Military Camp

The treatment of animals in agriculture, and ag gag laws.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    Call the police? It never crossed my mind, nor anyone else’s. It was a pig. If he’d dressed out a black lab, yea.

I’ve dressed out tons of game in my driveway, the cops and neighbors just ask to go hunting.

Edit - a county animal shelter in a rural area with livestock in addition to cats and dogs isn’t the same as the SPCA. It wasn’t a no kill shelter either, far from it. Animals with behavioral or health issues were put down regularly.
    Lynx Defense

Last edited:

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    It wasn't his driveway.
    You made it sound as if it was on the property of the shelter.

ETA: And I never said there was a problem with what he did, just where he did it.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    It wasn't his driveway.
    You made it sound as if it was on the property of the shelter.

ETA: And I never said there was a problem with what he did, just where he did it.

I’m sure all the animal lovers at the shelter were just like “well, that’s that then”.

For reals though. It really really happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    Were the police called?
    I imagine it had to have broken some kind of law, trespassing, littering, loitering...

Would you call the law on someone for the various reasons you mentioned because they were slaughtering a pig and you didn’t agree with it? In a rural area?

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    "I’ve known a few vegans who fell off the wagon for health reasons."

Yep, Those 'health reasons' are often referred to as 'starvation'.

A hippy, dippy, friend of my wife, used to say she 'wouldn't eat anything with a face' and a few weeks later threw that idea on the burn pile and wolfed down cheese burgers and milk shakes and never looked back....

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Would you call the law on someone for the various reasons you mentioned because they were slaughtering a pig and you didn’t agree with it? In a rural area?

No, and I never said I disagreed with it, I'm sure it happens all the time, just not on the actual property of the shelter.

ETA: I presumed that the shelter people would have complained.

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya

No worries brother, it’s not as though anything we say here is earth shattering or profound.

Kinda silly to cry over a pig when employees are killing cats and dogs every week because there’s not enough space. Fortunately, the well behaved pets get adopted regularly. Except the pit bulls, which are a dime a dozen. Damn shame.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Birddog,

Right you are.

We're just having fun, occasionally straining as some get VERY serious...and this ain't the place for serious.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Would anybody else here be pissed if a stranger slaughtered an animal on your front lawn and left the remains behind for you to clean up?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Call the police? It never crossed my mind, nor anyone else’s. It was a pig. If he’d dressed out a black lab, yea.

I’ve dressed out tons of game in my driveway, the cops and neighbors just ask to go hunting.

Edit - a county animal shelter in a rural area with livestock in addition to cats and dogs isn’t the same as the SPCA. It wasn’t a no kill shelter either, far from it. Animals with behavioral or health issues were put down regularly.

ASPCA is one of the top dog killing orgs on the nation.

Just not Advertised as it conflicts with their public image and isn’t a great line for getting donations.

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    Would anybody else here be pissed if a stranger slaughtered an animal on your front lawn and left the remains behind for you to clean up?

Well of course.

I stopped volunteering for a reason. I’ve shed many a tear seeing a sweet dog hauled into the back room knowing it’s life would soon come to an end. I fed, watered and walked many of them.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

Yep.

There’s an odd blurring of context in the story that attempts to both shock and justify the supposed event.

But it’s on the Internet now so I can’t question the validity of the claim.

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    No. Simply our interpretation/perception of the event changes (and it should change, at least some) depending on whether the pig in question is a pet vs livestock. No, again, it's simply our perception thereof.

And let me be clear: I'm not arguing that cruelty to animals should ever be tolerated, either.

I am saying, though, that some things some people interpret as cruel simply aren't.

I agree with this. In addition to crops, we raised pigs and cattle on our farm. Anybody who has ever worked with pigs know that they scream bloody murder if you restrain them or make them do ANYTHING they don’t want to do.

I’ve castrated thousands of little pigs, put notches in their ears so we could track which sow and boar they were from, and hauled plenty of them to the slaughterhouse. They were raised for meat, but they were treated well and fairly while they were with us. Plenty of food, water and shelter, with no abuse or overcrowding.

Top Bottom