• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    It kind of cuts both ways. It's true that technically anyone in the service can be deployed to do anything I guess. Some guy working admin in HQ stateside could have a gun shoved in his hands and put on the front. Probably not this day in age, but it probably did happen in WW2 and prior. Even service academy cadets are considered active duty and get a ribbon for being active during "wartime" (National Defense Service Ribbon). And without everyone doing their job, nothing gets done. So the admin clerk, the aircraft maintenance guy, and even the general's assitant, all have a role to play. Bronze or Silver Stars and Valor enhancements maybe separate the groups. And maybe it'd be more offensive if the stolen valor guy was fronting some CMoH or actual valor medals or PH or whatever. It is offensive, and as others said I think it's a crime if they even get a discount from the intentional misrepresentation.

What's irritating, though, is how gushing people are to say "thank you for your service" and especially the politicians, when the perception (and sometimes as elicited by the veteran) make it seem like they're on the front line. The recruiting commercials rarely show some balding guy with glasses sitting at a desk with a stack of personnel papers on his desk and a few stripes on his sleeve or a guy fetching coffee for some brass and laying out his uniform or whatever. The perception of the public is that everyone was taking fire like Hillary. Sure, all the jobs are needed. But there is clearly a difference between someone taking fire and putting their life in jeopardy every day versus the guy stationed CONUS that gets to go home to his family everyday at 5:30. And some of the veterans play up to that. They'll get all the freebies they can and front as if that limp wasn't from tripping over a dog's toy or some Legos but rather from that embedded shrapnel from 'Nam (despite being 40 yrs old). I'm sure everyone on here is familiar with the Navy SEAL stolen valor vids where the actual SEAL (forgive me for forgetting his name off the top of my head) outs these guys. Frequently the fake SEAL is a veteran, but was a cook or dropped out of basic.

I don't really want to argue about theatre deployments or being in CONUS during a conflict or war......however, any vet who did time during a period of conflict had the possibility of being deployed to theatre and receiving fire. Just because that may not have happened.....it does not diminish the service of an honorably discharged vet. They signed up and served.
    Capitol Armory ad

A & P

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2014
    Tomball/Magnolia
    I don't really want to argue about theatre deployments or being in CONUS during a conflict or war......however, any vet who did time during a period of conflict had the possibility of being deployed to theatre and receiving fire. Just because that may not have happened.....it does not diminish the service of an honorably discharged vet. They signed up and served.
    Well, and to that point, anyone who ever volunteered even during peace time did a noble thing. At any time, conflict can break out. At any time, Maj Nadal Hasan could shoot up Ft Hood. At any time, the SP working the gate at an Air Force Base stateside could have a drive by shooting (which I think is why they moved all the gates back). And all gave up freedoms to defend freedoms they don't really have. The UCMJ is a bit stricter than civilian life. Don't show up to work at Sonic...maybe you don't get scheduled next week. Don't show up in the Army...going to jail.

But it still seems a bit different to me when one kid says "I can't afford college and it's peace time right now and I could get the Army to pay for my college if I join for a few years and hopefully even learn a trade in the meantime" versus the guy who is making millions playing in the NFL and gives it up to join the SF during a time of conflict knowing and hoping he'll be deployed into the belly of the beast (and then was killed by friendly fire). Remember the mom on TV crying into the camera several years ago when her son got deployed. She said it wasn't fair. Her son joined to get a college education, not to go fight in some war. Or the parents or guidance counselors who say "you're going down the wrong path...you need some discipline...you're going in the military" as if the military is a correctional facility for troubled youth.

Not trying to take anything away from anyone who volunteered (or who was drafted and served honorably), but in my mind those two guys are bit different. I wouldn't look down on either, but I might hold one up in a more sacred light. I'd scramble some eggs in a second but I don't know if I'd jump out of a plane at night with five other guys knowing there were 50 guys on the ground wanting to cut my head off and drag my corpse behind a mule when I land.

And Jane Q Public tends to think everyone is the latter. How many people say "oh, you were in the military" and then the assumption is that you can shoot and you must be a trained sniper. "No ma'am, but I can make a mean meatball sandwich! I did shoot a gun once in basic training though."

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    Well, and to that point, anyone who ever volunteered even during peace time did a noble thing. At any time, conflict can break out. At any time, Maj Nadal Hasan could shoot up Ft Hood. At any time, the SP working the gate at an Air Force Base stateside could have a drive by shooting (which I think is why they moved all the gates back). And all gave up freedoms to defend freedoms they don't really have. The UCMJ is a bit stricter than civilian life. Don't show up to work at Sonic...maybe you don't get scheduled next week. Don't show up in the Army...going to jail.

