Gun Zone Deals

Thoughts on an another Instructor's way of instructing a Class......

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Recently, I have qualified (shooting) 3 students that attended other classes with an instructor in a nearby community. All 3 have come in at different times with the same comments about their instructor all 3 were in different classes with the same instructor.

During the shooting qualification he would not allow those shooting revolvers to shoot single action, period. The students using semi-auto pistols were told to put their safety on after every shot and to disengage for every shot fired.

All 3 were disqualified and all three shot very well and easily qualified with me. They told me as many as half of their classes were disqualified. The two women and one gentleman said they did not ever want to go back and shoot with him as an instructor because of demeaning statements to students during the qualification (among the above reasons). 2 were attorneys and one works with CPS.

I informed them to ask for their classroom portion only CHL100 from him and gave them a shooting qualification only CHL 100.

Does anyone else qualify having students put the safety on before every shot and disengage every shot? DPS has always let me shoot single action with a revolver.

Am I missing something?
    Hurley's Gold

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    If someone is doing a security course with a double action, I will have them fire their first shot from the double action position, but not every shot. For CHL/LTC I have them go from the position the gun is in when they chamber the first round.

This instructor sounds like a jackass.

BCGlocker

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2015
    El Paso, TX
    During the shooting qualification he would not allow those shooting revolvers to shoot single action, period. The students using semi-auto pistols were told to put their safety on after every shot and to disengage for every shot fired.

All 3 were disqualified and all three shot very well and easily qualified with me. They told me as many as half of their classes were disqualified.

All these disqualifications are due to failure the tests or he DQed the students due to unsafe gun handling? I found hard to believe that with such generous time frame for each string of fire anyone would fail due to nominal manipulation of the firearms.

We do not know the safety habits of the students; therefore IMHO if the instructor feels that he needs to use these safety measures, it is his call.

FYI, for safety reasons, all the training I have attended from numerous schools as well as IDPA and IPSC competition, they "ALL" require the same precise safety measure. After all, in real life situations you are not likely to be able to cock the hammer on a revolver/DA/SA pistols or pick up your pistol without safety engaged.

Top Bottom