• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Thermal imaging seems to be as close to an end-all-be-all night-time tactical advantage for the person behind the trigger. seems like it has alot of potential in the sporting arena as well, IE tracking etc.
    plus you never have to waste money on tracer rounds. you can jsut watch all fo them. the probelm so far for me is price

L3 Thermal Eye Renegade 320 ON SALE & FREE UPS Thermal Imaging Weapon Sight W/ Lenses & IL-ST D 1913 Rail Mount by Thermal Eye

that is the most inexpensive weapon mounted thermal system i could find. (albeit after an exhaustive 5 second google search)

any leads on a thermal rifle scope under 10 thousand dollars?
    they are so damn expensive, but seem liek so much damn fun!
    i wonder if i can get a $15,000 recreation grant from washington...
    Hurley's Gold

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I know of a guy that prototypes his thermal imaging. It's a pretty cool system, and he's working on getting the bugs out with the POI shift.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    One thing to note is that thermal imagers, at least the commercially available stuff, is not nearly as effective as some people think. It cannot see through thick barriers, most walls, etc so it's not quite like the "Hollywood" stuff and can't quite see through buildings in most circumstances. In many cases, if a person is inside a building and standing at least a few feet directly behind a window (just far enough so as to not transmit any heat to the window), you won't even be able to pick them up on many thermal imagers.

swsmailman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    East Texas
    The only thermal imaging stuff I have dealt with is the one camera our FD has, its like the size of one of those old portable black and white tv's that ran on like 6 D batteries and weighs a good bit, but when you turn it on it does it job way to well, only time we use it is when we are trying to find hot spots that are hidden behind walls and such. But it is also fun to put your hand on a wall for a couple of secs, remove it and then point the camera at it and you can tell the difference in the temps.

I do know that we got it through a grant from the state, so that was a good thing.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    yeah i am aware a thermal scope isnt going to turn my rifle into somethign from "Eraser" or a farsight from perfect dark, but that is good info for anyone else that might have googled up this thread.

and i am lookign into pvs-14 now.

edit---

looks like the guys at pvs-14.com "nordatlantic" only sell this stuff to law enforcement and military guys. whatsup with that?

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    going to hijack my own thread here.... does that o****? or am i jsut changing course and heading? ;)

anyway do most NV scopes still operate when turned off? meaning, if it was daytime, could i not turn on the NV scope, and jsut use it as a nromal sight?

Spiff

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Rockwall
    Day/night scopes exist, but they're expensive (more so than usual) and hard to get. The PVS-4 I've used has a scope cap with adjustable holes in it, and one setting is a heavily smoked lens that allows you to use it during the day. You'll be sorely disappointed if you want to use it as a day scope also, though.

Any NV/Thermal device will have to be turned on to use it. The military trend is going toward clip-on NV for weapon mounted stuff, where you leave your day scope mounted all the time and put the NV on in front of it when it gets dark.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    hmmm
    sounds sexy.

also expensive...
    maybe ill jsut get some "seethrough" mounts for it so i can still use my iron sights.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    very true.
    just trying to jsutify this grossly irresponsible spending to myself.
    ;)

Top Bottom