• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    This question came to mind while viewing another thread requesting recommendations for pocket carry. Not wanting to derail the thread, I thought I would ask this serious question on a new thread.

What are the merits of pocket carry? I understand the weapon is well-concealed, but don’t you lose access when seated?
    I carry often -almost always - and I usually have my North American Arms .22 in a pocket in addition to my primary. But I would have to stand or straighten out while sitting to access it.

I am big enough that I could easily get away with an Airweight or even a G26 in my pocket, but I’d have to stand up to retrieve it. For me, that means losing access to my firearm, while seated to watch a movie, go to the theatre, dine out, or drive a vehicle. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Iowashooter

Bitter Clinger
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2024
    Iowa
    I generally pocket carry 90%+ of the time because:

- I prefer ultra light items to carry (both gun and knife) and the ultra light pocket pistols I have fit well in my front pocket because they are also small

- they (pocket pistols) even carry well in my gym short pockets… whereas my relatively larger guns, in my IWB holster, would not work

- with pocket carry… I don’t have to worry about taking my coat/jacket off and having my gun and holster show

I usually carry this very light Keltec P-32 7+1 w/CT laser grip

IMG_9610.jpeg

I’ll soon also be able to carry this LCP .380 w/viridian laser (just ordered it today)… also in an uncle mikes or similar pocket holster. I’ll put the flush floor plate on the mag vs the one shown with extension.

It’s very close to the dimensions of the P32 and also very light.

IMG_9609.jpeg

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Convenience - I can simply put my pants on and slip the pocket holster and pistol into my pocket. Also, it means I can carry when I'm just wearing jeans and a tee shirt. No need for a cover garment (and I don't carry where the pistol will be next to my skin - that'll rust it quick).

Deep concealment - when I'm in a situation where I worry about my pistol being spotted (say, at the office where it's frowned upon for no good reason), pocket carry is less risky. Nobody looks at the bulge in my pocket when I'm seated, and it blends in completely when I'm standing. If I'm carrying IWB, there's a risk that the arm of my office chair might lift my shirttail up and expose the grip. Also true if I have to reach for something on a tall shelf.

If I'm going somewhere carry is prohibited - a hospital or the county courthouse, etc - it's easy to disarm temporarily without the annoyance of having an empty holster on my hip. The small size of the pistol makes it easy to stash in my car until I can slide it back into the pocket.

There's trade-offs, sure. It's not exactly convenient to get a hand into my front pocket when seated (but also not impossible), but there are also benefits.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    General, I envy you guys who are obviously well built and trim straight down. My situation has hindered me from even trying to buy a holster since can't "try before you buy".

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    General, I envy you guys who are obviously well built and trim straight down. My situation has hindered me from even trying to buy a holster since can't "try before you buy".

Oh, I'm not trim at all, and like you I have no butt. I've had good luck with AlienGear and Crossbreed IWB holsters, but I have to wear them at 3 o'clock or the gun will drag my pants right down and dig into my side overhang. DeSantis leather OWB holsters have been good for me, too. Worn at 2:45 for the same reason.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    Oh, I'm not trim at all, and like you I have no butt. I've had good luck with AlienGear and Crossbreed IWB holsters, but I have to wear them at 3 o'clock or the gun will drag my pants right down and dig into my side overhang. DeSantis leather OWB holsters have been good for me, too. Worn at 2:45 for the same reason.
    Thanks, I finally have at least a chart to explore.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Not being able to easily access my weapon while sitting is the reason I don’t pocket carry.

IWB at any point on my body works for me and is easily concealed by a t-shirt or shirt-tail.

I tried pocket carry a while back, but while seated in church I realized it was practically useless for me.

I can see it while going out for a walk or while in a store.

Thanks for the replies.

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    For several years my EDC was a Kahr P380 that I carried in my front pocket. I never had a problem drawing it while seated. I stopped carrying it when I started carrying my 9mm Kahr.

My grand daughter had wanted my P380 for a long time so I gave it to her. Now I am thinking that I need to get another one.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    Not being able to easily access my weapon while sitting is the reason I don’t pocket carry.

IWB at any point on my body works for me and is easily concealed by a t-shirt or shirt-tail.

I tried pocket carry a while back, but while seated in church I realized it was practically useless for me.

I can see it while going out for a walk or while in a store.

Thanks for the replies.
    Yeah I don't have a problem drawing when seated so it works well for me.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    I pocket carry when I'm dressed light and not wearing a belt. Usually walks around the neighborhood or going to the beach. I also pocket carry to the atm after work on night deposits because it's fast and easy

Top Bottom