• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2015
    So my family has 110 acres plus another desperate plot of about 50 acres in Personville near Grosbeck. I was thinking about making an awesome gun range that I'm not able to shoot at living up in the DFW area. It would allow FMJ and why not full auto and just the experience that you don't get at most other ranges.

I'm not sure what a good size is. I would like longer than 100 yards for rifles. I would possibly want skeet shooting with stages with different scenarios and flight paths, ect...

I also don't know about the cost. I'm sure it won't be cheap but I also want to shoot steel if that is feasible. Obviously the targets would have to be thick enough for the FMJ not to go through. I have many more ideas once I get established and roll out more things associated with the range like classes, or custom gun coatings or whatever.

This of course is all just an idea. I'm just trying to get an idea of things.

Please put your two cents in or ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DK Firearms

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    When it comes to steel targets it's not so much about thickness as it is hardness of the metal.

Once you put a crater in a steel target there is a risk of ricochets. The more craters, the more likely it is to happen. So even if the metal is thick enough to stop the bullet from going through it is still likely to creat a dangerous situation, especially at close range. My BIL found that out the hard way after I told him my steel was for pistols only and he decided to put a few rounds on it with his AR. He started catching pieces of jacket after less than 10 rounds.

Sent from my HAL 9000

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I hate to foo foo on the idea but you did ask ...

50 miles from Waco, 110 from Dallas and 150 from Houston. You're going to have difficulty filling it every weekend unless it is exceptional AND a good value. Good luck!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2015
    I don't know about Waco or Houston, but I personally hate the ranges in Dallas. Only one can you shoot FMJ and those people aren't very nice and charge you an extra $20 just to shoot their 200 yard range. Other out door Rangers don't let FMJ at 100 yards and their skeet shooting isn't the best.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I understand. I only go to a range when it's an agreed meet up, otherwise I much prefer my home club which is rarely crowded and much more flexible in usage.

Hone

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    Are you inviting all of us Glockster? =D

On topic - If you've surveyed the area and think you can fill it up enough for it to be worth the investment. Then sweet. When it comes to steel shooting - invest in good targets. Use good AR500 Steel targets. Talk to Larue and see if they can cut you some sort of a deal on their steel targets if you buy multiple from them.

Otherwise, turn it into a private range. Advertise it as such and let people rent it. When it's not being rented - you've got it for yourself and your friends.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2015
    Why do you say this? I don't know much about it but I'm just thinking you just need more space with a large burm at the end?

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Many of us have had dreams of building a range.

But even in Texas, the biggest hurdle is to get government approval and liability insurance.

In an unregulated State, I would build a shooting range, a titty bar, a bordello, and an RV Park.

What better than a one-stop place to bust some caps, knock down a few drinks, slip some strippers a dollar bill, bust a nut, then rack out for the night?

Be well.

james.long48

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2015

But even in Texas, the biggest hurdle is to get government approval and liability insurance.

In an unregulated State, I would build a shooting range, a $#@! bar, a bordello, and an RV Park.

What better than a one-stop place to bust some caps, knock down a few drinks, slip some strippers a dollar bill, bust a nut, then rack out for the night?

Be well.
    Sounds a dream vacation spot, wonder if the wife would be game.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Why do you say this? I don't know much about it but I'm just thinking you just need more space with a large burm at the end?

I'm working on a long range currently. Doesn't need a wide path, but absolutely requires a CLEAR path. Vegetation is a big issue. Sunflowers are really a bitch. Mesquite don't die easy neither. Roots run deep in hard clay. Shit keeps growing. Even in a drought.

STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak

In an unregulated State, I would build a shooting range, a $#@! bar, a bordello, and an RV Park.

Be well.

Can I get a TGT discounts? Maybe GZP can open a smith shop too.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    There was another member here who had a dream of building a range in Hayes county. He has had major issues with the neighbors and the media. I'm not even sure if they're still open as I moved down here. Make sure you have a shit ton of money for lawyers.

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    There was another member here who had a dream of building a range in Hayes county. He has had major issues with the neighbors and the media. I'm not even sure if they're still open as I moved down here. Make sure you have a shit ton of money for lawyers.

Sadly, this is a real problem. If you are in the Dallas area, go check out TDSA and ask Len what kind of issues he has had running his range. He has the best set up I have seen

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2015
    I actually know Len. And have been there many times. I would go there but you have to pay for a whole year membership and unfortunately I don't go shooting enough to justify the yearly membership fee and all the ammo I would need.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2015
    Let me clarify
    Have met**[Len] haha. It's not like we're friends and he would cut me a deal or anything.

james.long48

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2015
    Sadly, this is a real problem. If you are in the Dallas area, go check out TDSA and ask Len what kind of issues he has had running his range. He has the best set up I have seen

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    TDSA looks awesome, too bad there isn't anything North of Dallas like that. Over an hour drive one way makes it a weekends only, once a month kind of place.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    If serious about opening a public range, I would suggest attending a Range Development & Operations Conference with the NRA.

Some of the topics covered:

Business Planning
    EPA Lead Standards
    Grants
    Construction
    Sound Abatement
    Range Equipment
    Costs
    Master Planning
    Range Maintenance
    Range Safety
    Law Enforcement
    NRA Programs
    Insurance

NRA Range Development Conference

Buy the Range Source Book here...

Invaluable resource when planning a new range, imho...

Range Source Book

Top Bottom