• ...and so much more!
  • Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    A new indoor range has recently opened up in Killeen, and I had a chance to stop in during their grand opening. As you walk in, the first thing that will hit you is how clean and professional the place looks. "Well it should - it's brand new!" - that's not what I mean. The actual design of the front area is un-cluttered, all of the decor matches, and everything is sectioned off in a nice way. Overall, it has a nice clean, professional look like you would expect of a military or pd affiliated range.
    The gun range.jpg
    The Gun Range Sign.jpg
    Store Front.jpg

Next, I notice the front desk area - it is HUUUUUGE!!! It's not just huge with one person working it, but every time I've been there it has had at least two people working the desk and another floater in the main area, an RO walking people too and from the lines, a gun sales person working the counter, and a manager floating around. At this desk, they have everything you will possibly need to go shooting. I think I even saw ammo somewhere at one point. You can literally come here, buy a gun, buy everything you need to go with it, and start shooting. Orrrr - you can rent a gun. They do offer a selection of rifles and pistols for you to rent.
    Gun store.jpg
    Gun store 2.jpg

Once you're done at the check in desk, there are several options. You can go shoot, of course. If you're not ready for that, they have a nice gun counter set up. I was surprised not so much about the gun counter as I was the amount of guns. They have enough guns to be considered a small gun store. I've been to pawn shops with smaller gun selections. They have the typical rifle wall and glass cases for pistols, but then out in the middle of the floor they have kiosks with pistols that you can handle as well. Another thing I was surprised about was the few guns I priced seem to be about right. You weren't getting ripped off, they weren't going dirt cheap - they were about what you would pay if you were to go to Academy. This applied to their gear as well. They sell range bags, rifle cases, etc and all of their gear was priced right at what you would expect. There wasn't the usual mark up from the range going to academy to buy it and then charging you extra so they could make a profit.
    Break area.jpg
    Health Bar.jpg

Also onsite they have a classroom where they hold CHL classes, an aromorers room with a gunsmith and a guy who teaches reloading classes, a snack bar, and a simulation room. The simulation room is the same thing that Police Depts use where they put a simulation up on the wall of different scenarios playing out, and using an air gun, you can practice your response. Personally, this is the only public simulation room I know of, so that's pretty cool. The ranges themselves are pretty nice. They're your standard indoor setups with 25 yard pistol, 75 yard rifle, sound baffling everywhere, a target stand that moves to let you adjust distance, and steel dividers between shooters. As is the case with all indoor ranges - it DOES get loud in there so make sure you bring adequate ear protection.
    Classroom.jpg
    Armorers Room.jpg
    Pistol 25 yd 2.jpg

Now, pricing. They charge $30 an hour for rifle or handgun lanes only. $35 an hour if you want both. Before you get turned away - they do offer memberships that actually make sense. The cheapest one is $35/month after initial setup costs. If you can get over the initial setup costs, you are paying $35/month for unlimited range shooting and lanes set aside for members.

First - here's their standard pricing list:
    Hourly Prices
    $30 per hour for Handguns or Rifles ONLY
    $35 per hour for Handguns AND Rifles
    *FFL Transfer Fee : $20 per firearm ($5 for each additional firearm on same transfer)
    Firearm Rentals
    $15 per Handgun rental
    $25 per Rifle rental
    *Must purchase our ammunition for rentals
    *** Military/Law Enforcement Personnel 10% Discount on Hourly Prices and Monthly Membership Packages.

Bronze Package - $35 per month plus tax
    $100 one time enrollment fee. - You pay this one time, and you'll never pay it again.
    $20 Bronze ID Card
    Unlimited access to both ranges
    Discounts at the snack bar
    Complimentary hearing and eye protection rentals
    One complimentary gun rental a year
    One free t-shirt or hat

Silver Package - $45 per month plus tax
    $100 one time enrollment fee
    $20 Silver ID Card
    Bronze package PLUS:
    TWO complimentary gun rentals a year
    One annual guest pass
    10% discount on hourly fee for guests
    Discounts on gun rentals
    $10 FFL Transfer ($5 fee for additional firearms on same transfer)
    Discounts on certain merchandise

Gold Package - $59 per month plus tax
    $100 one time enrollment fee
    $20 Gold ID Card
    Bronze package PLUS:
    Five complimentary handgun rentals a year
    Two annual guest passes
    10% Discount hourly fee for guests
    Discounts on handgun rentals
    1 FFL Transfer fee waived per month. If exceeded, FFL transfers are $10.
    Free priority lane reservation via app, website, or call in (24 hour cancellation requirement or $35 fee will apply)
    Exclusive 30 min virtual simulator session free (normally $180.00) per month
    1 Free simulator gun rental per month
    Discounts for firearms
    50% off for each additional family member added to gold package
    Discounts on certain classes/training sessions

Overall, I gotta say - I'm impressed. I feel like for once, an owner of an indoor range might have the right idea. The crew seems pretty down to earth, the pricing is right, every amenity you could want is onsite. I was initially worried about the location, but it's right down the street from Ft Hood, so they were telling me they get packed during the lunch hour with troops wanting to pop off a few rounds on their lunch break. That's a great thing considering most units only take their troops to the range once or twice a year. I think this is going to be good for Killeen.
    Texas SOT

Last edited:

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Well, that is a little better than what I have heard, but still not cheap to shoot. I need to go by and take a look at them myself.
    I do know that you can NOT shoot steel case ammo, bi-metal bullets(tulammo) or solid lead bullets. Copper jacket soft points are ok. I called them to check for a customer.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

CaptScooby

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2014
    I've wanted to open an indoor range down here in San Antonio for years now. Right here by ft. Sam, there is a plot of land that could be used. Problem is, money. Certifications, the county and city laws and codes, the elected officials make it literally so freaking hard to cut through red tape and make it impossible. Texas is supposed to be military friendly, conservative and lawful... I'm finding it backwards

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Looks nice.

Do you plan on getting a membership or shooting there regularly Jeremy?
    No. I really like The Gun Range, but TSSR is closer, has more elbow room, is cheaper in the long run for how little I shoot, has more options for me to do (steel, paper, shotgun, lanes, etc...), and is ridiculously close to the house.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I've wanted to open an indoor range down here in San Antonio for years now. Right here by ft. Sam, there is a plot of land that could be used. Problem is, money. Certifications, the county and city laws and codes, the elected officials make it literally so freaking hard to cut through red tape and make it impossible. Texas is supposed to be military friendly, conservative and lawful... I'm finding it backwards

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    From what I understand, the owner used to own a major local gym, sold it, and used that money to build this place. You can tell - a LOT of money has been put into this. Smart location though, because property values there are lower.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Looks nice. I’ve never understood the ‘initiation fee’ + monthly dues and complicated levels of service for a place that’s also open to the public.

I belonged to a similar style range in CO only because they waived the initiation fee for me. $30/month in a brand new facility, online lane reservations, unlimited shooting. Cheaper for me to do that then pay to shoot twice a month.

I understand the fee is a profit center, but there isn’t $100 of cost associated with processing a new member, especially if it’s an online registration system like used in CO. Even fully manual process is 15 mins of time and a card.

But, people pay it so what do I know. Guess that shows why I’m not in the indoor range business, where it’s a $4+ million dollar capital investment just to open the doors.

Top Bottom