lathe to take some diameter off of the cylinders, to fit inside."

I would pick option one or two based on which is cheaper to fix if it gets screwed up or doesn't work.

True. Yea I think since I have to shorten the Frontier buffer, I may as well do all other necessary mods on it, instead of the weights.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    I know the Spike's Tactical ST-2 buffers use a tungsten powder instead of weights. If you could find some, you could dial in and make buffer almost whatever weight you need.

WOW THANKS! I'll try and buy some tungsten powder and keep you posted.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom