• ...and so much more!
  • TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Alice is in the process of retiring. Didn't always agree with her - some of our disagreements were pretty damned spectacular - but she knows who the players are, to give the devil her due.

So, anyway - fire up that checkbook, scooter! lol

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    like Bonnen? Just joined Texas Gun Rights as they seem to be the only no-compromise gun rights organization in Texas at the moment. Never give the devil any due or he will turn around and bite you in the arse. Alice just threw us under the bus. I did fire up the checkbook...not to TSRA

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    like Bonnen? Just joined Texas Gun Rights as they seem to be the only no-compromise gun rights organization in Texas at the moment. Never give the devil any due or he will turn around and bite you in the arse. Alice just threw us under the bus. I did fire up the checkbook...not to TSRA

Ah - okay - you're here to bash.....got it. I have no issue w/TGR, they're a focused-issue group, which is cool. I'm trying to look more at the big picture, which can become convoluted at times (to say the least). But rather than bash one group vs another, why not talk about the things you like about one group and save the negative hyperbole for the snowflakes.......

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    Alice Tripp is an enabler for Bonnen. No money for Texas State Rifle Association as long as she is there.
    I emailed her and told her the same thing. Her replies were professional enuff but always with excuses. I did register for the NRA CC expo coming to FtW in September but they have not seen me donate in awhile despite my next level up life member status.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Quit TSRA a few years back when Alice Tripp wrote, supported and got passed an anti-hunting bill (basically it required more acreage to hunt on, thus reducing the places you could legally hunt) and the defended it. TSRA has literally done nothing for Texas gun owners since OC in 2015. More disgusted with TSRA than NRA if you could believe it.

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    Ah - okay - you're here to bash.....got it. I have no issue w/TGR, they're a focused-issue group, which is cool. I'm trying to look more at the big picture, which can become convoluted at times (to say the least). But rather than bash one group vs another, why not talk about the things you like about one group and save the negative hyperbole for the snowflakes.......
    No bashing intended. Constitutional carry should be a no brainer for the TSRA. Other states have passed it and Texas is still without it? The TSRA is silent on Bonnen and even enabling his lies. No bashing just the truth. The TSRA needs some changes. If the big picture includes throwing Texans who support Constitutional Carry under the bus then count me out. Tripp even tried to paint the organization as a bunch of fringe radicals. If someone at the TSRA with cajones kicks her out and changes course and denounces Bonnen for what he is I might join. I am tired of organizations that have two faces on the issue of firearms. I am a life member of the NRA and I have shut the money spigot off to them till there are some resignations and changes.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    TSRA has pushed for CC for the past several sessions. We had it heading for the "win" column, but unfortunately some of the other pro-CC forces decided to try some "muscle" in the capital, and it torpedoed the efforts. Their hearts were in the right place, but it set us back several sessions, unfortunately. It's still something being worked on. You speak of throwing people under the bus - that's just what you're doing w/the TSRA. There's been a number of us working from the inside to change things - I'll point out that for the first time last year, TSRA publicly stated going into the session that it was our intent to push for CC. Did we (and others) get screwed? Yeah, IMO we did. Having said that, we also have to deal with those that are elected - only their constituents can change who is sent. You really should spend some time with TSRA members and see what the core group is working towards - it's not nearly as quick as ANY of us would like, but we are making progress - and there's more to come. By the same token, Alice did a LOT of good over the years, and there have been times when she's even told us - you won't like this any more than *I* do, but either we go with this or we get *nothing*. Sorry - I'll take a minor advance over a setback, and come back to fight another day.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    TSRA has pushed for CC for the past several sessions. We had it heading for the "win" column, but unfortunately some of the other pro-CC forces decided to try some "muscle" in the capital, and it torpedoed the efforts.

These were the legislative priorities TSRA sent me for 2019. CC is not one of them. Despite that, a CC bill was introduced (HB357), and promptly died in Committee, as most know TSRA supported Bonnen, and Bonnen appointed Democrats to key Committees that must discharge gun bills. It was DOA long before the dimwits showed up.

