Military Camp

Thread Adapter or “Chop and re-thread”??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RzrbackTxn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2019
    North Texas
    I have a Browning Hells Canyon Speed in .243, purchased JUST before the “suppressor ready” model was released. So, I have the inconvenient metric threads (M13x0.75 I believe).

To run a .30 cal suppressor, I know I need to get to standard 5/8x24 threads. Based on research, it seems my two options are buying a thread adapter to mate to the suppressor OR cutting back the barrel and having a smith re-thread to the proper measure.

Does anyone have experience using a metric-to-imperial adapter for suppressors, or strong opinions against that idea? My worry is that If it is machined out of tolerance… baffle strikes and heartache to follow.

On the flip side, recommendations for a quality DFW gunsmith to handle the custom thread work? And could they machine an adapter specific for my rifle as a possible third option?

I am open to ideas, just would like my soon-to-be-purchased suppressor to have a long life and my currently-accurate rifle to stay that way! Thanks for all feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Some suppressors have the option to change the thread adapter on the can. Not sure what’s available right now since I haven’t really been following what’s out there, but you may be able to find one that is threaded for your needs.

Having the barrel cut and retreaded Carrie’s the same risk as an adapter. It’s either a good machine shop that can hold the tolerances needed or it’s not. But there is really no reason a shop couldn’t do the female threading on the end, then move over and thread the male side without having to remove the stock. Ideally this would mean everything from drilling to the final thread would happen with no change to the workpiece and all would be in alignment with each other.

If you choose a .30 cal can then you will have a little room also, not that you’d really want to rely on it. But it’s there.

I’m not expert machinist though. Not even a rookie machinist. Just tinker from time to time. I’ve also bought a cheap thread adapter that appeared to be out of alignment when I mounted it and wasn’t willing to use it. Didn’t have anything that fit close enough to actually check it and didn’t want to risk the can. I wouldn’t want to cut the barrel and would probably find a can that fits or a quality adapter, but it’s not my gun.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    While I do have a couple of thread adapter's that I do use on a couple gun's, I'd suggest getting your barrel cut & rethreaded.

Class 3 Machining does all of my barrel threading. Morgan is a great guy to deal with, and does it for a living. He has quick turn around times.

RzrbackTxn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2019
    North Texas
    @Txhillbilly, thanks for the local machine shop recommendation! I’ll reach out and pick his brain.

Thanks all for your thoughts. Even with the new eForms speeding up the application process for suppressors I’ve got a little time to chew on options!

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom