• ...and so much more!
  • Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    So I had it bassakwards huh?

Looking at a Savage Arms MSR 15 Recon. The only ammunition it list is 223 Wylde. Would that seem right that it'd only eat 223 ammunition?

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    The Wylde chamber allows use of both .223 and 5.56.
    Theoretically you’re not supposed to shoot 5.56 in a true .223 chambered gun. There a miniscule difference in external dimensions as well as true mil-spec loaded 5.56 possibilities of over pressures.
    It depends on the individual firearm. I’ve seen older .223 sporting guns fire 5.56 with no issues. One major issue on the is old .223’s are rifled real slow. 1-12 usually and they are horribly inaccurate with the heavier 5.56 bullets. You have to stick with the lighter bullets. Say 45-55grns for any kind of accuracy.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    At typical SD distances a free float handguard superfluous.

Where is makes a difference is long range or with the classic military sling wrapped around the arm thing.

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    How important is a free floating hand guard relative to accuracy?

Mostly helps when you hang a bunch of crap on the gun that all add weight or stress on the barrel: lights, lasers, bipods, grenade launchers, slings, etc...

If the doodad you are mounting is a sighting device you'll probably want it on a FF rail because the drop-in rails can shift/rotate slightly.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Either way, the gun is very likely to be more accurate than the operator.
    Yup... that's the type of answer I was looking for with that question.

Right now it's a toss up between the Savage Arms MSR 15 Recon and a Springfield Saint.

The Savage is $899.00 at Cabela's which I can order and $799.00 Academy which, it appears, I can not order.

The Springfield is $849.00 at Academy but I'm not even sure I can order it and Cabela's doesn't list it.

If it's chambered for 5.56 Nato/.223 Rem I'm assuming that's not the prefered Wylde chamber.

I'm still looking but I am starting to reach the end of the funnel....

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Let’s see how tempted he is load his rail with useless stuff.
    I can tell you - Not very. Optics will be about it. Nightstand S/D is CZ 75 SP-01 Phantom so no need for light on AR.

ETA: Just re-read some of the post and I'm thinking that rail mounted grenade launcher got me thinking.....

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Due in part to availability it looks like I'm gonna go with the Savage MSR 15 RECON. Below is the specs available from Cabela's. If anyone sees, in the specs, a reason to keep looking I'd appreciate getting the heads-up about it.

I've seen the term "5R rifling" on a few other AR's but - what does that mean?

Cartridge or Gauge: .223 Wylde
    DESCRIPTION
    logo_savage-01red

The Savage® MSR-15 Recon™ Semi-Auto Rifle comes from the factory with many components usually considered enhanced, add-on tactical accessories, all to get you out in the field with a reliable, accurate weapon at a competitive price. An AXIOM™ carbine stock adjusts according to the shooter's size, or to the number of clothing layers or tactical equipment worn. A BLACKHAWK!® KNOXX® AR pistol grip, and a free-float M-LOK® handguard provide multiple options for a solid, customized grip. A premium Savage barrel with a 223 Wylde target chamber and 5R rifling deliver outstanding accuracy with .223 Rem. and 5.56mm ammunition; and a Melonite QPQ finish protects the barrel from harsh elements. The MSR-15 Recon uses a BLACKHAWK! trigger with Nickel Boron treatment to attain the rifle's full accuracy potential. The upper receiver has a full-length Picatinny rail that lines-up with the handguard rail to provide ample rail space for mounting aftermarket tactical sights; and the rail comes equipped with BLACKHAWK! flip-up front and rear sights. The Savage MSR-15 Recon Semi-Auto Rifle operates with a direct-impingement system, and the rifle fieldstrips as any AR-type tactical rifle does.
    Manufacturer model #: 22901.
    • AXIOM carbine stock
    • KNOXX AR pistol grip
    • 223 Wylde target chamber
    • Premium barrel with 5R rifling
    • Melonite QPQ barrel finish
    • Free-float M-LOK handguard
    • BLACKHAWK! Nickel Boron trigger
    • BLACKHAWK! flip-up sights
    • Direct-impingement system

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Looks pretty good. Should do the trick.

And to think I could have (should have) bought a Ruger AR556 earlier this year for about $475...

Top Bottom