Thinking about a rifle purchase

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
Jul 14, 2020
USA
Either way, the gun is very likely to be more accurate than the operator.
Yup... that's the type of answer I was looking for with that question.

Right now it's a toss up between the Savage Arms MSR 15 Recon and a Springfield Saint.

The Savage is $899.00 at Cabela's which I can order and $799.00 Academy which, it appears, I can not order.

The Springfield is $849.00 at Academy but I'm not even sure I can order it and Cabela's doesn't list it.

If it's chambered for 5.56 Nato/.223 Rem I'm assuming that's not the prefered Wylde chamber.

I'm still looking but I am starting to reach the end of the funnel....

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
Jul 14, 2020
USA
Let’s see how tempted he is load his rail with useless stuff.
I can tell you - Not very. Optics will be about it. Nightstand S/D is CZ 75 SP-01 Phantom so no need for light on AR.

ETA: Just re-read some of the post and I'm thinking that rail mounted grenade launcher got me thinking.....

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
Jul 14, 2020
USA
Due in part to availability it looks like I'm gonna go with the Savage MSR 15 RECON. Below is the specs available from Cabela's. If anyone sees, in the specs, a reason to keep looking I'd appreciate getting the heads-up about it.

I've seen the term "5R rifling" on a few other AR's but - what does that mean?

Cartridge or Gauge: .223 Wylde
DESCRIPTION

The Savage® MSR-15 Recon™ Semi-Auto Rifle comes from the factory with many components usually considered enhanced, add-on tactical accessories, all to get you out in the field with a reliable, accurate weapon at a competitive price. An AXIOM™ carbine stock adjusts according to the shooter's size, or to the number of clothing layers or tactical equipment worn. A BLACKHAWK!® KNOXX® AR pistol grip, and a free-float M-LOK® handguard provide multiple options for a solid, customized grip. A premium Savage barrel with a 223 Wylde target chamber and 5R rifling deliver outstanding accuracy with .223 Rem. and 5.56mm ammunition; and a Melonite QPQ finish protects the barrel from harsh elements. The MSR-15 Recon uses a BLACKHAWK! trigger with Nickel Boron treatment to attain the rifle's full accuracy potential. The upper receiver has a full-length Picatinny rail that lines-up with the handguard rail to provide ample rail space for mounting aftermarket tactical sights; and the rail comes equipped with BLACKHAWK! flip-up front and rear sights. The Savage MSR-15 Recon Semi-Auto Rifle operates with a direct-impingement system, and the rifle fieldstrips as any AR-type tactical rifle does.
Manufacturer model #: 22901.
  • AXIOM carbine stock
  • KNOXX AR pistol grip
  • 223 Wylde target chamber
  • Premium barrel with 5R rifling
  • Melonite QPQ barrel finish
  • Free-float M-LOK handguard
  • BLACKHAWK! Nickel Boron trigger
  • BLACKHAWK! flip-up sights
  • Direct-impingement system

oldag

TGT Addict
Feb 19, 2015
Looks pretty good. Should do the trick.

And to think I could have (should have) bought a Ruger AR556 earlier this year for about $475...

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Drockton Bullion

Forum statistics

Threads
Members