Target Sports

Tinnitus . . . how are you dealing with it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    US
    Just out of curiosity, I wonder what people who are born deaf hear in their mind when they think?
    Great question! Consulting the interwebs I found on a ‘Caption Call’ service website the following in relation to hearing an ‘inner voice’

If they’ve ever heard their voice, deaf people may have a “speaking” internal monologue, but it’s also possible that this internal monologue may be present without a “voice.” When asked, most deaf people report that they don’t hear a voice at all. Instead, they see the words in their head through sign language.

The article goes on to state that people born deaf have never heard a voice and their response to the inner voice question is ‘no’.
    Target Sports

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    Bad tinnitus for me, too, and significant hearing loss. I have a floor fan I turn on at night to mask the ringing so I can sleep. Even with the great hearing aids the VA gave me, I still won't watch a video unless it's truly important since I can't hear much of whatever people are saying. And what really sucks is those face masks that all hospitals, doctors, and clinics are still wearing. I can't understand much of what they're saying if I can't see their lips.

Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball
    Great question! Consulting the interwebs I found on a ‘Caption Call’ service website the following in relation to hearing an ‘inner voice’

If they’ve ever heard their voice, deaf people may have a “speaking” internal monologue, but it’s also possible that this internal monologue may be present without a “voice.” When asked, most deaf people report that they don’t hear a voice at all. Instead, they see the words in their head through sign language.
    That’s really interesting. I also wondered about their dreams.

Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball
    Bad tinnitus for me, too, and significant hearing loss. I have a floor fan I turn on at night to mask the ringing so I can sleep. Even with the great hearing aids the VA gave me, I still won't watch a video unless it's truly important since I can't hear much of whatever people are saying. And what really sucks is those face masks that all hospitals, doctors, and clinics are still wearing. I can't understand much of what they're saying if I can't see their lips.
    Yea, it really is annoying. Mine is constant and loud but I try to keep my mind on other things. It’s especially annoying when I think about it because that increases the awareness. Can’t win.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Dead serious. I use less hearing protection. It’s not all the time but I’m not uncomfortable with the idea of hearing loss. Think I like listening to family? I’ll be on my mower for hours with no hearing protection. I do this for a reason.

Right now my right ear is probably 50 percent. Sometimes it gets better.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    We shot mostly. 22 at the time and never used earpro.
    I grew up shooting .22 and never used earpro with it either. First time I shot a real rifle I thought, WTF was that?! :laughing:
    so I'm not sure if I have hearing loss yet
    You can have both. I've always had great hearing. Was one missed beep away from having a perfect score when I did the test at MEPS. It's no where near as good as it was then, but I can still hear better than most people. It's weird though because some things I can hear crazy well, and others not so much. Pretty sure some frequency ranges I'm deaf in now. I also have some mild tinnitus that I've described earlier in this thread.

So yeah... all of the above :laughing:

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    My brother has it also, while taking my mom to a hearing aid store he was sold a device that was supposed to eliminate the ringing, he bought it because he could return it if it didn't work. He returned it.

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    Been dealing with it for years, most of the time it doesn't bother me to much due to my brain never shuts down. It tends to drown out the ringing most.of the time. Trying to sleep however I run a fan and background noise. I tried a few things that claimed to help but nothing worked. Like the daily pain it is something only death will take away. Just have to live with it the best I can till then.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    My Sister utilized “ white noise “ in order to sleep.

Riksors

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2019
    Georgetown
    Hearing loss is irreversible. Not much I can do but wear a hearing aid.

Some advantages for me:

The world is more peaceful and quieter when I don’t wear it.
    Automatic white noise, or birds or whatever my mind can think about when off.
    Serves as double protection with the muffs when at the range.
    Gets a compliment that I look so young when surrounded with senior citizens at the audiologist.
    I can turn it off and pretend that I’m listening, eg. annoying crowd, kids, wife etc…
    Also, I can listen through my phone, leave it and eavesdrop. Never tried this yet. Worried it might backfire. Lol

The disadvantages:

People yell when you tell them you’re wearing one. I can hear fine. It’s when I’m not wearing it that you have to talk loud. Lol

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    The majority of the car show yesterday (and today if you're interested) was outside but a small portion inside had a stage for contests / awards. Most of the time just music blaring no doubt in excess of 100dB yet parents let their small kids play in front of the speakers. My T didn't start until my 30s or 40s, I can't imagine an entire lifetime coping with it.

wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    Had is since I don''t remember when... no one cared back then. Supposedly I miss alot of music quality... old now so 'too bad'... anyone got a spare $5k for some hearing aids.?

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    I raced motorcycles in the 70s. We ran open reverse cone exhausts in 4 cycles and expansion chambers with no muffling on the 2 cycles.. We wore half helmets; full face had not caught on. Absolutely no hearing protection. On left hand corners the guy beside you had his exhaust right up next to your head, inches away if you passed on the outside. After the race in the pits all the riders did not talk, we yelled because we could not hear over the howling in our ears. After a few years of that tinnitus has been a constant.

Top Bottom