• ...and so much more!
  • cleric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    DFW
    What should I be on the look out?

What questions should i?

I am looking towards throckmorton. I can get some doves, ducks if there is eough water, deer, and maybe turkeys and hogs.
    Capitol Armory ad

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    If it's a really good one, you should invite me out to help thin the animal population!

Seriously, you need to find out:
    1. Is it year-round or just for a specific season?
    2. Are there cattle or will people be working in the area (e.g., rounding up cattle, maintaining a right-of-way, oil/gas workers)?
    3. Is water available? (Electricity or sewer might be nice, but you always find a need for water.)
    4. What are the exact boundaries? (I was on a lease once that had a poorly laid out boundary and the guys on the lease next door built stands on our lease.)
    5. Make sure there's a written contract.
    6. What are the access points in and out? (gates, locks)
    7. Is there a building to sleep in or a place to camp?
    8. Nearest residences? (i.e., Don't shoot near there!)
    9. Can we cut paths or trim trees?
    10. Can we put up permanent stands or do we need to take them down at the end of the season?
    11. Are there areas that can't be reached during bad weather? (e.g., creek floods and you can't get out)
    12. Is the lease managed? (In theory, they're all supposed to be, but not all are.) Sign-in book, list for all game taken, limits on does, etc.
    13. Anything odd on the property we need to know about? (Hunted a place that had live ordinance left over from WWII. THAT was interesting!)
    14. Dogs allowed? (Was on a place once that had great quail hunting, but didn't allow dogs. The owner hated dogs. Really.)
    15. Any exotics? (e.g. Axis deer) If so, how much to hunt them?

I'm sure others will add to the list.

cleric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    DFW
    Still looking for a lease in north Texas. if anyone knows anyone selling please let me know :)

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    If it's a really good one, you should invite me out to help thin the animal population!

Seriously, you need to find out:
    1. Is it year-round or just for a specific season?
    2. Are there cattle or will people be working in the area (e.g., rounding up cattle, maintaining a right-of-way, oil/gas workers)?
    3. Is water available? (Electricity or sewer might be nice, but you always find a need for water.)
    4. What are the exact boundaries? (I was on a lease once that had a poorly laid out boundary and the guys on the lease next door built stands on our lease.)
    5. Make sure there's a written contract.
    6. What are the access points in and out? (gates, locks)
    7. Is there a building to sleep in or a place to camp?
    8. Nearest residences? (i.e., Don't shoot near there!)
    9. Can we cut paths or trim trees?
    10. Can we put up permanent stands or do we need to take them down at the end of the season?
    11. Are there areas that can't be reached during bad weather? (e.g., creek floods and you can't get out)
    12. Is the lease managed? (In theory, they're all supposed to be, but not all are.) Sign-in book, list for all game taken, limits on does, etc.
    13. Anything odd on the property we need to know about? (Hunted a place that had live ordinance left over from WWII. THAT was interesting!)
    14. Dogs allowed? (Was on a place once that had great quail hunting, but didn't allow dogs. The owner hated dogs. Really.)
    15. Any exotics? (e.g. Axis deer) If so, how much to hunt them?

I'm sure others will add to the list.

i want to hear the story on #13!

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Ask to see pictures of deer taken on the property.
    Survey the property yourself. Don't see any wildlife there may not be any.
    Look for standing water and vegitation. Has it all been grazed off by stock?
    Look for pig destruction. They can tear up your feeders and fences.
    Ask if you can build deer fences around your feeders.
    Will you be the ONLY hunters on this land? Will they prosecute EVERYONE else for poaching? Get it in the contract.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RafaelQ
    Top Bottom