• ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

On our recent visits to Houston, we have been blindsided by counter service workers shoving an electronic screen in our faces, demanding “tips”.

Questions: What do y’all do in that predicament ?

If you do tip them, how much ?

My response is: OK, I’ll give the minimum on your screen; but I’ll never ever come back here.

I feel that is atrocious, and may find a new response like “Tip you?; I’m a customer and we just had a retail transaction, you sold me an item. There was no ‘’SERVICE’’ involved. You should be tipping me.

What do you say ?

leVieux

<>

Last edited:

Mills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    Texas
    My response is: OK, I’ll give the minimum on your screen; but I’ll never ever come back here.

This.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    When they ask if I’d like to leave a tip, I just say “sure, by low and sell high!”.

That usually leaves them with a blank stare as I walk out the door.

That said, I usually tip 30-35% for good service at a restaurant, more for exceptional service.

<>

Yes, we do understand some responsibility to tip for good service. I carry a bunch of $2 bills to tip grocery boys & others who help me and provide a service. Having had friends who were restaurant servers, I tip 15 % to 35 %, depending on level of service & ‘’pleasantness’’.

My objection here is being pushed to tip those who have provided NO service beyond a simple retail transaction.

Thanks for commenting.

leVieux

<>

BigRed

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2021
    Midwest
    <>

On our recent visits to Houston, we have been blindsided by counter service workers shoving an electronic screen in our faces, demanding “tips”.

Questions: What do y’all do in that predicament ?

If you do tip them, how much ?

I feel that is atrocious, and may find a new response like “Tip you?; I’m a customer and we just had a retail transaction, you sold me an item. There was no ‘’SERVICE’’ involved. You should be tipping me.

What do you say ?

leVieux

<>
    I pay cash

HKSig

Let's Go Brandon! FKH
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Spring
    Normally, no. At one place, I’d tip because the lady taking orders at the counter was great. She even went into the kitchen and yelled at one of the owners because they didn’t have everything ready for my order in and my to go order. I palmed her a $20 that day. That place decided to keep the tips, so she quit not long after. And I haven’t been back.

Walker Travel

PM for Cruises, Vacations, Disney and More!
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2024
    DFW
    Normally, no. At one place, I’d tip because the lady taking orders at the counter was great. She even went into the kitchen and yelled at one of the owners because they didn’t have everything ready for my order in and my to go order. I palmed her a $20 that day. That place decided to keep the tips, so she quit not long after. And I haven’t been back.
    This ^^

Just because there is an option to tip doesn't mean it's necessary. But, if there was someone who went above and beyond I absolutely appreciate having the ability to easily tip them.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    What really pissed me off at work was it was someones birthday and the walk around with a dollar pinned to them. Te very first time it happened to me I told the women I'm so cheap I don't even tip at the titty bar. That bitch went told the store manager. When he asked me if I said that, I asked him why does he allow employees panhandling other employees? He said it was a tradition. I told you said WAS which refers to past tense. And it was never a tradition for me.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Other than Sonic and actual restaurants, employees here are not allowed to accept tips at any fast food place....weird, but they say it's company policy....and refuse tips...

Top Bottom