Patriot Mobile

The things the bug me about the TX LTC application.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dove_poppers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2019
    San Antonio, Tx
    I've viewed a copy of it online.

1. they ask for one's SSN: I don't know if a LTC will be denied if one fails to provide it.
    It's not required on the DROS to purchase a gun from an FFL even, only an option. There are some American citizens that don't even have a SSN. They've never worked as a W-2 employee in their lives. Maybe they are lifetime welfare bums. Maybe they are lifetime disabled. Maybe they've been independently rich all their lives. Maybe they've only been self-employeed and have a taxpayer ID number instead for the IRS. Maybe they've only worked under the table.

2. they ask about prior arrests and charges for past crimes: what they should only ask is whether somebody has been CONVICTED for any crime that would prohibit them from owning a gun in the first place as a felony, for example: an applicant should not be required to reveal getting busted for stealing a candy bar from Walmart on a separate form if that's all they have on their rap sheet

3. the standard fee which is $40 and non-refundable, if you fail the application, you get screwed out of this money for nothing: I think veterans and military as myself get a reduced fee or no fee as well as a firearms training requirement exemption for having been in the service

This is why I favor CC for states. No fees. No hassles. No red tape. No government pumping you for a lot of personal information. CCWs/LTCs are a way for the non-CC states to generate revenue from citizens. It's a way of taxing rights under the 2nd A. It's a way for the govt's to spy on its own citizens, infringe upon privacy rights. Imagine if you were to have to pay $40 every time you move an register to vote.
    Hurley's Gold

Last edited:

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    I understand your points, but at this point I'm just glad I can CC or OC. Those things weren't a hassle for me. My only complaint is the wait time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Frank59

Wheel Gunner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2018
    San Angelo
    I agree with #2. There was an elderly gentleman who shared a story about a year ago saying that DPS found something on his record from 40 years ago. It was a misdemeanor arrest and the charges were eventually dropped. He tried in vain to get paperwork showing the disposition of the case and the agency where it happened couldn't find it. The poor ole guy was battling cancer and finally gave up trying to get his LTC.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    #1. Just give them the number. They already have it anyway. Same goes for Texas driver's license.

#2. Agree, you should only have to list convictions.

#3. The fee used to be $140 IIRC. Now it is only $40. $25 if you are a vet and certain other categories. For the non-refundable part...don't apply if you know you won't qualify.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Lots of "maybes" in your first point. Maybe the vast majority of people have SSNs and they are the fastest and easiest way to identify someone. Without a SSN, it takes more time and effort to ensure they are dealing with the right person.

However, you also included one worth noting...

"Maybe they've only worked under the table."

So they broke the law?

Which addresses your second question, many are not smart enough on the law to determine what convictions are disqualifiers, so DPS makes it easy by having them just list any arrest and charges, and they will determine if it's an issue or not.

As for your third point, no matter if you are approved or not, processing an application takes time and money. I would prefer the applicant pays rather than the taxpayer (especially after your comment in #1!).

As for your preference for CC, I am not 100% I support it as there are issues with it. For one, anyone from a CC state who tries to carry in another via reciprocity is going to have issues if they can't produce a license if required. If the state has to issue one, it will take paperwork, which means the entire reason for CC is moot. Texas has an inexpensive and relatively easy process for getting a license, and the vast majority of those who apply are approved. The rare mistake does happen, but that is with any system that involves humans. For the most part it works.

So there really isn't any basis for your complaints. Hopefully in the future you will think about the problems in more detail beforehand!

Last edited:

dove_poppers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2019
    San Antonio, Tx
    #1. Just give them the number. They already have it anyway. Same goes for Texas driver's license.

#2. Agree, you should only have to list convictions.

#3. The fee used to be $140 IIRC. Now it is only $40. $25 if you are a vet and certain other categories. For the non-refundable part...don't apply if you know you won't qualify.

Lots of "maybes" in your first point. Maybe the vast majority of people have SSNs and they are the fastest and easiest way to identify someone. Without a SSN, it takes more time and effort to ensure they are dealing with the right person.

However, you also included one worth noting...

"Maybe they've only worked under the table."

So they broke the law?

Which addresses your second question, many are not smart enough on the law to determine what convictions are disqualifiers, so DPS makes it easy by having them just list any arrest and charges, and they will determine if it's an issue or not.

As for your third point, no matter if you are approved or not, processing an application takes time and money. I would prefer the applicant pays rather than the taxpayer (especially after your comment in #1!).

As for your preference for CC, I am not 100% I support it as there are issues with it. For one, anyone from a CC state who tries to carry in another via reciprocity is going to have issues if they can't produce a license if required. If the state has to issue one, it will take paperwork, which means the entire reason for CC is moot. Texas has an inexpensive and relatively easy process for getting a license, and the vast majority of those who apply are approved. The rare mistake does happen, but that is with any system that involves humans. For the most part it works.

So there really isn't any basis for your complaints. Hopefully in the future you will think about the problems in more detail beforehand!
    You're preaching to the choir here. Just pay the money. Beats jail.

The other option is not to carry in TX if one wants to forgo a LTC. One may also consider applying for a VIRGINIA non-resident license or other state non-resident license which TX recognizes. The SSN is optional and not mandatory on the Virgina application and 34 states recognize (honor) it.

The non-resident license lets CC state residents carry in other states were a CCW is required if the states honor it.

dove_poppers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2019
    San Antonio, Tx
    Is it a misdemeanor?
    How long ago did it happen?

Somebody with only one petty theft over the past five years would qualify under the Virginia non-resident application because less than two misdemeanors in the past 5 years is not a disqualifier there.

The Virginia non-res application is $100 and is valid for 5 years. You will need an NRA training cert or something of the like.

Apparently the prohibitions/disqualifiers against getting a LTC are more strict in many if not all LTC-issuing states than prohibitions that keep a person from buying gun at an FFL gun shop. It may be often easier to lawfully get a gun at an FFL gun shop than to get a LTC with a certain criminal record depending upon the LTC-issuing jurisdiction and the nature of the rap sheet.

Last edited:

dove_poppers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2019
    San Antonio, Tx
    Don't want to give up your SSN to the State of Texas?

Really?

Yep, and get a Virginia license...and move there while your at it.....

I don't like to give my SSN to any state for even a driver's license though I have had to in the past. The social security act of 1935 forbids its use for general personal identification. It's only something for the IRS, W-2 employers, perhaps lending and credit institutions, W-9 requesters and the SSA to know about. It should only be required to be revealed for federal income tax purposes.

Top Bottom