Those of you familiar with ultrasonic cleaners...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • makenzie71

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2015
    So I had a clinical ultrasonic that I've used for years to clean gun and motorcycle parts and it's always worked great...but I had multiple, the others fit my shop better, so I sold this one. The gentleman who bought it is saying his brass is still coming out dirty. I've never used it to clean brass so I'm not at all familiar with there being any special requirements to do it. He says he's using Hornady one shot ultra clean solution and he says he's run the brass through a dozen cycles, an hour each, and seen no change. I've always used a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water with a little soap for aluminum and I suggested he give that a go, but, again, I'm not familiar with using these machines to clean brass.

Is there a special process required to make it work for reloading?
    Target Sports

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    It will clean the brass, inside and out as well as the primer pocket, but it will not polish the brass. If he wants it "pretty", he'll have to use something else. Polished, pretty brass will not shoot any better, just look prettier. I quit polishing brass years ago but I still clean them in a solution in the ultrasonic cleaner. Polishing does not impact accuracy, etc., it just makes them "prettier"!

plinkr

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 18, 2019
    US
    I'd be surprised if the old Dawn and Lemishine didn't do the trick.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

makenzie71

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2015
    It will clean the brass, inside and out as well as the primer pocket, but it will not polish the brass. If he wants it "pretty", he'll have to use something else. Polished, pretty brass will not shoot any better, just look prettier. I quit polishing brass years ago but I still clean them in a solution in the ultrasonic cleaner. Polishing does not impact accuracy, etc., it just makes them "prettier"!

What kind of solution do you use? Like I said I usually use vinegar/water with aluminum, or for greasy things I do simple green/water. I've never gotten anything out that looked pretty, really, though I have seen some brass fittings come out of vinegar somewhat shiny.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Pretty requires stainless steel pins. Can’t use an ultrasound as it drives my dog crazy. Wife won’t allow. One time I used was not impressed. Corn cob in a oscillation tumbler works great.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    If you want shinny...gotta use SS pins in a tumbler. I have both & the ultra sonic only knocks the surface dirt off & won't polish. I did a post a while back in the RELOADING forum with pics. I'll see if i can find it.

ETA....

Last edited:

noylj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2011
    arizona
    Where's a metallurgist? Brass is NOT aluminum
    Vinegar (acetic acid) leeches tin from brass. Citric acid is used for brass, and then it really just gives a mild shine
    Hot water is all you need. You'll get completely cleaned cases with just hot water in well under 30 minutes.
    Adding a little detergent improves cleaning time and keeps dirt in suspension.
    I suspect he may have put the cases or something on the bottom of the tank and burned out the transducer(s).
    Otherwise, ask if he dilutes the cleaning solution per directions and does he throw out the dirty cleaning solution and clean the tank after usage

makenzie71

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2015
    both cerakot and powdercoating add thickness to the object...while cerakote is really thin (.0008~.0017in), powdercoat is very thick (.0625in).

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    You can make them shine using a proper compound, all those homebrew tricks make them clean, not shiny. If he wants shiny, either invests in the right solution or the right cleaning method for brass... which is not an ultrasonic cleaner.

Top Bottom