• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark2Cars

Never ever give up !!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2021
    Sanderson Texas
    of deciding whether to go with a reasonably priced digital scale or a balance beam scale. I am actually leaning more towards a balance beam for the following reasons. My small gun shop is a 8'x12' space in our 12'x24' shop building. My space is heated by a small electric heater in the winter and a "window shaker" ac unit in the summer and is partioned off from the rest of the space. I live in far west Texas where it really dusty (con) but very dry (pro). The more I read about digital scales the more concern I have about the relatively unstable temperature in my reloading space. I will not be loading large amounts of ammo at a time. The largest number I can see is perhaps fifty rounds at once. I will be loading rounds for my Winchester Model 70 precision bolt rifle. I am blessed to be friends with a rancher out here that has a one mile range. I want to try my hand at 500 yards to 1000 yards steels. In another thread I recently posted, two members here suggested a beam scale (thank you Mr. Baboon and Coyote). I have plenty of time so I do not have to rush when loading (which is never a good idea) so perhaps a beam is the way to start. I will appreciate all input and wisdom.

Last edited:

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    As long as you get quality and consistancy, the type is pretty much irrelevant. They both have pros and cons.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I have a Frankford Arsenel digital scale that I paid a little over $30 for. I've been using it for over a year and it works great.
    I check the accuracy before each session with the test weights just to make sure.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Air flow affects all "light measure " scales.
    That said, I use beam scales and shut off fans when setting and proving.
    About every 20 to 50 rounds.

Mark2Cars

Never ever give up !!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2021
    Sanderson Texas
    OK Fellows thank you for your input. Now can anyone tell me whether RCBS beam scales are made in the US or not ? I see comments about them being made in China. I would really like to by "made in America"

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    OK Fellows thank you for your input. Now can anyone tell me whether RCBS beam scales are made in the US or not ? I see comments about them being made in China. I would really like to by "made in America"
    I think all their stuff is made in the USA.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I've used electronic scales for a very long time without problems (though they do eventually die). All scales need to be checked periodically, and balance beam scales are very susceptible to air flow and dust. (Esp. the knife edge that the beam rides on.)

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I'm definitely an electronic scale guy. I've got a triple beam and I never use it - it just takes too long. I looked for a pretty long time and wound up with this: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012737577 and found it to be much more accurate than a Frankford arsenal one I had before. I do a lot of weighing though - every 5-6 rounds out of my progressive and virtually every round on my single stage.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I use electronic scales. Check them with a mass set before starting. Never had them off by much. Usually within rounding factor of their display unless a battery was low and they would get obviously weird, or weren’t properly set at the start.

That said, I still dump every load in to a beam scale (also checked before use) after it comes off the electronic scale and if they don’t match I find the problem. To me a beam scale feels more accurate. Couple of physical grains of powder don’t typically register on the mechanical, but on a beam it will move a hair. So I get way to worried about it and can’t help myself but drop a couple grains of powder on the tray with a pair of tweasers.

Doesn’t help my shooting any and my brass isn’t good enough for the effort, lol. I do see the beam as a very easy double check that costs me just a few seconds per round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark2Cars

Never ever give up !!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2021
    Sanderson Texas
    Thank you all for your suggestions !! Supply chain issues makes ordering reloading equipment a challenge. My order as it stands now is a RCBS Rebel press, a set of Hornady Lock n Load bushings, RCBS Uniflow III powder measure, Hornady G3 scale (a reasonable priced starter scale). I'll pick up a pre-owned beam scale off Ebay or perhaps here in the classifieds. I'll have to wait till I have classified priveleges. I also scored a Forster case trimmer w/3-Way Cutters & Motor BRAND NEW NEVER USED! off of Ebay.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Thank you all for your suggestions !! Supply chain issues makes ordering reloading equipment a challenge. My order as it stands now is a RCBS Rebel press, a set of Hornady Lock n Load bushings, RCBS Uniflow III powder measure, Hornady G3 scale (a reasonable priced starter scale). I'll pick up a pre-owned beam scale off Ebay or perhaps here in the classifieds. I'll have to wait till I have classified priveleges. I also scored a Forster case trimmer w/3-Way Cutters & Motor BRAND NEW NEVER USED! off of Ebay.
    You are a paying member.
    You should leave classifieds privileges.

Mark2Cars

Never ever give up !!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2021
    Sanderson Texas
    Follow up....I deleted the Hornady digital scale as a buddy here in Sanderson found a Cabela's XT 1800 digital scale that he sold me cheap. I also picked up a very clean RCBS 5-0-5 beam scale with cover off EB. It's a start !

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    I'm definitely an electronic scale guy. I've got a triple beam and I never use it - it just takes too long. I looked for a pretty long time and wound up with this: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012737577 and found it to be much more accurate than a Frankford arsenal one I had before. I do a lot of weighing though - every 5-6 rounds out of my progressive and virtually every round on my single stage.
    That Hornady scale has been discontinued

Top Bottom