The best local instructors?

avvidclif

Sturgis '95, RFTW 2010
TGT Supporter
Aug 30, 2017
Van Zandt County
On the distance thing: Years ago we strapped a S&W model 36 (Chief 5 shot 38 SP 2" barrel) into a Ransom Rest. Best I remember at 50 yds it was grouping under 3" using Federal Match 148ge HBWC. So much for barrel length, the biggest difference was sight radius.

Axxe55

Just a man, and his dogs.
Dec 15, 2019
somewhere.....East Texas.
On the distance thing: Years ago we strapped a S&W model 36 (Chief 5 shot 38 SP 2" barrel) into a Ransom Rest. Best I remember at 50 yds it was grouping under 3" using Federal Match 148ge HBWC. So much for barrel length, the biggest difference was sight radius.
For many years, I believed that barrel length was an indicator to accuracy. Shorter barrels = less accurate. Longer barrels = more accurate. I was wrong. I read an article in some gun magazine, many years ago where they tested that theory. Don't remember the gun or cartridge used but it was a rifle. They put the gun into rest and zeroed it, then proceeded to shoot groups, then they would shorten the barrel by an inch, then test again. Don't remember exactly how much they ended up cutting off the barrel, but accuracy didn't change as much as expected, or as one would assume.

After some research on my own, my conclusions came to this. Barrel length by itself isn't a factor in accuracy. But there are many factors that affect accuracy. Quality of the barrel and it's rifling, twist ratio, powder and bullet selection, and probably many more.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
Nov 16, 2010
SE TX/Gulf Coast
I agree 100% with all you said room clearing tactics are for someone who doesn’t know the layout and is looking for a hidden target. I know my house layout and a home invader isn’t hiding from me.

Long range my ass average shooting is under 7 yards and takes less that 1.2 seconds start to finished.

Most people live in urban neighborhoods on lots averaging 60x120ft there is no long range need here and if you pull out your deer rifle with 3.5-10x you’ll have a hell of a time justifying self defense

Vehicles haha most people think their 9 or 40 will penetrate a windshield IT WONT especially not head on the windshield angles are to steep for vehicle aerodynamics low velocity small caliber won’t penetrate no matter how many action movies shows it. (hint shoot down on to the windshield to penetrate need to contact it flat angle)

If you want to learn skills then learn to draw from deep concealment. Learn to fire accurately from the hip. Learn trigger control.

Most importantly Learn Zanshin (a state of awareness, of relaxed alertness).

Most people are so unaware of their surroundings they are screwed before they even realize there is a threat.

That’s what kept me alive as a cop. And I teach as a trainer.
In your comment you mention being a cop. Am I to assume you’ve shot through windshields in real life or in training? I’ve shot through windshields,side windows, and back glass. My findings for 9 mm, 40 S&W, and 223 don’t mirror your comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gilbertc13

Sep 27, 2018
Katy
I’m going to have to agree with Jon on this one. 9mm FMJ and hollowpoints will go through a windshield

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TxKronik

Jul 31, 2019
San Antonio
In your comment you mention being a cop. Am I to assume you’ve shot through windshields in real life or in training? I’ve shot through windshields,side windows, and back glass. My findings for 9 mm, 40 S&W, and 223 don’t mirror your comment.

Yes and I experience and I have not seen penetrations one windshields

Side and rear yes but not front

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
May 28, 2008
Mustang Ridge
Yes and I experience and I have not seen penetrations one windshields

Side and rear yes but not front
Did some instructor level training that involved shooting a hole in the windshield and using it as a shooting port. Both from inside a vehicle and outside.
Most of the students were using 9mm or 40s&w. 100% of shots fired put holes in the windshields.
This was a LE training class I was able to get in as a commissioned security instructor

Jon Payne

Well-Known
Nov 16, 2010
SE TX/Gulf Coast
Did some instructor level training that involved shooting a hole in the windshield and using it as a shooting port. Both from inside a vehicle and outside.
Most of the students were using 9mm or 40s&w. 100% of shots fired put holes in the windshields.
This was a LE training class I was able to get in as a commissioned security instructor
Yep, I’ve shot from inside the vehicle and outside shooting into the passenger compartment. I’ve shot through doors, trunk, and “pillars”.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
Nov 16, 2010
SE TX/Gulf Coast
If someone wants to live up to their own low expectations I’m cool with that. If they think they can measure my abilities by their standards they can fornicate themselves with a cactus.

Gilbertc13

Sep 27, 2018
Katy
“Fornicate themselves with a cactus.” I damn near spit my drink out on my laptop

Mike_from_Texas

Feb 10, 2010
North Texas
If someone wants to live up to their own low expectations I’m cool with that. If they think they can measure my abilities by their standards they can fornicate themselves with a cactus.

There’s a meme for that.

7f3e21be31119663e7c0f2d67abfe580.jpg

Attachments

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs