The end of a road well travelled....

Mad John

Jan 15, 2019
Rural Illinois
I am announcing that I will be taking down my shingle as "gunsmith" after 50 years of devotion to the care and repair of our hobby. All of this may boil down to individual states keeping the 2A alive while others will deny our rights. Where I live. Illinois, is just such a wasteland. Democrat ownership of everything in Illinois by way of Chicago and The State House that can be purchased is very troubling. To say that it is very un-friendly to gun ownership is only the beginning of the end here.
I have already sold most of my tools, parts and supplies. I will be inventorying my collection with few exceptions for liquidation. This will be an arduous task with over 600 guns to evaluate. There are also a large number swords, sabers, bayonets and other weapons to be surveyed. I owe a debt of gratitude to several museums collections that I had worked for and will be making contributions to their exhibits.
I am not getting any younger and I have no children to pass along what I have and learned. I have a few nieces and nephews that are only interested in what will become of uncle John's collections. Just dollar signs.

Coyote9

Jan 13, 2020
Granbury Texas
I am announcing that I will be taking down my shingle as "gunsmith" after 50 years of devotion to the care and repair of our hobby. All of this may boil down to individual states keeping the 2A alive while others will deny our rights. Where I live. Illinois, is just such a wasteland. Democrat ownership of everything in Illinois by way of Chicago and The State House that can be purchased is very troubling. To say that it is very un-friendly to gun ownership is only the beginning of the end here.
I have already sold most of my tools, parts and supplies. I will be inventorying my collection with few exceptions for liquidation. This will be an arduous task with over 600 guns to evaluate. There are also a large number swords, sabers, bayonets and other weapons to be surveyed. I owe a debt of gratitude to several museums collections that I had worked for and will be making contributions to their exhibits.
I am not getting any younger and I have no children to pass along what I have and learned. I have a few nieces and nephews that are only interested in what will become of uncle John's collections. Just dollar signs.
Sounds like it was a good path, fair winds

baboon

TGT Addict
I grew up in Chicago’s armpit Joliet and left in 1982 with $500.00 and a place to crash in Houston.

Even at the young age of 23 I knew I had to get out of Illinois. Houston was booming & every thing seemed new compared to the rust belt I left.

Now I find myself old fat & gimpy living in a rural area and wondering just how my family still lives up there.

Month’s back when Houston was under threat of another tropical storm a great niece made her way to Houston via FEMA. She is trained as an EMT and off on an adventure.

Like all things done by the government we didn’t get a chance to meet up, even with her being literally blocks away.

She told me back then she had plans to relocate to Dallas. I sent her a text message last week, but never heard back. Perhaps it was the area code of my new paradise!

Axxe55

Just a man, and his dogs.
Dec 15, 2019
somewhere.....East Texas.
MJ, the best of luck to the next fork in the road you take sir. I hope you will continue to share the vast amount of knowledge and insight you have gained over the years. We are truly richer for you being here.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Shroud
Every Day Man

Latest posts

Forum statistics