• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    So... got a rifle n' got a scope. Bubble vials are supposed to be here today to complete assembly of the two. Now I'm looking at either lens covers or scope covers. I'm not head over heels lovin' the flip-up lens covers but am opened to being convinced to go that way. The covers that completely cover the scope, most I've seen are neoprene or similar material. The covers I seem to have the most interest in are the once where the two caps are connected with an elastic cord/string/whatever. I can see the advantage of the flip-up design and may ultimately go that way. What are most of y'all using to protect the scope/lens?

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Welp... my La Rue fully assembled upper shipped today. It also includes parts/pieces to complete the lower. Got the PSA AR15 sitting here at the shop with the Vortex properly mounted but never sighted in. Guess I'll stick the iron sights back on the PSA and bolt the Vortex to the La Rue when it shows up.

Last edited:

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    flip ups.
    for extended storage a modifed old sock slips over the whole scope if im worried about dust.

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    So... got a rifle n' got a scope. Bubble vials are supposed to be here today to complete assembly of the two. Now I'm looking at either lens covers or scope covers. I'm not head over heels lovin' the flip-up lens covers but am opened to being convinced to go that way. The covers that completely cover the scope, most I've seen are neoprene or similar material. The covers I seem to have the most interest in are the once where the two caps are connected with an elastic cord/string/whatever. I can see the advantage of the flip-up design and may ultimately go that way. What are most of y'all using to protect the scope/lens?
    I learned the hard way last year about covering my scope. Misty day in the stand and a nice 8 point walks under stand at 30yds. Picked up rifle and all I could see is a blur, as moisture had settled on both lenses. I had the cheap Butler Creek flip ups at home and took them off. I have the Alumina flip ups on my Leupold VX-6 and they are nice (and spendy), and the Butler Creek ones are a permanent fixture on my other rifle. For storing it, as mentioned above, a sock or neoprene cover works good.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    flip ups.
    for extended storage a modifed old sock slips over the whole scope if im worried about dust.
    I learned the hard way last year about covering my scope. Misty day in the stand and a nice 8 point walks under stand at 30yds. Picked up rifle and all I could see is a blur, as moisture had settled on both lenses. I had the cheap Butler Creek flip ups at home and took them off. I have the Alumina flip ups on my Leupold VX-6 and they are nice (and spendy), and the Butler Creek ones are a permanent fixture on my other rifle. For storing it, as mentioned above, a sock or neoprene cover works good.
    Thanks guys - flip-ups it is. I suppose it was one of those questions where you already know the answer but ask anyway.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Now you need an FAL
    Point Blur_Feb132021_231835.jpg

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Got it 2 days early.... PSA AR15 came in a cardboard box. LaRue came...

20210214_063927.jpg 20210214_064050.jpg
    What it did not come with was instruction. Nothing internet and Rumble could not cure.

20210214_132318.jpg
    As you can see... got the Vortex moved over as well!
    Side by side there is significant differences in build quality between the PSA and the LaRue. That is not to say the PSA is bad. But it ain't no LaRue. Plus... the LaRue just looks badass!

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Got a Pelican V700 hard case for the LaRue and a Plano for the PSA. Just like the PSA ain't no LaRue the Plano ain't no Pelican but it's actually pretty good. Only has 4 latches where the Pelican has 6. The Pelican is easier to unlatch and open. I've cut the foam for the LaRue and some magazines. Still gotta clean the cuts up some but it works. Next will be cutting the foam for the Plano/PSA.

This is all the parts/pieces of the LaRue once I got everthing unpacked. The lower I had picked up a couple of months ago.

20210214_064235 by Doug Wei, on Flickr

This was when I was installing the Vortex Razor. 1st I had to get the gun level, which I did.

20210214_111406 by Doug Wei, on Flickr

The LaRue tucked away in in it's crib....

20210225_142904 by Doug Wei, on Flickr

And the PSA tucked away as well....
    The Plano came with pluck apart foam so it's not as form fitting as the Pelican but it doesn't move a smidgen.

20210225_142954
    by Doug Wei, on Flickr

ETA: Weather permitting I'll be pulling the trigger on both of them making noise and pokin' holes tomorrow!

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    FNG here and I really don't understand the question. The eye piece is ~even with the back of the lower. When I pull the gun up and sight through the scope eye relief seems spot on. But for sure it could be mounted improperly.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    FNG here and I really don't understand the question. The eye piece is ~even with the back of the lower. When I pull the gun up and sight through the scope eye relief seems spot on. But for sure it could be mounted improperly.
    He's saying it looks really high above the rifle which it does.

But if you have a good cheek weld run with it.

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    Looks good, but that is a very tall mount for that set up.
    Usually you would only use a high mount like that if you had a large objective lens, so it would still mount level.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    High mounts like that with red dots and LVPO's are coming into vouge recently as it helps when shooting with night vision. Its not a big deal, just keep in mind your hold over up close

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Helps to mount a little high on a rifle meant for longer distance so you don’t run out of adjustment. That’s what I’ve been told anyway. All my rifles are set up to shoot close to midrange, so I set it as close to the bore as I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Helps to mount a little high on a rifle meant for longer distance so you don’t run out of adjustment. That’s what I’ve been told anyway. All my rifles are set up to shoot close to midrange, so I set it as close to the bore as I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That is false information.

How high you mount the scope has no affect on the scope's internal adjustment.

Maybe there was some misunderstanding though. If you have a large bell on your scope and have say a 20 MOA rail and a 20 MOA mount then you will need a higher mount so the bell doesn't hit the rail/ barrel.

Also these guys going for 3 mile hits mount scopes very high as with their 80+ MOA mounts the barrel of the rifle could be in view through the scope.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom