Gun Zone Deals

Things I need to do but, know little about, has anyone done it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    Some things I have on my to do list are,

1. Alternative energy, solar and or wind. (Mainly for water well)
    2. Water storage. I have a barn I am going to gutter.
    3. Cellar : storm and/or food storage.

If any of you have done any of these things, either by your self or contacted, what resources did you use?

I know there is a lot of details to deciding how big or best ways, but need to start somewhere.

Thanks in advance.
    Gun Zone Deals

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    If you tune in to 550 am on weekend mornings, the radio guy has lots of advice for rain water collection.

As for food storage, you don't need a cellar. Best bet is to buy ready-made freeze dried food packs. They last for years and can be re-hydrated with boiled water.

Make sure you have lots of water.

As for alternative energy, your best friends are generators and lots of gasoline, plus a couple bottles of 20 pound propane.

If you look at Katrina, I doubt you will find anyone who survived on solar or wind generated power. They relied on generators, batteries, propane, and stored water and food.

Green = Dead.

STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    If you tune in to 550 am on weekend mornings, the radio guy has lots of advice for rain water collection.

Not sur I get this station here, but I'll see.

As for food storage, you don't need a cellar. Best bet is to buy ready-made freeze dried food packs. They last for years and can be re-hydrated with boiled water.

I am familiar with MREs, Wise, Mountain and others, and they do serve a purpose, but The cellar is multipurpose, not just food storage, although all those would be a valuable asset in it.

Make sure you have lots of water

Yes water is my biggest driver, have several sources is my goal.

As for alternative energy, your best friends are generators and lots of gasoline, plus a couple bottles of 20 pound propane.

Already have generators, and fuel storage, looking for more of a long term.

If you look at Katrina, I doubt you will find anyone who survived on solar or wind generated power. They relied on generators, batteries, propane, and stored water and food.

Katrina would not be my situation. A hurricane maybe, but flooding unlikely.

Green = Dead.

​Green and being prepared and diversified are different, I'm not trying to save the climate, just family and friends.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

If any of you have done any of these things, either by your self or contacted, what resources did you use?

I know there is a lot of details to deciding how big or best ways, but need to start somewhere.

Thanks in advance.

I personally wouldn't rely on a generator unless it's just short term emergency. I plan on doing solar myself, not because I'm a greeny by any stretch, but because it's best way to achieve independence from the grid.

I currently have a household water catchment system and aeration septic system so my power is the only thing that I'm dependent on. I can help with the catchment system if you can give details of what your questions are.

hilltop

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    lavaca county Tx.

Thanks in advance.

I have a 4000 watt solar panel system and 2 of the 17 foot diameter wind generators. I can give you a little info from my experience in renewable energy.

Solar panels are the simply to maintain and are proably the best way to generate power. But only work when the sun is shining. Wind generation will work 24 hours a day as long as you have enough wind to make the amount of power you are needing. The biggest problem with any renewable energy is what are you going to with the power you are producing. The best way in my opinion is to grid tie the system and get credit for any excess you produce. But that can only be done with a grid and you power companys permission.

Batterys can be used for storage but are a pain in the backside. They require maintenance and are a expensive to purchase. A battery bachup system will approximately double the cost per kilowatt of electricity that you produce

I have also wanted to go with some sort of solar water well pump for watering cattle but have yet to do so.
    All of the renewable submersible pumps that I have found have not had a great customer rating with very little warranty and will not produce pressure the pressure that whe are used to having in our homes.

Hope this helps

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    One of the things you can do for for water is a water tower. This can be as simple as a plastic barrel on a stand or full fledged water tower. This works well with alternative power sources because the power doesn't need to be on demand. You can even go out and manually pump water once a day and just run off the stored water till it runs out. This is one of the earliest methods of providing "running water" before electricity became common. Some of the best things are old with just enough new to make them easy.

STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    I personally wouldn't rely on a generator unless it's just short term emergency. I plan on doing solar myself, not because I'm a greeny by any stretch, but because it's best way to achieve independence from the grid.

I currently have a household water catchment system and aeration septic system so my power is the only thing that I'm dependent on. I can help with the catchment system if you can give details of what your questions are.

For the water catchment system, what do you store the water in, how do you catch it? How do you filter it?

STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    I have a 4000 watt solar panel system and 2 of the 17 foot diameter wind generators. I can give you a little info from my experience in renewable energy.

Solar panels are the simply to maintain and are proably the best way to generate power. But only work when the sun is shining. Wind generation will work 24 hours a day as long as you have enough wind to make the amount of power you are needing. The biggest problem with any renewable energy is what are you going to with the power you are producing. The best way in my opinion is to grid tie the system and get credit for any excess you produce. But that can only be done with a grid and you power companys permission.

Batterys can be used for storage but are a pain in the backside. They require maintenance and are a expensive to purchase. A battery bachup system will approximately double the cost per kilowatt of electricity that you produce

I have also wanted to go with some sort of solar water well pump for watering cattle but have yet to do so.
    All of the renewable submersible pumps that I have found have not had a great customer rating with very little warranty and will not produce pressure the pressure that whe are used to having in our homes.

Hope this helps

Can you provide more information about where you got your panels, and wind turbines? Did you install them your self?

Top Bottom