• ...and so much more!
  • deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    the 3030, wont reliably expand a softpoint beyond 150m, Put a 60 gr Partition in the 223 and it will stop deer just as reliably as the 30-30 (ie, not all that well beyond 100m) the 60 gr can attain 3000 fps in a 20" barrel, loaded in a 5.56 chamber. 1200 ft lbs and none of it gets wasted on overpenetration, which is the case with most 30-30 hits. the wound channels look so close to the same that you'd never know which was which. You cant shoot them in the ass and expect to reach the vitals, but only an a-hole would do such a thing anyway.

I load a Speer 125g flat HP for my 30-30 that gives amazing expansion. I’ve taken deer and hogs with it. Rarely a step was taken.
    Guns International

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Isn't a larger round far more desirable for close range home defense?

In a low-velocity pistol cartridge, yes. That's why a 850fps .45" round does slightly more damage than a 850fps .380" round.

In rifle-velocity rounds like .223 and .308, other factors come into play.....like bullet construction and ballistic stability.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    and who might that be, in particular? The 223 can do it, if you can do it. most can't do it, period, so they try to make up for it with some overpowered, too heavy/bulky wasteful round. If you put good softpoints in the 223, ,it's a very fine manstopper. It's just silly to use a combat rifle without a suppressor. Why damage your hearing, have flash at night, kick up dust in prone, and be without a way to silently brain a sentry at 50m, in the dark? Why have something that's a bipod only clunk, which IS what a 20" barreled 308 with a suppressor is. You can carry only half as much ammo with the .30 bores, so shooting them at cover is a very good way to end up with no ammo. You aint GOT uncle sugar to bring help, ya know, nor extract you to a safe base with medical care en-route. you have to make do by having a brain. There are no levels of "acceptable casulties", when it's your family around you. So you dont go out in daylight, and you take cattle and preserve the meat, not moose or elk.
    700 miles is too far for Naval gunfire? WTF? When did the gulf get so far away? Not to worry Bravo 1/12 can't be too far.

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    Okay, I'll admit it, I need an Ontos for home defense. It's not diesel is that a problem.

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    So, no Ontos? They are so much fun. Especially firing all six gun at once. Damn, I so wanted one.

Sweepers, sweepers, sweepers man your brooms..........

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    9.3x62??? I would love a mauser actioned 9.3...

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

I would do awful awful things to get my hands on a double barrel 9.3x57.

If you want a Mauser, check out Simpson LTD. They sell a bunch of 9.3x57 Husqvarnas, and I think some 9.3x62s too. They're pretty cheap for what you are getting (around $400ish). The only thing to really watch out for on them is excessive headspace. Apparently that's not uncommon. Mine has it, but I make my 9.3x57 brass from 30-06, so I just set the sizing die up so that the shoulder is a bit farther forward than normal and the case headspaces correctly. It's a wonderful not so little round.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom