Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Have they started demo’ing the Pierce Elevated? OKC did a similar project about 15 years ago and it was one of the best things they did for that part of town.
    AFAIK, no. I've witnessed that event once before and I have great sympathy for the folks who will have to live through it when they do it again.
    Hurley's Gold

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I associate Downtown Houston with the courts & jail first off. Next is traffic on streets I don't know. We would venture into mid town to eat regularly. Never really cared to go to the George R Brown for gun shows.

Pretty much hated 45 north on coming into downtown for it retard drivers.

Now it have to be at least $2,500.00 bribe to get me to drive into down town Houston, cash front and that's just driving thru.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    We had to go last spring for a volleyball tournament at the George R. Brown. Homelessness was not as bad as it is in Austin but at night there seemed to be a lot of young people on various types of bikes, scooters and electric skateboard things buzzing around for no apparent reason. I can't say I ever felt specifically threatened but it kept my radar up.

The streets just behind the Brown have a lot of cool bars and restaurants. I didn't like having to walk under the freeway to get there (which I think is now I-69, used to be Southwest Frwy) but it is what it is. 8th Wonder Brewery is awesome if you're into craft beer. We found a great Vietnamese restaurant (can't remember the name) and really enjoyed Vinny's pizza.

Since we were there on a weekend I can't speak to what a weekday office crowd is like.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    That used to be Chinatown until Chinatown moved out to BW8/Bellaire. At one point in my life, I spent a lot of time there.
    When I was a kid, my dad occasionally had to go in to downtown Houston for his job. I remember him taking me to the original James Coney Island a couple of times. I was probably around 6 or 7 years old, if that, but I still remember that assembly line of men in white outfits slapping chili and hot dogs and onions together. Good times.

Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball
    I remember back when the big homeless camp downtown was under the Pierce Elevated and stretched for blocks. Back then, my mom would fix giant pots of stew, load 'em in the back of a Mercury Marquis, and head down there. She'd just pull right into the middle of all that, pop the trunk, and dish out stew, bread, and water until she ran out.

She didn't tell me about it until much later. She was afraid I'd worry for her safety.

Then the 1990 Houston G-7 summit happened. It was ostensibly held at Rice University but a huge amount of work was done at the Leland federal building and in the offices of the law firm just the other side of the Pierce Elevated. In anticipation of that, the city dispersed that camp and made it illegal to feed the homeless the way she'd been doing. She had to stop.

Sorry. Just reminiscing a bit.

Thanks for the Intel. I can't imagine needing to be near that encampment but it's good to know where it is.

ETA - I checked and the kayak/canoe rentals that could easily go past that encampment don't. They stay well to the west of it.

The world would be better if there were more people like your mom.

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    When I was a kid, my dad occasionally had to go in to downtown Houston for his job. I remember him taking me to the original James Coney Island a couple of times. I was probably around 6 or 7 years old, if that, but I still remember that assembly line of men in white outfits slapping chili and hot dogs and onions together. Good times.
    Was it the old location - two stories tall with seating upstairs, wooden floors, and no ac? That is the one I remember but that was in the 60s and early 70s.

FNORD

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    HOUSTON
    Main and Walker

I started eating there in the early 60’s when we came to Houston to shop.

My mother ate there insince 1932. They opened there in 1923.

The chairs with built on trays would appear at other locations when that location closed.

Later they opened a location at or near Louisiana.

Last edited:

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    When I moved to Houston in 2000 my wife worked downtown. I'd go in to have lunch with her. I remember driving through town and not seeing many people. I know Houston has a lot of people, I asked my wife where are all the people? NYC people everywhere. She told me about the tunnels, took me down there, into another world. Everything you could want was in the tunnels.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Treebeards.

I would have lunch there about once a week when I worked downtown at Texas Commerce Tower as it was known then.

The food was good, relatively inexpensive and fast.

The line of the hungry (there was always a line) always moved quickly.

The biggest hurdle to eat there meant you had to walk pass a gauntlet of begging bums.

Fortunately, they were easily discouraged...

jetcycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Shoreacres, TX
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Treebeards.

I would have lunch there about once a week when I worked downtown at Texas Commerce Tower as it was known then.

The food was good, relatively inexpensive and fast.

The line of the hungry (there was always a line) always moved quickly.

The biggest hurdle to eat there meant you had to walk pass a gauntlet of begging bums.

Fortunately, they were easily discouraged...
    There's a treebeards in the tunnel directly below my office at 1100 Louisiana. I typically bring my lunch because I'm so frugal, but once every month or two I'll venture down for lunch...usually get the side trio combo, and I almost always get mustard greens, black eyed peas, and dirty rice.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    jet,

They moved down into the tunnel, eh?

Their old location was above ground...things change, sigh...

I hope they still make great 'red beans and rice' with no limit on helping yourself to their terrific French bread?

Their desserts were great too!

jetcycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Shoreacres, TX
    jet,

They moved down into the tunnel, eh?

Their old location was above ground...things change, sigh...

I hope they still make great 'red beans and rice' with no limit on helping yourself to their terrific French bread?

Their desserts were great too!
    I believe they've always had both locations downtown, I've worked in this building for 11 years and treebeards has been here at least that long. Their red beans and rice are always solid, but if you're ever craving some without going downtown, your local Walmart likely sells Blue Runner red beans in a can. Slice and saute a link of sausage and dump in a can of those beans and you'll have a tasty treat in as much time as it takes to make rice.

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    I believe they've always had both locations downtown, I've worked in this building for 11 years and treebeards has been here at least that long. Their red beans and rice are always solid, but if you're ever craving some without going downtown, your local Walmart likely sells Blue Runner red beans in a can. Slice and saute a link of sausage and dump in a can of those beans and you'll have a tasty treat in as much time as it takes to make rice.

Blue Runner Cajun Style beans are what I used for red beans and rice. Very good beans.
    And add Eddy's Sausage.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    jet,

Thanks for the great tip on the beans and sausage recipe.

My memories of Treebeards is plus 30 years old...but, yes now that you mention it, I think the other Treebeards was also located above ground when I was a customer.

Their migrating into the tunnel was yet to be...but it was way out of the way for where I was located downtown and getting there on 'shanks mare'.

1911's,

My favorite sausage is 'Prasak's', but I will try Eddy's Sausage soon.

Thanks!

Top Bottom