Hutto tx
    1660437990202.jpeg

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    Did a little work last week in Port Arthur. It was a very strange place to be. Socioeconomically different from anywhere else I've ever visited.

Did have a good view of some cool ships coming down the chanel.
    IMG_20220805_115829.jpg
    IMG_20220805_112327674.jpg

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Did a little work last week in Port Arthur. It was a very strange place to be. Socioeconomically different from anywhere else I've ever visited.

Did have a good view of some cool ships coming down the chanel. View attachment 338535 View attachment 338536

You still see blue tarps on roofs?

I used to do a lot of fishing down in the Sabine area & would see blue tarp roofs 8 years after Ike

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    You still see blue tarps on roofs?

I used to do a lot of fishing down in the Sabine area & would see blue tarp roofs 8 years after Ike
    Blue tarps, homes with no roofs entirely, just about the entire city needs a coat of paint, office buildings with windows covered in plywood. The plywood was so old and bleached it was probably 10+ years old.

I packed food for the trip so I was eating out of my cooler, but a coworker always buys his food. It was strange looking for restaurants and the only options were mom and pop joints. That being said the food was amazing.

I've never searched Google maps for fast food in a city before and not had a McDonalds pop up.

SrsTwist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2022
    Austin
    I do DoorDash type food delivery in Austin. I hang out downtown because that's where the highest density of orders and highest payouts are. I see how the homeless f**k up our cities. I'm constantly panhandled. I see people smoking meth right out on the street. I see them freaking out when totally high. I see severely mentally ill people acting out all over the place. I see homeless sleeping everywhere, right on the sidewalks. I see small tent encampments surrounded by fields of trash. I see homeless people fighting all the time, sometimes extremely violently. I see them drinking, smoking, puking and pissing. And people just walk by it all pretending not to see it, acting as if it's normal. Which I guess it's become.

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    I do DoorDash type food delivery in Austin. I hang out downtown because that's where the highest density of orders and highest payouts are. I see how the homeless f**k up our cities. I'm constantly panhandled. I see people smoking meth right out on the street. I see them freaking out when totally high. I see severely mentally ill people acting out all over the place. I see homeless sleeping everywhere, right on the sidewalks. I see small tent encampments surrounded by fields of trash. I see homeless people fighting all the time, sometimes extremely violently. I see them drinking, smoking, puking and pissing. And people just walk by it all pretending not to see it, acting as if it's normal. Which I guess it's become.
    Pictures or it didn't happen.

JK the big city has actually become the place where civilization has decayed. The big city used to show off what our civilization has accomplished......

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    Make sure you get out of the city in your down time. Go out in nature and enjoy the peacefulness. It will do wonders for your mental health.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Make sure you get out of the city in your down time. Go out in nature and enjoy the peacefulness. It will do wonders for your mental health.

Since retirement I seldom enter cities. The less time I spend in a city the more effort I make to avoid going back in one. I prefer to drive further to a small town than enter a city.

SrsTwist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2022
    Austin

Yeah, that's one thing I miss. There's not a lot of national forest or other open public land in the Hill Country. The public areas in and around Austin are pretty crowded. And there's an epidemic of car break-ins at the parking lots for any area where you can hike, like Mount Bonnell or Bull Creek Park. I'd much rather be living in one of the many great smaller Texas towns, but I gotta work.

SrsTwist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2022
    Austin
    Pictures or it didn't happen.

JK the big city has actually become the place where civilization has decayed. The big city used to show off what our civilization has accomplished......

I occasionally see people with GoPros mounted as high quality dash cams. If I could afford to do that I could start one hell of a YouTube channel. The crazy stuff I see both on and next to the streets downtown would provide plenty of material.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Yeah, that's one thing I miss. There's not a lot of national forest or other open public land in the Hill Country. The public areas in and around Austin are pretty crowded. And there's an epidemic of car break-ins at the parking lots for any area where you can hike, like Mount Bonnell or Bull Creek Park. I'd much rather be living in one of the many great smaller Texas towns, but I gotta work.
    Lake Travis isn't far from Austin. Even with the lake low, the LCRA parks should still be open. There's also Pedernales Falls State Park out to the west of town near Johnson City. Beautiful countryside out there.

SrsTwist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2022
    Austin
    Lake Travis isn't far from Austin. Even with the lake low, the LCRA parks should still be open. There's also Pedernales Falls State Park out to the west of town near Johnson City. Beautiful countryside out there.
    Thanks for the tips. I've also found that just driving around in the countryside up around Georgetown is very pretty and calming.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Go a little further north and you'll find Salado. Nice little town to walk around in, and they even have a nice park with a creek running through it. Not a bad way to spend a Saturday. And in mid-November it'll be crowded to the gills with men in kilts and bagpipe bands. Parking is annoying, but a Scottish festival taking over an entire small hill country town is a thing to experience.

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    You are very much correct about the fall of civilization in city areas. I've had two service calls in the last few months. I install wooden semi-custom doors in homes. I had a call out to a H/O (Home Owner), she could see light at the T-astragal at the front double door unit, the service superintendent for the builder, stated "door appears to be warped". While this can happen, it is not something that is likely to be. Most often, issues arise from poor framing or poor jamb installation. In this instance the H/O and service superintendent were complete morons. The H/O set the thumb bolt BEHIND the threshold instead of in the hole in the top of the where it locks into. I wanted to beat both of them for sheer stupidity! What a waste of oxygen, DNA and other organic compounds!

Top Bottom