House Bill 1009 by Rep. Will Metcalf (R-Conroe) clarifies the definition of "school-sponsored activity" in the Texas Penal Code to avoid the establishment of roving gun-free zones in buildings or areas that are not owned by or under the control of a school or postsecondary educational institution.

House Bill 1143 by Rep. Cole Hefner (R-Mount Pleasant) limits the authority of school districts to regulate the manner in which firearms and ammunition are stored in private motor vehicles parked on school property (including by school employees).

House Bill 1149 by Rep. James White (R-Woodville) ties eligibility for a License To Carry a handgun to the ability to purchase a firearm.

House Bill 1177 by Rep. Dade Phelan (R-Beaumont) & Senate Bill 506 by Sen. Brandon Creighton (R-Conroe) protect citizens from being charged with a crime for carrying a handgun while evacuating from an area subject to a mandatory order issued during a declared state or local disaster, or while returning home.

House Bill 1231 by Rep. Dan Flynn (R-Van) & Senate Bill 535 by Sen. Donna Campbell (R-New Braunfels) repeals the prohibition on carrying in churches or other places of worship.

Senate Bill 472 by Sen. Bryan Hughes (R-Mineola) protects the rights of tenants to lawfully possess firearms in their residential or commercial rental properties and to transport their guns between their personal vehicles and those locations.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    These were the legislative priorities TSRA sent me for 2019. CC is not one of them. Despite that, a CC bill was introduced (HB357), and promptly died in Committee, as most know TSRA supported Bonnen, and Bonnen appointed Democrats to key Committees that must discharge gun bills. It was DOA long before the dimwits showed up.

Sorry - you weren't paying attention.....and it was the 2017 session where the best chances were stymied by some ill-advised activities. Below is what was passed out last year at the Annual Meeting, and I had these out at all functions I attended.

Bonnen? I've made NO secret of my opinion of him, and I'm sincerely hoping that there will be new direction for TSRA political endorsements going forward.

Legislative.jpg

Attachments

• Legislative.jpg
      Legislative.jpg
      55.2 KB · Views: 452

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    My first instinct is to always give those on our side the benefit of the doubt. Having dealt tangentially on legislative matters in a prior life, I understand that navigating those waters isn't always as easy as it appears it should be from the outside.

However, I also admit to being increasingly frustrated by how difficult the fight for open carry was, and the apparent non-commitment to constitutional carry. I understand that you sometimes lose the fight, but I at least want to see a fight.

What exactly did Tripp do?

roadkill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    She told us we don’t know the whole story while telling us stuff was happening in the background but not telling us exactly what was happening in the background and mentioned political capital but never telling us exactly what political capital was or just how it was spent. In other words we have no clue.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    She told us we don’t know the whole story while telling us stuff was happening in the background but not telling us exactly what was happening in the background and mentioned political capital but never telling us exactly what political capital was or just how it was spent. In other words we have no clue.

She WOULD explain it....but it generally would put ya to sleep...and the capital part - well, I understand it, but I'm not always so sure it was well spent. Thing is, when you're dealing with a political body such as the Texas Leg, you have all kinds of personalities and end games - and much as we might wish it were otherwise, many folks are simply afraid of armed citizens. Look within our own circles at the OC vs CC debates that rage on among gun owners. Honestly, one of my most frustrating hot buttons - if YOU don't want to OC, then don't - but dammit, stop trying to belittle others that DO. You do you, let me do me. If I'm wrong, then *I* will pay the price. But again - it's a perfect example of the kind of battle you encounter with the general legislative bodies. And THEY write the laws - not us. I don't care how much you may not like it, and how wrong it may be - that is what it is. That's why I'll financially support ANY candidate that is pro-2nd - and the more they lean to CC, the more that wallet will open.

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    Alice is in the process of retiring.

Retiring? She should be fired!

That's why I'll financially support ANY candidate that is pro-2nd - and the more they lean to CC, the more that wallet will open.

You may want to send Rhonda Seth a donation. She is challenging bonnen in the primaries. Here is a link to her site.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom