Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Part of the Code says:
    * No racial ... comments.
    If identifying the race of a person is germane, by all means do it.

If, OTOH, you just want to identify a race of people to point out that they don't meet some standard of yours or that they all tend to act in a substandard way, you're being a dick and you're in violation of the rules.

The easiest way for the staff to identify the latter case is when pejorative racial identifiers are used. We don't, for example, tolerate the use of the N-word in any context. If we did, we'd make TGT look bad, very bad, and open up the wider 2A community to legitimate and devastating criticism.

I've just removed a thread where a racial identifier was used. To skirt the rules, it was done by misusing an identifier for a religious group.

This is subject to interpretation and, as I've said in other times and places, there is always context to consider. However, as far as I'm concerned I will, starting now, not hesitate to permaban any member who thinks they can get away with using a pejorative racial identifier just by radically misspelling it.

If you want to use the N-word and think it's acceptable to use it simply by misspelling it as "Amish", then I suggest you find a new online home. A transcoded racial epithet remains a racial epithet and, therefore, a violation of the Code of Conduct.

Note: Since this represents an evolution in moderation standards, no action is being taken in the case of the removed thread. I just don't want to see anyone else trying to be that cute again. We, TGT and gun owners in general don't need that crap.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Part of the Code says:

If identifying the race of a person is germane, by all means do it.

If, OTOH, you just want to identify a race of people to point out that they don't meet some standard of yours or that they all tend to act in a substandard way, you're being a dick and you're in violation of the rules.

The easiest way for the staff to identify the latter case is when pejorative racial identifiers are used. We don't, for example, tolerate the use of the N-word in any context. If we did, we'd make TGT look bad, very bad, and open up the wider 2A community to legitimate and devastating criticism.

I've just removed a thread where a racial identifier was used. To skirt the rules, it was done by misusing an identifier for a religious group.

This is subject to interpretation and, as I've said in other times and places, there is always context to consider. However, as far as I'm concerned I will, starting now, not hesitate to permaban any member who thinks they can get away with using a pejorative racial identifier just by radically misspelling it.

If you want to use the N-word and think it's acceptable to use it simply by misspelling it as "Amish", then I suggest you find a new online home. A transcoded racial epithet remains a racial epithet and, therefore, a violation of the Code of Conduct.

Note: Since this represents an evolution in moderation standards, no action is being taken in the case of the removed thread. I just don't want to see anyone else trying to be that cute again. We, TGT and gun owners in general don't need that crap.

Ben, while the use of ‘N-word’ in your comment is descriptive, some may take it as a literal limit, as you found in this instance.

As a relatively new member still, and with a somewhat unique background, I would argue that implied context is what matters.

I’ll give this example. Operation Wetback is a formal name of USG agency initiative. While wetback is a pejorative, in a case where the context is clearly related to this action, I would argue it doesn’t violate the CoC.

By the same logic, referring to the recent arrest of a truck driver at a port of entry trying to smuggle 69+ people into the US, as his own personal Operation Wetback may not result in the same conclusion.

I’m not arguing the term wetback is pejorative, it’s the context in which it is used. What makes this difficult online is the anonymity of the online environment. When you strip linguistic context down to solely the written word, I appreciate the difficulty moderators have in making those decisions.

A few months ago, there was a discussion around whether or not TGT is a lace where all feel welcome and there were several examples given, to include the Man Cave, which was gone before I got here.

Like you, I believe TGT is a better place without Man Cave than with it. I’ll also tell you that same lesson can be applied to this topic and don’t fear a hard line. We can have tough and honest discussions without crossing a line that would potentially keep a fellow Texan from joining us.

But, keep in mind, California isn’t a protected class :).

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I appreciate the difficulty moderators have in making those decisions.
    I appreciate your appreciation.

I note, however, that I said and try to consistently stand by:
    ...as I've said in other times and places, there is always context to consider.
    Whenever I fail to do so, don't hesitate to call me out on it.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I appreciate your appreciation.

I note, however, that I said and try to consistently stand by:
    Whenever I fail to do so, don't hesitate to call me out on it.

Like I said, I’m kind of unique. Now you know I don’t always get the fine details right the first time.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW

Oooh! So that's what that thread was about. Saw the subject line, didn't click on it. Never heard that one before. But I've heard "Canadians" and "Irish".

Top Bottom