• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    I have never owned one and obviously never built one. My SIL knows a guy that works for or owns a company called Polymer 80. They supply 80% lowers as well as a bunch of other parts. Now my SIL says he could get me a deal on a lower for an AR, and then I can have the joy of building one. What I am after is does any one in this forum have anything good or bad to say about this company?

Thanks.
    Venture Surplus ad

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Buy a regular lower for 60 to 100 bucks. You will be much happier.

As for polymer 80, I dont like polymer lowers only because of the buffer tube attachment point is a weakness in polymer. Regardless of how its reinforced or implanted.

If you decide you like building ARs an 80 percent lower is a fun project.

Now for prognosticators anonymous predictions. All unserilized 80 percent lowers will become illegal in more and more places as libtard goobers in charge go after them. The apply the same marxist tactics to guns they do to people. Group label and demonize to chip away at stuff they cant control.

If it's free go for it but otherwise you're not going to save money but you will get an education. ARs really are legos and erector sets for adults so you can always take all the parts from the p 80 lower to put in a real, er aluminium one later when you are done with the plastic.

I wouldnt buy other parts from p80. They are kinda expensive.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I hunt and plink with a polymer AR. It works great. If I ever need to butt stroke a Marxist I think I'd rather use the M1a anyways.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I think you should go for it for the build experience if nothing else. Anything and everything can be stripped and re-built into a different lower if you desire. After building out a few over the years I still have yet to go with a polymer lower.

I remember hearing about issues with the plum crazy ones long ago and haven't given them much thought since. Regardless, if an experienced person wants to give you a walk through, I'd take them up on it.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    I would build one from new parts first. Then if you like it you can build an 80%. Plenty of left over parts out there to pick up cheap too. Someone else is always upgrading and you can pickup parts that way. Pretty cheap if you just want a reasonable plinker.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

ODDLY, I was asked this afternoon by a neighbor "WHO is making a decent lower receiver to build a "RVN era M16" clone upon??" , using a surplus GI parts kit.

I told Jack that i would ask for advice on the forum.
    (As friends here know, I'm NO FAN OF "The Mattel Special" & don't own one.)

What's your preference in a metal lower that is NOT "HIGH DOLLAR"??
    (This will be Jack's 1st AR rifle.)

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Find an Anderson lower. On sale I have seen them for $30 or so.

lightflyer,

Jack will "get out cheap" then, as he told me that he paid 255.oo for the GI parts kit with a 1-8 twenty-inch barrel . = <300.oo.

In 2020, as bad as I hate to say it, a LOW COST RIFLE.
    (I'm old enough to remember 25.oo "sporterized" military rifles. = I paid 9.95 for my FIRST "deer rifle", that I bought myself, a Model 94 Mauser IN GREAT SHAPE, that I "picked out of a barrel full of Mausers" at GIANT DISCOUNT CENTER. - At that time, you could buy a "serviceable" AUSSIE SMLE #1 for 6.oo.)
    ADDENDA: In 1966, WWII-era Swedish 6.5x55mm service ammo was 2 bucks per 100, believe it or not.
    (I often didn't HAVE the 2 bucks, as I was DIRT POOR in college, after my dad died.)

Note: In 1969, when I was senior in college, we usually paid a nickel each for WWII FMJ German 8mm Mauser ammo. at that time M2 Ball ammo for the M1 Garand was about 6 cents each, by the 50 rounds or more.
    (I cannot tell you how many hundreds of FMJ bullets that I "pulled" & replaced with Remington JSP bullets to hunt with in my US Rifle Model of 1917.)

THANKS, satx

Last edited:

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    I bought a complete upper and a complete lower back when they were on special for less than $150 each. I think I bought six lowers and uppers. Four plain carbines and a .22 upper as well as a 7.62x39 upper. I have built several before but find little need to now. Good knowledge though. I also have an AR15 pistol and an AR9 pistol. I can almost arm a whole squad if I wanted to.

Under $100 rifles have been gone for some time. I had bought some old 303 enfields long ago that were fun to shoot and cheap. Sold them over the years though.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    lightflyer1,

Fwiw, I bought my LAST <100.oo rifle in the Fall of 2012 for 60.oo cash at a DUNKIN DONUTS SHOP.