But it still seems a bit different to me when one kid says "I can't afford college and it's peace time right now and I could get the Army to pay for my college if I join for a few years and hopefully even learn a trade in the meantime" versus the guy who is making millions playing in the NFL and gives it up to join the SF during a time of conflict knowing and hoping he'll be deployed into the belly of the beast (and then was killed by friendly fire). Remember the mom on TV crying into the camera several years ago when her son got deployed. She said it wasn't fair. Her son joined to get a college education, not to go fight in some war. Or the parents or guidance counselors who say "you're going down the wrong path...you need some discipline...you're going in the military" as if the military is a correctional facility for troubled youth.

Not trying to take anything away from anyone who volunteered (or who was drafted and served honorably), but in my mind those two guys are bit different. I wouldn't look down on either, but I might hold one up in a more sacred light. I'd scramble some eggs in a second but I don't know if I'd jump out of a plane at night with five other guys knowing there were 50 guys on the ground wanting to cut my head off and drag my corpse behind a mule when I land.

And Jane Q Public tends to think everyone is the latter. How many people say "oh, you were in the military" and then the assumption is that you can shoot and you must be a trained sniper. "No ma'am, but I can make a mean meatball sandwich! I did shoot a gun once in basic training though."

When a person enlists they takes their risks and suffer the will of Uncle Sam. Some have it easier than others. The soldier has no control. Even those who are drafted.......btw......every able bodied male becomes eligible at 18.

I agree that some vets play it up......but there are basic benefits that ALL honorably discharged vets are entitled to.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    I usually tell people that I served and did my part but was never in combat. Most of my time was either in some combat school training or police call type of activities. I was an M60 machine gunner/paratrooper in the 82nd Airborne Division (1977-1981). I thank them for their kind thoughts but to save it for the actual combat veterans who actually fought and/or were wounded/killed serving their country. In the same vein I could use the VA for medical but don't as I have private insurance and don't want to take up the limited dollars and availability of the VA medical system.

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    I usually tell people that I served and did my part but was never in combat. Most of my time was either in some combat school training or police call type of activities. I was an M60 machine gunner/paratrooper in the 82nd Airborne Division (1977-1981). I thank them for their kind thoughts but to save it for the actual combat veterans who actually fought and/or were wounded/killed serving their country. In the same vein I could use the VA for medical but don't as I have private insurance and don't want to take up the limited dollars and availability of the VA medical system.

I was in Panama but didnt see action. I have gone back to school and dont have insurance. I rely on the VA and thank God I have that option.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Ive never stepped foot in the VA. I retired from the military so I have Tricare for medical insurance. I did use my VA loan last year to buy this house.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    I was in Panama but didnt see action. I have gone back to school and dont have insurance. I rely on the VA and thank God I have that option.

I went to Jungle Warfare school down there in 78 or 79. Fort Sherman. Lots of Vietnam vet helicopter pilots down there then. They did some amazing flying with us in their birds. What a roller coaster ride! Nap of the earth flying.

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    Well....I am supremely grateful to the Central Texas VA system. They have provided me with excellent care and I don't have any issues with using it as I cannot currently, as a returning college student.......pay for private health care.

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    I went to Jungle Warfare school down there in 78 or 79. Fort Sherman.

I was a lab tech at the health clinic/hospital on Ft. Clayton.......88-90......I think it was bldg. 519.......I was barracked down the road at I believe Corozal......really small installation.....you could see the Miraflores canal locks from the front gate. Also pulled guard duty at Gorgas hospital right before the invasion. That place was right on the edge of the red light disctrict.

Last edited:

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    From Panama I went to Ft. Irwin, Ca........and helped medically process soldiers going to the first Gulf War after 30 days of desert warfare training out in the Mojave.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    I also went to desert training there. As well as arctic training in Alaska and amphibious warfare school in Virginia. As I said I spent the majority of my time volunteering and going to combat schools/training. All these and more. Never got to use any of the skills they taught me though, at least not for them. I was probably one of the best trained, unused soldiers around at the time. I killed a lot of trash and guarded a lot of nothing as well.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Sounds like they are career criminals and just need to stay in prison. Lying about stolen valor is the least of their issues. More than likely they will continue on their path and spend most of their life incarcerated.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    A veteran whether regular military Reserve or National Guard at one point wrote a check payable to the people of the United States for any amount up to and including his or her life.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Well when I was in and after I got out there was none of this "Thank you for your service" stuff. Being in the service made you a dolt and someone to be despised. Some of the post Vietnam stuff. Sure has turned around now though. But I didn't serve for any recognition, but because I felt it was my duty. My grandfather served in WWI and was wounded. My father was career in the Air Force and flew over Korea. Two brothers in the Army and Marines. My stint in the Army. Both my daughters served in the Marines and Army in Afghanistan. Even my wife was in the Marines. I think we have served our country well.

Top Bottom