• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Fellers, you better be building out of steel, these plastic guns from a 3 d printer may only be good for one shot...................................

Printing a lower receiver is one thing (and I wouldn't trust that too much), but a functional gun, I wouldn't want to try that.
    Texas SOT

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Fellers, you better be building out of steel, these plastic guns from a 3 d printer may only be good for one shot...................................

Depends on how you build it. The 9mm carbine I posted earlier has been proven to work. The barrel and bolt are steel, as it is with most 3d printed guns. The technology is still in it's infancy, but the fact that functional semi auto firearms are being made right now, and that the guy in the OP was able to fire multiple rounds of 45-70 without it blowing up proves to me that 3d printed firearms are viable if done right.

It probably needs to be said that no, these things are not as durable as traditional firearm (yet). They will not tolerate abuse and no one is saying that they are ready for anything outside of range use. How they will wear and how many rounds they will last for remains to be seen. Like I said, the technology is in it's infancy.

There was a time not long ago that we went though this same thing. First with machineguns, then with SMGs, then with semi auto rifles, then aluminum framed guns, and finally polymer framed guns. It took time for all of these things to get figured out and for them to become effective, reliable, and durable.

Last edited:

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Here's some interesting info. The barrel is typically seen as one of the more complex and difficult parts to make, but with electrochemical machining, it's fairly easy and cheap to do.

If you are interested in this, download the video now because YouTube is likely to take it down at some point. The step by step instructions he keeps referring to are included with the files for the FGC-9 (those might be the old version, I'll have to check later). You can find those at CTRL+Pew's website. There's also a link in the description of the video for the current version's instructions and print files.

Last edited:

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    The idea of 3d printing firearms, with respect to what most 3d printer plastics are capable of, is very interesting. No need to worry about commercial viability, and can open doors for less common operating systems

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    This thread might have pushed me over the edge on a series of stupid purchases

Attachments

• 20210225_022226.jpg
      20210225_022226.jpg
      823 KB · Views: 146

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    I just ordered one of these fancy thingamajigs. If I can figure out how it works I'll post some pics up here. It will probably be a month or two before I get it here and up / running.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    A 3D printed semi auto 45-70 that uses NO commercially available firearm parts and does not require any machining equipment.

Yes, it's crude, doesn't quite work yet, and has some other issues, but it shows that if there's a will, there's a way. There's no way to effectively ban what this guy is doing. With enough work and design tweaks, I feel like this could be a functional firearm.

Maverick44,

In 1969, a "jungle workshop" in South VN was found by the AMERICAL MP Company where a group of about 40 women were making AK 47 rifles from scratch & using NO electricity, running water & nothing more than common hand tools.

The rifles that the women were making were UGLY but they shot just FINE.
    (Based on some evidence that was found at a nearby location, it seems that the same group were making 7.62X39MM ammo "from scratch" too.)
    ADDENDA: I was rather fascinated when I found out that the VC were smelting down empty artillery shell casings & CASTING the 7.62X39 cases.

The MPs kept 4 of the "homebrew AKs" & 3 of them are now on display at The MP Museum at Ft Leonard Wood, MO.
    The 4th "VC" AK is on display at Aberdeen Proofing Ground.

USAMPM also has a single-shot .38 SPL pistol that was made "inside the wire" from "found materials" at a WWII POW Camp in VA.

yours, satx

Last edited:

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    A 3D printed semi auto 45-70 that uses NO commercially available firearm parts and does not require any machining equipment.

Yes, it's crude, doesn't quite work yet, and has some other issues, but it shows that if there's a will, there's a way. There's no way to effectively ban what this guy is doing. With enough work and design tweaks, I feel like this could be a functional firearm.

Yeah, they are printing working rocket engines and turbine blades. It is not a stretch to imagine firearms...

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    Here is a link to another. The FGC-9. Can be made 100% home built with non firearm parts down to home made ECM rifling in hydraulic tube. There is a whole scene of home made 3d printed firearms and recievers.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom