• ...and so much more!
  • V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Cleaning a beautiful little Baby Browning 25 acp......

His Dad followed the Police advice back in the 70's to engrave your SSN on all your possessions....

All the way down the right side of the slide.......................

AAAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Lynx Defense

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Since it was an electric pencil type engraver, I think it can be either buffed or filed out. I will suggest it him...if it were mine, I definitely would have it cleaned off.....

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Not good but if I had a firearm my dad engraved his SSN on I would leave it as is. What would I care?

Don't get me wrong, my dad is still alive and I would slap the crap out of him but still, his gun. My dad actually does worse to his......

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Cleaning a beautiful little Baby Browning 25 acp......

His Dad followed the Police advice back in the 70's to engrave your SSN on all your possessions....

All the way down the right side of the slide.......................

AAAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, that was dumb.

Police, who are most likely to recover your valuables, had little access to SNs. But they could run a DL in seconds.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Texas asked that you put your DL on guns and property, not SSN, for exactly the reason stated. I have several from back then but they will never be sold so who cares. Doesn't bother me. You might be surprised how many stolen articles, not necessarily guns, that were returned to the owners because of that.

Do you have the SN of the 70" TV written down?

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    I’m fortunate to live in a town with no crime in residential areas and tons of nosy old folks who will call the cops on anything. Everyone on my cul de sac has video surveillance. I’m sure that has something to do with it as well.

A friend of mines elderly father ran out of gas push mowing his lawn in S. Dallas and has his mower swiped when he went to the backyard shed to get the gas can. Now THAT, is some seriously bold shit.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I have an old shotgun with the original owner's SSN engraved (poorly) on the magazine.

I remember being told to use your DL on everything and not your SSN because the cops couldn't look you up by SSN, but they could look you up using the DL if they recovered something. Probably a bad idea now.

I am convinced that there are people who will steal anything. We had people steal the toilet seat from an outhouse on an old poor-boy deer lease we had years ago.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Texas asked that you put your DL on guns and property, not SSN, for exactly the reason stated. I have several from back then but they will never be sold so who cares. Doesn't bother me. You might be surprised how many stolen articles, not necessarily guns, that were returned to the owners because of that.

Do you have the SN of the 70" TV written down?
    Actually, I do keep a database of high dollar items which includes S/N.

Top Bottom