Join TexasGunTalk

Think your place is secure?

Discussion in 'Home Preparedness and Shelters' started by toddnjoyce, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Mohawk600

Mohawk600 Well-Known

Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    Stealth living in the hood.

2. HKaltwasser

HKaltwasser Well-Known

Are you from Canada? Just curious with the Whistler name. I've always wanted to ski there.

3. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known TGT Supporter

Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    No it's a nickname pinned on me in my misspent youth by a well know motorcycle club because I whistled when I was "in the zone" playing pool to make my rent. Just stuck with me over the years.

Southpaw likes this.
  4. etmo

etmo Member

Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    This is what our home security consultant told us, and we had to pay for his advice.

We had our house custom built with the "normal" security features (dog, lights, signs, cameras, fence, integrated security system, etc) but only 2 security features that might be considered uncommon. First, the master closet is a panic room -- nothing too crazy, but definitely would take time to breach and second is the downstairs windows.

We were recommended the 3M security film windows: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/home-window-solutions-us/solutions/safety-security/.

They're not bulletproof, and they can also be breached, but it would take 15+ seconds of very loud & determined work, and that's really all we need. Plenty of time to wake up, realize what's going on, grab my gun, and get into a predetermined defensive position while the wife heads into the closet, locks the door and calls our lawyer.

Another important tip we were given: practice it at least a few times! Pretend it's actually happening, lay down in bed, start a timer on your cell phone, and pretend someone is breaking in through door X or window Y, and go through the motions. If you wear contacts and need to put them in, or keep your gun in a safe and need to retrieve it, or whatever, go through all those steps. You might be surprised by what you learn.

pronstar likes this.
  5. pronstar

pronstar TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I’m going to install these on my doors.

Does nothing for the glass widows we have...that’s another problem waiting for a solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ZX9RCAM likes this.
  6. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    My door would fail way before that.
    Those are security doors.

7. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    And, for "apples to apples" comparison, they'd need to be coming from the other side.
    My doors open in, they are hammering against the door jam.

8. pronstar

pronstar TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Our exterior doors are old and solid wood. They’re heavy and would do ok, methinks.

I’m gonna also looking to the window security film mentioned in this necrothread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ZX9RCAM likes this.