Capitol Armory ad

This is why I tell people not to change oil at 15,000 miles...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    My STI will barely engine brake ... granted it's got some inertia, but with an AWD drivetrain and a turbo providing backpressure you'd think it'd slow down, but it's only rocking 8:1 compression, LOL.

Some of that is emissions tuning. Throttle is drive by wire now, just because you lift doesn't mean the throttle is closing.

I hate the way that these new e-throttles respond when you lift - they don't snap shut! They basically... don't. And most of them are slow to respond to a request for power, too.
    Guns International

austinbirdnut

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2011
    Lat 30.495992 / Lon -97.729223
    It still baffles me why anyone in their right mind would risk an engine by extending oil life!! Its the one thing the average car owner has control over in keeping their powerplant happy and running cool. What engine wouldnt love a fresh transfusion every 3-5k?
    What cracks me up worse are the guys I run with in the turbo diesel world....WTF are they thinkin when they add 5 filters to scrub oil so they can make their $75 oil change go twice as far . If I had to replace my old 7.3L Powerstroke, Id be lookin at 5-6 grand, Easy, let alone what newer diesel costs....dumbest move anyone can make I think...
    However, @texas1911, mine engine brakes like a champ if the torque converter is engaged :-) but, she'll also basically drive herself in first gear at 10mph just by taking my foot off the brake :-)
    Excellent thread!

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    That looks extreme even from accumulation of a few 15,000mi oil changes. I suspect something else is wrong with that engine... Somethign is causing the oil to significantly thicken.

On the subject of oil, if you want the best buy synthetic. Personally? I don't see the cost benefit. I buy whatever is on sale (usually dino) and change it between 3-5k depending on how I've been driving. The thing I don't skimp on is filter. I buy Wix or Amsoil when they are available. I think what I do works well, but my truck only has 240,000mi on it.

Drive by wire controls... I hate them, too. Passionately hate them. First e-throttle I ever drove was on a friend's civic. It's horrid. That said the one on my RX8 seems pretty good, so they can be designed well. When I bought the car I honestly did not know it had an electronic throttle.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    The manual with my Porshe says 15,000 miles between oil changes.....even though it holds 9 qts. there is no way I would
    go that long between changes.
    Nope, no need to drop engine for oil change.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    On the subject of oil, if you want the best buy synthetic. Personally? I don't see the cost benefit. I buy whatever is on sale (usually dino) and change it between 3-5k depending on how I've been driving. The thing I don't skimp on is filter. I buy Wix or Amsoil when they are available. I think what I do works well, but my truck only has 240,000mi on it.

Depends entirely on what you're driving, and then on how it's being driven. You're not going to do well with a turbocharged VW engine filled with dino...

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    What about the new mustangs with the 10 qt deep sump that can take 10K mile oil change intervals? I change every 5K miles on mine, synthetic 5W-20 or 5W-30. I think windsors took 5W-30 and romeos recommended 5W-20. I use whatever is available at Oreilly's for a good price, usually valvoline, mobile 1, or castrol. Motorcraft filters are all I use, however.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I probably still wouldn't go ten. Engines are getting more and more stressed...

Motorcraft filters are good, stick with 'em. I've got no problem with any of the oil brands you named, either.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Yup, I stick with recognized brands, not house brands, and I use synthetic. Last owner was using 10W-30 high mileage synthetic mobile one, I switched back to lighter 5W a little while after I bought it. Had 92K miles when I got it, now it's at... 113K or 114K.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    It still baffles me why anyone in their right mind would risk an engine by extending oil life!!
    Because it is not risky (in most cases) and saves time and money. Millions of vehicles run on extended oil changes with synthetics and go 100s of thousands of miles just fine. My vehicles for the last decade are living proof, as are thousands of fleet vehicles.

Bottom line is that those who have used synthetics usually see the benefit,
    those that dont (and dont want to) will never see the benefit regardless of the mountain of evidence that is out there.

Thats why they sell both kinds of oil still.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    When I asked for a Wix oil filter at NAPA today, he laid a NAPA branded filter on the counter and said Wix make them. Any truth to that?

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I do remember reading an article about all filters not being the same, and it had many pics, and some were infact the same inside, while others were not. It is a possibility.

A quick google search shows that others also say that it is the same.

mikeofcontex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Midlothian, TX
    If memory serves... Purolator makes a fine filter followed by Mobil 1. NAPA now has a platinum filter to better their gold. The sleeper was the Walmart branded filter, Super Tech, but the last time I looked it wasn't available.

They aren't all the same but I don't think anything will handle the amount of "junk" in the pictures.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Depends entirely on what you're driving, and then on how it's being driven. You're not going to do well with a turbocharged VW engine filled with dino...
    That is true... Turbos are a great way to overheat your oil on a consistent basis. I mostly drive older Italian sports cars, but even with their finicky reputation I think they are more durable than some newer cars. I've never been a VW fan, tho.

Top Bottom