DK Firearms

The Fall of the Roman Empire .....Lessons Learned?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    I found this paper from a Kentucky school interesting. It is a World History page that discusses the reasons for the decline of the Roman Empire. I you look about midway down the first page you will see three main reasons for the destruction of the most powerful government in the world at that time. You can then apply these three to what we are seeing in the United States:

There were 3 main reasons for the fall of Rome which are: political instability, economic
    and social problems, and finally a weakening of the frontier or border

I have long been saying that there is a reason why the prophetic books of the Bible carry no reference to anything resembling the United States although there are entities that can easily be considered as representing China, Russia and the European Bloc. We will be long gone by then and, at the current rate, it may not be too far in the future.
    Capitol Armory ad

SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    US
    Without reading the paper, Roman society became infatuated with hedonistic desires, becoming ever-increasingly self-centered and therefore less society (community) oriented. Moral decay expedited their decline. I say this as a total and complete sinner, with humility to recognize and try to reduce the frequency of all the bad decisions I make over and over.

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    No doubt moral decline was at the core. I have read dozens of papers on this subject and political and social corruption are always at the core of the stated reasons.

The Left, however, as exemplified by Wikipedia, always leads with slavery as the main cause when, in fact, slavery had been common in that part of the world for 2,000 years. If Wikipedia had its way, the Italians would have to pay reparations!

Encyclopedia Britannica is a bit more isolated from the American Left so they take a more measured look at the reasons for decline. Read this summary and it again crosswalks over to much of what the Democrats and the Left are doing.

The concentration of an empire in the hands of an emperor like Commodus (180–192)—juvenile, incompetent, and decadent—was enough to steer it toward decline.

The following century was plagued by strife and mismanagement. When the commander of the Danube army, Septimius Severus, was swept to power in 193, he effectively made Rome a military monarchy. The “barbarian invasions” weighed heavily on the empire, as did usurpations and political destabilization. The instability fed on itself and was responsible for heavy expenditure of both life and treasure. Disruptions in commerce, harsh taxation, inflation, and extortion from stationed troops all contributed to perpetual economic hardship for decades.

wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    it was brought to my attention many years ago that the 'lead' used in their water pipes, wine cup and vintner apparatus cause mental defectiveness. just fyi...

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Don't mix the 'Fall of Rome' to the fall of the Roman Empire. There is a major time difference.

The Fall of Rome was in 476. While history, for some reason, called them the Byzantine Empire (started by Roman emperor Constantine the Great), they were Romans, and it fell in 1453.

Therefore, while many may say the Roman Empire ended with the Fall of Rome (approx. 1,000 years). It actually lasted nearly 2,000 years.

Top Bottom