Tom Peters was drinking coffee with me & asked me IF I knew anyone who would like to have a "deer rifle" cheap.

I asked, "What kind??"

Tom said, "Something like Martin, I think. I have it in the car's trunk. Want to see it?"

I said "OK", so we went out to his car & he showed me a Marlin 336T in good shape, in .35 Remington caliber.
    (About that time, it started POURING DOWN rain, so we ran back into the donut shop.)

After drying off a bit, he said, "Would you give 75 bucks for it??"

I said, "Let me see how much that I have with me."
    (I had two 20s, two 10s & 3-4 ones in my billfold.)

Tom said, "I'll take the 60 bucks." & "It was my Uncle Ted's & I don't want a gun in the house, with the grandkids visiting."
    (Fwiw, that is the same Marlin saddle gun that I've mentioned on the forum, at one time or another. - Because of my OLD eyes, it now is scoped with a "25 bucks @ a garage sale" REDFIELD 2X scope/rings.)

yours, satx

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    To All,

ODDLY, I was asked this afternoon by a neighbor "WHO is making a decent lower receiver to build a "RVN era M16" clone upon??" , using a surplus GI parts kit.

I told Jack that i would ask for advice on the forum.
    (As friends here know, I'm NO FAN OF "The Mattel Special" & don't own one.)

What's your preference in a metal lower that is NOT "HIGH DOLLAR"??
    (This will be Jack's 1st AR rifle.)

yours, satx

Brownells

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    zackmars,

THANKS for the info. - Fyi, I not only do NOT own an AR style rifle/carbine but i haven't fired one since 2011, when I retired from the USA & became a "certified OF".

While I have SEEN an Anderson lower at the gun shows, I've never even picked one up to examine it.

My 5.56 NATO carbine is (or WAS) a REMINGTON Model 7615 police pump-carbine.- MY lovely but very petite lady has "adopted it" as she says that it is "PURR-fectly grrl-size" & "You have lots of guns. You won't even miss this one."
    (I also have a "well-used" Model 760 in 5.56mm that I found CHEAP at a pawn shop a couple of years ago & refinished with MINWAX & semi-gloss epoxy appliance paint. - It's my "usual loaner", when guests appear, without firearms, at the farm & want to "punch paper" and/or go hog/critter hunting with us.)

ADDENDA: IF you have NOT tried epoxy appliance paint to refinish firearms for "rough service", it is available in several colors, is inexpensive (about 12.oo to do a shotgun/rifle/carbine or 2-3 handguns), covers "pitting" quite well & once fully cured (about 48 hours), it is difficult to damage with sandpaper AND salt spray will NOT rust the firearm metal that is beneath the paint.. ---- I usually, depending on the appearance that i want, I buy GLOSS, SEMI-GLOSS or FLAT BLACK paint.
    (I long ago lost count of the number of LEO's & friends pistols that I refinished with appliance paint.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    zackmars,

THANKS for the info. - Fyi, I not only do NOT own an AR style rifle/carbine but i haven't fired one since 2011, when I retired from the USA & became a "certified OF".

While I have SEEN an Anderson lower at the gun shows, I've never even picked one up to examine it.

My 5.56 NATO carbine is (or WAS) a REMINGTON Model 7615 police pump-carbine.- MY lovely but very petite lady has "adopted it" as she says that it is "PURR-fectly grrl-size" & "You have lots of guns. You won't even miss this one."
    (I also have a "well-used" Model 760 in 5.56mm that I found CHEAP at a pawn shop a couple of years ago & refinished with MINWAX & semi-gloss epoxy appliance paint. - It's my "usual loaner", when guests appear, without firearms, at the farm & want to "punch paper" and/or go hog/critter hunting with us.)

yours, satx

You can also have him check out nodak spud, but IIRC they are more expensive and are often out of stock.

Brownells lowers arent the cheapest, my a1 lower was about $100 before FFL fees, but it's very well made and machined.

They also have 601 and XM16E1 style lowers depending on what era he wants to emulate

Top Bottom